Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend: 2016 Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz GLC, Lincoln MKX Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 09:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

As for the new RX, I honestly think its a rare swing and a miss by Lexus. No 3rd row seat, the interior design doesn't look as nearly as good as the interior on the IS, GS, and LS sedans IMO, and personally I think the exterior styling is ridiculous, the big spindle grill doesn't really work on the SUV's IMO like it does on the sedans and I hate that rear window/d pillar treatment.
I think I have to agree, the new RX is a rare miss by Lexus. I expected a better reception.
Old 05-25-16, 09:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think I have to agree, the new RX is a rare miss by Lexus. I expected a better reception.
I think lexus has a sales hit with the RX.

Why?

Remember when this generation of the CTS and GS were launched, how automotive journalists fawned over how impressive both vehicles are, and how the "Great Bavarian King has been dethroned"? Well after Y1, the sales of BMW were as usually high, while the GSes and CTSes were basically stagnant. Well in this case the King of this segment is the RX, and due its loyal customer base, the Lexus can do no wrong.

Plus with confirmation of a 7 seat RX in the near future, expect even greater sales and market adoption.
Old 05-25-16, 10:07 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Not sure which part of the interior is not cohesive

However, if they pitted the RX against the GLE, it would be an even more obvious win for MB. The only saving grace on the RX is the price.

Im really not sure who would pay over 60K for a lincoln...
Old 05-26-16, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think lexus has a sales hit with the RX.

In general, that's true. The RX has always been a hit. But, even so, there are some people today (though in the minority) that just can't get past the 4Gen styling, and costing Lexus some sales. Some of those people have posted in this forum.
Old 05-26-16, 09:01 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In general, that's true. The RX has always been a hit. But, even so, there are some people today (though in the minority) that just can't get past the 4Gen styling, and costing Lexus some sales. Some of those people have posted in this forum.
I'm one of those people. I'm not fond of the new front end of all the new lexus. It's a design that is hit and miss with consumers and will have to grow on you. In opinion if something has to grow on you, it not that great.

Lastly the ancient powertrain in the Lexus lineup is a major turnoff compared to competitors. Perhaps Lexus is trying to preserve reliability ratings, but they should be able to build reliable high hp turbo motors to compete with germans.

For me, ugly front end outdated powertrain = bye bye lexus
Old 05-26-16, 12:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

the rx is a fine vehicle, priced at more of a 'value luxury' point, trying to score points with younger buyers with 'LOOK AT ME' styling, but i think it's not really resonating with younger or older buyers overall, but continues to sell because it's cheaper than competitors and has a reputation second to none.

but the 'value luxury' means there's trade-offs that they've tried to overcome with 'styling'. it's not quite as quiet as more expensive luxury suvs. it's not quite as skilled at handling. it uses old components (engines, touch controller, enform).

so it's not for everyone, but it will continue to sell well as a trusted suv leader.

as for the competition:
lincoln's price seems high, especially when it doesn't have trust.
mercedes price IS high, but is has trust and brand.
audi's the upstart, but the q5 is more ancient than the rx.
cadillac's xt5 is very nice, but very new, and also priced high, but does have more trust than lincoln, given the srx success record.
porsche's cayenne and smaller macan are awesome, for a big price.
acura's rdx is similar, but cheaper, uses ancient components too, and is trusted as reliable and solid.
acura's mdx is bigger, pricey, uses old components, but is also trusted and solid.
acura's double-screen center stack has got to go...
infiniti qx60 is really nice, really old, and well, just there...

