Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-16, 06:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
This, from the same crowd that brought you "Speed Kills"

Sudden deceleration (Honda Pilot) is much more dangerous, IMHO.
Haha. Haven't heard that in years from the C&D crowd But a swing and a miss. I highly respect the German autobahns and that country's stiff driving requirements, because they prove that qualified well trained drivers held to a very high standard can handle cars at almost any speed shy of 250 km/hr.

Problem is, US/Canadian drivers are ill-equipped to be hooning around doing the NASCAR bit on two lane roads.

Here you have an issue triggered by whom? The brake-checking driver in front? Was he doing that randomly or systematically before the Subaru ever came up on him? Was he brake-checking other drivers in the same aggressive manner? Or did he do this only to the Subaru?

Was he trying to deliberately be a rolling roadblock? Other drivers would have reported him and traffic police would have quickly rolled up to take a look at him and see what he was up to.

The least worst choice the Subaru driver could have made was to pass on the right and probably (based on his driving attitude) given the Pilot driver the universal single finger salute. That may have ended it.

Instead the Subaru drove right up so he could figure out if there were any bumper scratches on the Pilots' back valance panel. The law usually asks what would a reasonable and prudent human being do in this situation.
Old 06-08-16, 06:37 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have two acts of aggression here.

One is passive (Subaru), Closure rate, Failed attempt to pass on right, second failed attempt to pass on right, Failure to maintain lane.

One is active (Honda), Malicious and willful impediment of traffic flow on two separate instances.
Old 06-08-16, 07:33 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have two acts of aggression here.

One is passive (Subaru), Closure rate, Failed attempt to pass on right, second failed attempt to pass on right, Failure to maintain lane.

One is active (Honda), Malicious and willful impediment of traffic flow on two separate instances.
Neither act was passive. Not sure why you seem to defend the tailgater so much. Both engaged in it knowingly, played a game of chicken, and one lost.
Old 06-08-16, 08:20 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

The act of depressing the brake pedal in a malicious fashion in disregard of safety (otherwise known as "brake checking") was completely unnecessary and only served to escalate this incident. The Subaru can be regarded to as an instigator in this case with the Honda serving as the primary aggressor.

I can see how some may want to defend the Honda driver as they see it as some twisted form of "road justice", There is simply no excuse for it and I'm sure some of you all's tune would change if the Honda's actions had caused a pile up with injuries and possibly death.
Old 06-08-16, 09:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=litesoarer;9514392]The act of depressing the brake pedal in a malicious fashion in disregard of safety (otherwise known as "brake checking") was completely unnecessary and only served to escalate this incident. [/qoute]
Correct. The incident was already created by the Subaru. Honda escalated it.

The Subaru can be regarded to as an instigator in this case with the Honda serving as the primary aggressor.
Subaru is both. The Honda participated in the game Subaru started.

I can see how some may want to defend the Honda driver as they see it as some twisted form of "road justice", There is simply no excuse for it and I'm sure some of you all's tune would change if the Honda's actions had caused a pile up with injuries and possibly death.
No need to defend the Honda, and No need for anyone to drive so close to any vehicles rear.
Old 06-09-16, 06:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

youtube poster says
The driver of the pilot is being charged with Careless or Reckless driving.
Old 06-09-16, 06:58 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
youtube poster says
Exactly what I would have wrote on.
Old 06-09-16, 09:09 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

youtube poster says
and what is the youtubeposter being charged with?
Old 06-09-16, 09:45 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
and what is the youtubeposter being charged with?
Probably failure to maintain lane, since the accident apparently didn't involve any other vehicles besides the Honda they'll likely be held liable for the collision regardless of what an addendum to the police report says..

State will tag their insurance for the guardrail repairs.
Old 06-09-16, 09:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

youtube poster says
Good, Pilot driver should also be charged with fleeing the scene of a accident that they caused. Lesson is don't tailgate and especially don't brake check and possibly block passing lanes/traffic in the aggressive manor the Pilot driver did.
Old 06-09-16, 06:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The act of depressing the brake pedal in a malicious fashion in disregard of safety (otherwise known as "brake checking") was completely unnecessary and only served to escalate this incident. The Subaru can be regarded to as an instigator in this case with the Honda serving as the primary aggressor.

I would agree that hitting the brake pedal for no known reason is pretty much a traffic offense that could be regarded as "stunting" or impeding traffic.

But drivers may suddenly hit their brakes for any number of reasons: wildlife popping up and jumping into the traffic lanes, debris from big trucks, ie. chains and tiedown straps, potholes, cracks and an impending issue several several car lengths ahead such as a collision or broken down car that stalls. Now you're riding some guy's bumper and he has to hit the brakes - what are you gonna do?

On the German autobahns, tailgating can get your license suspended for up to six months. The minimum following distance is half of your speed in meters. So 100 km/hr x 0.5 = 50 meters.

Basically even at a slow pace of 60 mph you have to be 150 feet behind whoever is ahead of you, no matter what the issue. At 120 mph you need to be a full football field behind.
Old 06-09-16, 06:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

youtube poster says
I am sure (s)he will go Scott free. There are (n) number of reasons why somebody can be hitting the brakes, none of which can be corroborated nor refuted.
Old 06-09-16, 06:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

The video proves there was no reason to stomp on the brakes and rapidly regain speed.

Give it a rest, already.
Old 06-09-16, 07:25 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The video proves there was no reason to stomp on the brakes and rapidly regain speed.

Give it a rest, already.

Mi lord, my girlfriend was giving me a hard time .... It was an involuntary leg reaction.

Mi lord, there was a bee in the car....

And many more such stupid reasons which can very well be real but no way to prove or disprove.
Old 06-09-16, 08:18 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Mi lord, make my day, punk *brake and gas pedal mash*

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....