Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 05:20 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Was the Subaru passing anybody?
What was the Subaru doing in the left lane?
I'm guessing you didn't watch the video.

first, I never said the Subaru was innocent he is at much at fault as the Pilot driver and I have said as much twice, but yes the Subaru was passing people and moving at a faster rate of speed than the Pilot and the other cars in the right lane.
the Pilot driver moved over to pass, he should have moved back when it was clear to the right and evident that the Subaru was moving faster than him.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE to any person with the ability to understand how a passing lane works.

Old 06-04-16, 05:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

first, I never said the Subaru was innocent he is at much at fault as the Pilot driver and I have said as much twice, but yes the Subaru was passing people and moving at a faster rate of speed than the Pilot and the other cars in the right lane.
the Pilot driver moved over to pass, he should have moved back when it was clear to the right and evident that the Subaru was moving faster than him.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE to any person with the ability to understand how a passing lane works.

Nice summary and completely on point.
Old 06-04-16, 06:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you watch how drivers behave when a cop car is around, they behave like Sunday School motorists. When the cop car is gone, they're Mario Andretti.

The video in the original post doesn't really show you the Subaru's speedometer and it doesn't seem to show any speed limit sign other than the "keep right" sign that is blink and you miss it.

It's obvious both drivers are acting out and it's obvious that they both escalated the situation beyond what it needed to be. But don't be surprised - driving has now become like everything else in modern life; a competition.

If you don't like the speed limit, don't try to enforce it by being a vigilante. If a tailgater wants to know the intimate details of your back bumper accelerate away and change lanes.

If you actually watch that first brake-check by the Pilot, he almost unsettles his vehicle because of how hard he brakes.

From personal experience in Western Canada. Some of the worst drivers I've seen. Tailgaters, idiots and assorted self righteous road warriors. Speed limits are a suggestion, and tailgating to bully someone out of any and all lanes, standard procedure.
Old 06-04-16, 07:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

would've thought he would get the message on the first brake check that the Pilot driver is a douche and stay away. Not worth pushing someones buttons at that point.
Old 06-04-16, 08:57 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Nice summary and completely on point.
Nobody seems to answer this:

Left lane is for passing but What was the Subaru driver trying to pass that the Pilot driver was not already passing?
Old 06-04-16, 09:03 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea the left lane was already passing right traffic, guess not fast enough for the subby. What did he mean by this statement in the desc?

Driver hogging the left lane that should be use to pass only brake checked me causing me to lose control of my car on the way to work. Car was a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon without TC/STM
no traction control?
Old 06-05-16, 07:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing with the whole discussion is that the Subaru and the Honda are involved in a mutual road rage incident. One of the parties has a video record of the incident. The other one, not likely.

So the police officer investigating this would only be looking at some sort of collision involving a single vehicle that lost control and allegedly, another vehicle that is no longer on the scene.

The only thing that cop is going to look at initially: is this driver fit to drive? Is the person under the influence of some sort of intoxicant or has a medical issue? Once all that is determined and the Subaru driver (maybe) shows the cop the video footage - then the cop follows up with the other driver.

But US and presumably, other western country laws are very clear about who has the duty of care or at least more responsibility:

"The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicle and the traffic upon, and the condition of, the roadway."

This is what an insurance adjuster will use and so will police and a traffic court judge.
Old 06-05-16, 09:07 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

Passing lane is for passing. Like I questioned before, and which you very nicely obfuscated in your explanation, is what was the Subaru doing in the left lane? At that point in time, there were no cars in the right lane.
Old 06-06-16, 06:15 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the Subaru was more of a douche (and maybe have a larger vehicle or similar sized), he could have accomplished this;

(Slightly NSFW profanity)
Old 06-06-16, 06:16 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, He could have done it with his 'Baru if he knew what he was doing lol
Old 06-06-16, 07:41 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Was the guy in the first video a mute? Never heard him say a peep. Lol. Not even after crashing. I usually swear to myself when there is someone holding up the left lane. Every state should have a required drivers etiquette course. All of these things can be eliminated if people had reapect for others around them and not just the donks riding in their own car. I personally wont drive over 80 mph because its wreckless here in VA. If I am locked in at 79 and I see someone coming up on me I move over long before there is ever an issue. I do expect the same courtesy from other drivers as well. The subie had an open lane to the right; be an adult and pass the other driver. The opportunity was there to pass safely . Could have all been avoided but when it boils down to it ; both were wrong. Video 2 : Two complete bone heads. What if the 300z hit that civic and killed them???? I swear ; people think theyre so tough when surrounded by some steal. Lol. If people walked like they drive , a lot of people would be getting their asses whooped. Lol.
Old 06-06-16, 08:13 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Was the guy in the first video a mute? Never heard him say a peep. Lol. Not even after crashing. I usually swear to myself when there is someone holding up the left lane. Every state should have a required drivers etiquette course. All of these things can be eliminated if people had reapect for others around them and not just the donks riding in their own car. I personally wont drive over 80 mph because its wreckless here in VA. If I am locked in at 79 and I see someone coming up on me I move over long before there is ever an issuye. I do expect the same courtesy from other drivers as well. The subie had an open lane to the right; be an adult and pass the other driver. The opportunity was there to pass safely . Could have all been avoided but when it boils down to it ; both were wrong. Video 2 : Two complete bone heads. What if the 300z hit that civic and killed them???? I swear ; people think theyre so tough when surrounded by some steal. Lol. If people walked like they drive , a lot of people would be getting their asses whooped. Lol.
People walk and use their shopping cart in the store like they drive. Without any common curtesy for others.
Old 06-06-16, 08:20 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I do "drift" around the grocery store with my daughter in the cart. Lol. But I do stop at the end of each aisle and make sure Im not gonna t-bone another shopper. Lol.
Old 06-06-16, 08:24 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I do "drift" around the grocery store with my daughter in the cart. Lol. But I do stop at the end of each aisle and make sure Im not gonna t-bone another shopper. Lol.
It's the ones who insist on putting their cart in the center of the isle so no one can pass. Then they turn and look at you , but don't move. Then they just avoid eye contact.
Old 06-06-16, 11:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Was the guy in the first video a mute? Never heard him say a peep. Lol. Not even after crashing. I usually swear to myself when there is someone holding up the left lane. Every state should have a required drivers etiquette course. All of these things can be eliminated if people had reapect for others around them and not just the donks riding in their own car. I personally wont drive over 80 mph because its wreckless here in VA. If I am locked in at 79 and I see someone coming up on me I move over long before there is ever an issue. I do expect the same courtesy from other drivers as well. The subie had an open lane to the right; be an adult and pass the other driver. The opportunity was there to pass safely . Could have all been avoided but when it boils down to it ; both were wrong. Video 2 : Two complete bone heads. What if the 300z hit that civic and killed them???? I swear ; people think theyre so tough when surrounded by some steal. Lol. If people walked like they drive , a lot of people would be getting their asses whooped. Lol.
Tailgating is dumb. It won't help the situation. If the left lane lounger won't move over, I will aggressively pass on the right. I find the idiots actually speed up when you do pass them on the right so now, I give no option. Downshift to 5k rpms and use all 306 hp to pass and move over. I get about 5-10 car lengths before I slow down as not to encourage them tailgating me

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....