Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you love about your daily driver . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 07:52 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy the smooth, powerful and efficient V6 in my Camry SE and the ability to surprise many luxury cars at traffic lights
Old 05-17-16, 08:24 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 IS250 awd is really nice looking (especially in the black color I chose), has some nice features, has contrasting white stitching on the black leather which is something nobody did on an entry-level luxury car. Also, while the steering is not even half as good as it is in my E90 BMW, it still has some nice weight to it unlike most cars. Reliability too.
Old 05-18-16, 02:57 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The one I've been driving since Saturday? That we just sold it to a really nice guy from Queens

Joking aside.. 90% of the time it's an LS or a GS... LS? I love sinking into that big La-Z-Boy seat and cruising home after a long day in ridiculous comfort. GS? Ripping it around the offramps on the way home
Old 05-18-16, 03:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
S5... love the speed, the handling, the exhaust note, the well-made driver-centric interior, the exterior styling, that I can actually fit someone in the back seat and that it has a decent-sized trunk.
so I've sat in the back of an A5, and at 6 ft and 175 lbs its VERY tight - how was the G37 rear seat? ahh n/m you have a vert - smaller back seat?
Old 05-18-16, 03:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
My 2013 IS250 awd is really nice looking (especially in the black color I chose), has some nice features, has contrasting white stitching on the black leather which is something nobody did on an entry-level luxury car. Also, while the steering is not even half as good as it is in my E90 BMW, it still has some nice weight to it unlike most cars. Reliability too.
The 2014 Is350 FSport feels a lot like e90. But you have to have it in Sport + mode. The 2IS was a little too soft vs the BMWs
Old 05-18-16, 05:38 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
The 2014 Is350 FSport feels a lot like e90. But you have to have it in Sport + mode. The 2IS was a little too soft vs the BMWs
I haven't driven the current IS350 but I think you are getting heavy steering mixed up w/ lively, telepathic steering. The E90 and pretty much every BMW preceding the current F-platform models had both heavy steering that transmitted every bump and groove in the road into your finger tips. It's difficult to describe and is something you've got to experience because it's a really magical feeling. I can't think of any cars in production today that offer that degree of tactile feedback because everybody has moved to electric systems from the classic rack-and-pinion and hydraulic setups. BMW also seems hell bent on purposely watering down the driving dynamics of their cars to appeal to the masses. I've even driven the most recent Cayman S and 911 and both had heavy, direct steering; BUT lacked the feedback I was looking for. The steering in the latest M cars feels the same as in those Porsches.

That's why I have no plans to get rid of my E90, it's a true classic (especially the way i've maintained it).
Old 05-18-16, 07:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I haven't driven the current IS350 but I think you are getting heavy steering mixed up w/ lively, telepathic steering. The E90 and pretty much every BMW preceding the current F-platform models had both heavy steering that transmitted every bump and groove in the road into your finger tips. It's difficult to describe and is something you've got to experience because it's a really magical feeling. I can't think of any cars in production today that offer that degree of tactile feedback because everybody has moved to electric systems from the classic rack-and-pinion and hydraulic setups. BMW also seems hell bent on purposely watering down the driving dynamics of their cars to appeal to the masses. I've even driven the most recent Cayman S and 911 and both had heavy, direct steering; BUT lacked the feedback I was looking for. The steering in the latest M cars feels the same as in those Porsches.

That's why I have no plans to get rid of my E90, it's a true classic (especially the way i've maintained it).
I've driven the E90 and it feels nice. Out of the current sports sedans, only the ATS and IS350 close to it. The F30 is certainly capable but all of the feeling has been completely muted out. The Q50 is even worse. I hear the new 2 series is as close to old BMWs as you can get though.
Old 05-18-16, 07:35 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so I've sat in the back of an A5, and at 6 ft and 175 lbs its VERY tight - how was the G37 rear seat? ahh n/m you have a vert - smaller back seat?
Yes, 6 ft would be very tight. In the G37 Vert it would mean laying across the back seat in some contorted position. We are all 5'4' to 5'8" in our family so the back seat of the S5 works for us. That is one day a week. If I had to haul people all the time I would never have a coupe. In fact, I'm probably trading the S5 for a Q5 in December to get 4 doors and more room. If it was just me I would never let my S5 go.