Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do your own oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 08:47 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Why do your own oil change

One more reason I do as much work I can myself. I know I'm getting the best. I don't want to get ripped off for the worst. They are slick in how they do their scam.
Old 05-09-16, 08:53 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Not only that but I don't want some cheap oil filter from any quick oil change
Old 05-09-16, 09:21 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I hope Toyota or Lexus dealerships don't do this

This is really just stealing money, it is theft when you charge someone for a higher priced product/service but just give them the low end product/service, you stole the customers money plain and simple. If the shop owner or mechanic was criminally charged with theft and had to return the stolen money I am sure this would solve the problem but it is doubtful that will happen and they are protected under some technicality which is why they do it. I try to change my own oil and fluids and do all the work I can because of this and past experiences taking my vehicles to mechanics/dealerships. The dealership changed my full synthetic German Castrol oil when I did not request it by mistake when I was having a my car looked at, I hope at least they really put the "synthetic" 5w30 in my car but I don't like not knowing for sure and wish they just left the better oil in there I did myself, I would have a fit if I put Amsoil in there which is very expensive.
Old 05-09-16, 09:32 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Usually the scams I heard from quic oil change shops were about up selling extra services. Then them not doing or partially doing them. About two years ago, I took tires I had bought from tire rack into a Firestone to get them installed. I was watching through the glass. The guy had mounted them all acted like he was going to balance them. Then he installed them on my car. The service advisor said my car was all done. I told him the wheels were not balanced. He goes out talks to the guy and comes back and tells me they were balanced. I told him I watched the whole time, no he didn't. He went out there told him balance them. The guy was pissed and kept staring at me with a glare. Left and never would go there again.
Old 05-09-16, 05:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

A long time ago I had my brake pads changed at Sears, a few months later I took my car to another shop for a oil change and they said I needed new brake pads, I told them they were just changed and he showed me how little pad material was on them and how they were never changed. I drove to Sears with the receipt and of course they tried saying they changed them and were not responsible, I heard another customer complaining about the same thing, and I told them to stop playing games and do what I paid them to do or refund all my money. They begrudgingly did it, while I was waiting there were other customers saying they were changed for services they never did including another brake job. A guy I knew who worked there when I told him what happened said he was not surprised, they did stuff like that all the time and gave mechanics a cut of profits they made for jipping customers.
Old 05-10-16, 05:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

even dealerships screw up simple *** tasks: leaving oil cap off, tightening the oil filter or drain bolt like their life depended on it, not filling up with enough oil
Old 05-10-16, 09:03 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been to one of those "oil stops" like Jiffy Lube etc. for a lot of years. But when I used to go there, I would stop off at a Kragen and get the better oil/filter I wanted and then bring it there. I would stand nearby and monitor those oil bottles and filter from when the worker took them from my vehicle and put them up onto his work table, till they got poured into the motor and naturally the filter swap too. They used to allow you bringing in your own oil and then omitted the oil/filter charge from the service. Not sure if still so but they should.
Old 05-11-16, 07:35 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
even dealerships screw up simple *** tasks: leaving oil cap off, tightening the oil filter or drain bolt like their life depended on it, not filling up with enough oil
The key at a dealer is FAST, that is how the techs make the money. And I suppose the new kids get the oil change jobs, and the pay is likely very low. And yeah either the oil plug is too loose or torqued to 500 ft lbs.
There are lots of stories on the net about either no oil or oil plugs falling out and ruined engines.
Old 05-11-16, 08:47 PM
evident
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Yep . Honda dealership somehow screwed up my rotors during an inspection and tire rotation. Tightened the nuts too tight and when I applied brakes I got a death wobble.
Old 05-11-16, 09:16 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I started a thread last October about this and how I went to an MB dealership here to get my car serviced. With my dash cam, I noticed that the car went into the service area, but didn't make it to the lift. It was simply parked in there, where the car turns off and so does the video feed, and the next video starts up with them driving it back to the parking lot. I questioned the SA about this and he said the services performed didn't require the car to be lifted up...

I agree with the oil change, since it can be vacuumed out, but I also paid for a brake fluid service which I thought required the wheels to be removed. He assured me there was a valve somewhere in the back, so I didn't push any further. Just saying that I dont think these scams go out at the local places but at dealerships too
Old 05-11-16, 10:09 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took my vehicle to Jiffy Lube to have the oil changed once. The technician did not tighten the oil drain plug or the filter. I pulled into my neighborhood and after glancing in my rearview mirror I see a trail of of fluid behind my path of travel. I pulled into my garage and jacked my car up to find the 2 major discrepancies; oil filter and drain plug where both loose. I checked the level and I had roughly 3/4 of a quart of oil left. I'm really blessed I didn't decided to go on a longer trip after the oil change or I would probably have done some major damage to the engine. They did send their technician out to my house and fix the problem.
Old 05-12-16, 05:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I agree with the oil change, since it can be vacuumed out, but I also paid for a brake fluid service which I thought required the wheels to be removed. He assured me there was a valve somewhere in the back, so I didn't push any further. Just saying that I dont think these scams go out at the local places but at dealerships too
depending where the bleeder valve is you dont have to remove the wheels. Ive done many brake bleeds just on rhino ramps with wheels on