Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need advice: New leased car in accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 06:59 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice: New leased car in accident

I lease a 2016 Nissan for my daily driver. Back in feb. it was hit with only 1500 miles causing $10,000 worth of damage to the front passenger wheel area. The car hasnt driven right since and ive brought it back to the body shop twice. The owner double checked all his work taking everything apart and putting back together. Its intermittent so sometimes it drives great other times I hear random noises. Im looking to cover my *** for when I turn it in 3 years from now so im not responsible for anything. My question is do I get the dealer involved? Or will I be opening up a can of worms here? Ive lost faith in the body shop so forget taking it back to him. Im not to sure where to turn now.
Old 05-31-16, 07:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

if you have insurance then they should have handled it and getting the dealer involved won't make a difference as the insurance has probably already reported the damage to one or more of the car-fax type services.
Old 05-31-16, 07:04 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
if you have insurance then they should have handled it and getting the dealer involved won't make a difference as the insurance has probably already reported the damage to one or more of the car-fax type services.
The issue isnt the insurance. The issue is fixing the car properly so it drives and sounds like a new car. I dont want to turn the car in 3 years from now. Have them inspect it and say oh you owe $2000 for a busted axle or whatever. You follow me?
Old 05-31-16, 07:55 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hear where you're coming from but.........if the car wasn't fixed properly via your insurance or the responsible party's ins.co then I think you need to get them involved and tell them it wasn't fixed correctly/to your satisfaction. Might also depend on if this was an ins co's recommended repair shop or of your own choice.

you might also take it to a couple others repair shops for a diagnosis.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-31-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 08:14 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you go to the dealer that originally sold you the car and use that dealer's body shop? I was recently in an accident in a 1.5 year old car and made sure I used the bodyshop recommended by the dealer so if there were problems when my lease was up I could tell them it was their body shop that did the work.
Old 05-31-16, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

It first falls on your insurance. Then it falls on the repair shop. Between the two, it is their obligation to get it right for you. Usually the insurance company has a list of recommended body shops you can use. Hopefully the one you used was on their list. Either way, the insurance company might need to get involved with your body shop so the work is done right.
Old 05-31-16, 09:49 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer has nothing to do with the inspection of your leased vehicle, the bank you're leasing from will. If it isn't fixed to par then contact your insurance company again and again.
Old 05-31-16, 11:27 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by flektone
The issue isnt the insurance. The issue is fixing the car properly so it drives and sounds like a new car. I dont want to turn the car in 3 years from now. Have them inspect it and say oh you owe $2000 for a busted axle or whatever. You follow me?

yeah I got you, my point was telling the dealer now isn't going to affect the value either way, they either know now or they know later but chances are they will know either way.

I would do whatever is necessary to make sure it is fixed correctly, if getting the dealer involved is what it takes then so be it, just be sure the insurance knows and doesn't give you shet about taking it elsewhere.

Old 06-01-16, 05:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

It's simply not an issue for the lease. The dealer you bought it from has nothing to do with it. They sold the car to the leasing company, they're done. They will take the car back for you, but they don't always even get the car as a used car for their lot. No reason to involve the dealer at all.

This is an issue between you, the insurance company and the body shop.
Old 06-01-16, 06:03 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's simply not an issue for the lease. The dealer you bought it from has nothing to do with it. They sold the car to the leasing company, they're done. They will take the car back for you, but they don't always even get the car as a used car for their lot. No reason to involve the dealer at all.

This is an issue between you, the insurance company and the body shop.
I was just suggesting the dealer because they know the car in and out. Being its intermittent and no other visable damage the body shop doesnt see anything wrong. I suppose I can wait it out. If there still is an issue with the car it should eventually get worse and I can bring it back. I honestly dont care how it drives because its a lease. Like I said im just trying to protect myself so im not responsible for anything when I turn the car in.
Old 06-01-16, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

There's no reason not to take it to the dealer to see if they can solve the problem, you just don't need to do that to somehow notify them that there has been an accident was my point.
Old 06-14-16, 10:14 AM
Tires23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say contact your insurer and see if they can approve to send it to another shop to determine if there are any problems the shop is not telling you. Going to the dealer they might just tell you that the parts you might have used are not oem and it doesnt' work without it