Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's my idea of real wood trim and what it should look like...the Volvo XC90. No dyes, no polish, no shiny or mirror-like surfaces.

Old 05-22-16, 08:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

That's not the interior of an XC90, that's an S90 sedan.
Old 05-22-16, 08:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's not the interior of an XC90, that's an S90 sedan.
Yeah...sorry, a typo.
Old 05-22-16, 09:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That matte finish woodgrain in the Volvos looks great. My 1992 SC300 has that similar "matte finish" walnut veneer, it looks great as well.

I think where people get mixed up on the "fake wood" thing in cars like the new GX is that the woodgrain is real, but its a very high gloss finish. People think back to their grandpa's Olds 98, Lincoln Mark VII or Cadillac Brougham that had similar high gloss, but fake wood. I've owned a couple of vintage Cadillacs, and can tell you that they had the best fake burl walnut money could buy. The stuff was pretty convincing, even though I knew it was fake. The stuff in the GX, yes its real, but it has that same sort of "fake wood" high gloss look about it as your 80's Cadillac.
Old 05-23-16, 03:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

i no longer care if automotive 'wood' trim is real wood or not, as fake wood has come a long way.

it's like in home decors now... 'wood flooring' is now often tile, and it's amazing (AND harder wearing).
Old 05-23-16, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I still feel that in a luxury vehicle, materials you touch should be genuine. If they make it look like wood...it should be wood. If they make it look like leather...it should be leather. If they make it look like metal...it should be metal.

If I go and buy a nice leather looking wallet from Coach, I expect it to be made of actual leather.
Old 05-23-16, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i no longer care if automotive 'wood' trim is real wood or not, as fake wood has come a long way.
I feel the same way about the Lexus NuLuxe (as do obviously the cows LOL)....Lexus seems to have really mastered the art of making fake leather. No other manufacturer makes as convincing a fake leather.....and some, from the Germans, are basically just old-fashioned vinyl.
Old 05-23-16, 04:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I feel the same way about the Lexus NuLuxe (as do obviously the cows LOL)....Lexus seems to have really mastered the art of making fake leather. No other manufacturer makes as convincing a fake leather.....and some, from the Germans, are basically just old-fashioned vinyl.
Toyota and Lexus have been using faux leather on parts of the seats for years. The entire seats are not full leather, its just recently that they have started putting faux leather on the seat cushion part in part of the Nuluxe line. The manufacturing process of the seat is a little different than leather seats, but full leather seats are not common.
Old 05-23-16, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota and Lexus have been using faux leather on parts of the seats for years. The entire seats are not full leather, its just recently that they have started putting faux leather on the seat cushion part in part of the Nuluxe line. The manufacturing process of the seat is a little different than leather seats, but full leather seats are not common.
Well, that was my point, Jill. The NuLuxe is so good that, IMO, one does not NEED real leather.

Take the CT200h, for instance. Despite the use of CT in your own avitar-name, you have stated that you actually didn't care for that vehicle. Overall, when I reviewed one, I didn't either (I found it unrefined, noisy, and hard-riding by Lexus standards)......but the NuLuxe was one of its few truly outstanding features. The then-new CT was the first I time I had ever seen the substance, and I was extremely impressed with it. Still am....as are the cows.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-23-16 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The NuLuxe is very nice. I still would never buy a luxury car with synthetic leather.
Old 05-23-16, 05:58 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 864 Likes on 599 Posts

If NuLuxe holds up better than leather I will take it. Still going to eat those cows though
Old 05-23-16, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tecman
If NuLuxe holds up better than leather I will take it. Still going to eat those cows though
Yeah a synthetic plastic steak doesn't sound very appealing lol
Old 05-23-16, 07:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that was my point, Jill. The NuLuxe is so good that, IMO, one does not NEED real leather.

Take the CT200h, for instance. Despite the use of CT in your own avitar-name, you have stated that you actually didn't care for that vehicle. Overall, when I reviewed one, I didn't either (I found it unrefined, noisy, and hard-riding by Lexus standards)......but the NuLuxe was one of its few truly outstanding features. The then-new CT was the first I time I had ever seen the substance, and I was extremely impressed with it. Still am....as are the cows.
Fair enough, I doubt many people would tell the difference if asked.
Old 05-23-16, 07:16 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
I'm probably being a bit harsh.

Usual Land Rover body hardware nonsense.. breaking door handles, rattles, etc. Surround camera issues, brake hydraulic issues (Master cylinder/booster went bad, ABS light from a bad speed sensor).

Few little electrical issues; window regulator, rattling speaker, etc.

It's the truck that won't go away. I got pissed off at it last year and tried selling it privately, only offers I got were less than wholesale so I sent it to the auction, it did blood money and I was happy

Until some idiot at the auction lost the title. By the time we realized this it was 11 days after the sale. By the time I had time to go and get a duplicate the car was returned. Screw it, I kept it.

The engine is the same 5.0L V8 in my beloved Jaguar XF and it's been perfect aside from a water pump leak. It has fuel economy similar to a Boeing as the LR4 has the aerodynamics of a brick and it weighs as much as a house.

If you can put up with their occasional annoyances Land Rovers are wonderful SUVs but they are not for people without a reasonable tolerance level for service costs and broken stuff.
Sounds about on par with my Range Rover, except I haven't had any mechanical issues.
Old 05-23-16, 09:39 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The NuLuxe is very nice. I still would never buy a luxury car with synthetic leather.
Unless you have kids. Milk, vomit, cookie crumbs, smeared bananas, all that easily wipes off Nuluxe. I'd hate to clean that gunk off perforated semi-aniline parchment leather

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2016 Lexus GX