mid-size suv is about the hottest part of the market... and haven't even mentioned the non-luxury ones... hyundai, kia, nissan, ford, chevy, on and on...
Old 05-26-16, 12:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm currently shopping for a replacement for our Q5. Ordinarily the RX would be near the top of the list for consideration (we've never had one). But just on exterior looks alone the RX and NX aren't on the list. My wife is a non-car person and even she has strong feelings against the new styling direction for Lexus. I know we're not the buyer Lexus is looking for - And it worked.
Old 05-26-16, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm currently shopping for a replacement for our Q5. Ordinarily the RX would be near the top of the list for consideration (we've never had one). But just on exterior looks alone the RX and NX aren't on the list. My wife is a non-car person and even she has strong feelings against the new styling direction for Lexus. I know we're not the buyer Lexus is looking for - And it worked.
Well, you've got a number of credible choices. Give the Lincoln MKX a look....it has been out for almost a year now, though reliability may be a question mark.. And, of course, the Cadillac XT5 is just hitting American-market dealerships now. There's also the Infiniti Q60 (though you have to pout up with a CVT), Acura MDX (a well built mid-size SUV that has satisfied almost as many as the Lexus RX), There are also choices from BMW and Mercedes, but they will probably be rather pricey, and reliability may be suspect. Also, don't let the Kia nameplate fool you......top-level versions of the Sorento, which can run over 40K, are more impressive than a lot of people think. The last Sorento I sampled rode, drove, and had the refinement of a luxury-class vehicle.
Old 05-26-16, 07:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you've got a number of credible choices. Give the Lincoln MKX a look....it has been out for almost a year now, though reliability may be a question mark.. And, of course, the Cadillac XT5 is just hitting American-market dealerships now. There's also the Infiniti Q60 (though you have to pout up with a CVT), Acura MDX (a well built mid-size SUV that has satisfied almost as many as the Lexus RX), There are also choices from BMW and Mercedes, but they will probably be rather pricey, and reliability may be suspect. Also, don't let the Kia nameplate fool you......top-level versions of the Sorento, which can run over 40K, are more impressive than a lot of people think. The last Sorento I sampled rode, drove, and had the refinement of a luxury-class vehicle.
I've researched and driven most of the vehicles of interest. Right now the MB GLC and X3 are at the top of my list. They re the right size for us and have a lot of similarities. I haven't completely ruled out the MKX and XT5 but they are a bit larger than we need and I haven't warmed up to the idea of either brand. That could change though. The search goes on.
Old 05-27-16, 12:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

LexBob2, have you test driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Old 05-27-16, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LexBob2, have you test driven a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I haven't driven a GC, but have a friend/neighbor with one and it's really nice. Just a bit too big for our needs though.
Old 05-27-16, 03:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

As for the new RX, I honestly think its a rare swing and a miss by Lexus. No 3rd row seat, the interior design doesn't look as nearly as good as the interior on the IS, GS, and LS sedans IMO, and personally I think the exterior styling is ridiculous, the big spindle grill doesn't really work on the SUV's IMO like it does on the sedans and I hate that rear window/d pillar treatment.
Its a move to appeal to younger buyers to lower their average consumer age. I'd say it was a swing and hit, lots of younger buyers not typical housewives.
Old 05-27-16, 07:22 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know it is a brand new car, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Jaguar F-Pace in their consideration set. It is running a close second for me after the Q5. Audi generally has Jaguar beat in reliability, but the Q5 is an ancient design and the F-Pace is new, striking and has some great technology inside. The reviews on fun-to-drive factor have been positive, comparing it to the Macan.

It is also lower priced than most of its competitors that offer equivalent performance. No deals right now because it is so new, but I will certainly be test driving one toward the end of the year when my lease is up.
Old 05-27-16, 08:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
I know it is a brand new car, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Jaguar F-Pace in their consideration set. It is running a close second for me after the Q5. Audi generally has Jaguar beat in reliability, but the Q5 is an ancient design and the F-Pace is new, striking and has some great technology inside. The reviews on fun-to-drive factor have been positive, comparing it to the Macan.

It is also lower priced than most of its competitors that offer equivalent performance. No deals right now because it is so new, but I will certainly be test driving one toward the end of the year when my lease is up.
I looked at the F Pace. Very nice, and gets a little pricier than the completion when you add desirable options. I haven't taken a test drive yet, but probably will before too long. I agree, it's definitely a looker.
Old 05-27-16, 08:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I looked at the F Pace. Very nice, and gets a little pricier than the completion when you add desirable options. I haven't taken a test drive yet, but probably will before too long. I agree, it's definitely a looker.
Give us your opinions after you test drive it. I'm riding out my lease until December and don't want some salesman to convince me I need to trade early.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend: 2016 Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz GLC, Lincoln MKX Comparison