Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Who was at fault
Subaru for tailgating
24.24%
Honda for brake checking
25.76%
Both of them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

don't tailgate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 11:35 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tailgating is dumb. It won't help the situation. If the left lane lounger won't move over, I will aggressively pass on the right. I find the idiots actually speed up when you do pass them on the right so now, I give no option. Downshift to 5k rpms and use all 306 hp to pass and move over. I get about 5-10 car lengths before I slow down as not to encourage them tailgating me
and this proves there are people that will actually try and control others' driving. The same pigs will close you out from getting into their lane in front of them by accelerating to close the gap. This behavior frustrates me because I cannot understand why.
Old 06-07-16, 05:59 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, why bother speeding up when someone else is trying to pass you if you were just strolling along at a set speed? Do these people just realize theyre about to be "behind" or something and their ego gets the best of them? What is more hilarious is when they literally do not have the horsepower to accelerate quick enough to close the gap and they end up behind you trying to pass you... Cat and mouse.

Ill just keep a straight face and mind my business lol
Old 06-07-16, 08:09 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Seriously, why bother speeding up when someone else is trying to pass you if you were just strolling along at a set speed? Do these people just realize theyre about to be "behind" or something and their ego gets the best of them? What is more hilarious is when they literally do not have the horsepower to accelerate quick enough to close the gap and they end up behind you trying to pass you... Cat and mouse.

Ill just keep a straight face and mind my business lol
This is why I pass aggressively and with intent if I pass on the right. They know not to try at the rate I am accelerating Avoids road rage behavior.
Old 06-07-16, 08:22 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Both at fault but I put slightly more blame on Subaru, I did find the radio conversation in his car somewhat disturbing and distracting lol.
Old 06-07-16, 10:22 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

normally I will just move out of the way as I don't deal with jack-holes. however there are times when someone will tailgate me and there is no place for me to go, I have found that weaving back and forth in the lane like a NASCAR driver warming up their tires is much more effective in getting them to back off than brake checking.

on most of my previous cars I had the driving or "fog" lights separately wired so they could remain on without the headlights, and if I got a tailgater at night, killing the lights on the car really freaks them out, especially on dark roads.
Old 06-07-16, 02:38 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Subaru was mainly at fault. He was the aggressor and should have had control of his vehicle. I don't agree with brake checking. Putting yourself in danger for no reason. The Honda was passing vehicles so their speed was faster than the right lane. There did seem to be an open space for the Honda to move over, however, we have all been in that position a million times in both the Subaru and the Honda. If the Subaru was under control, he should have simply passed on the right, if the argument is that there was space for the Honda to move into. The Honda was probably catching up to the next vehicle in the right lane.
Fault - 95-5 Subaru
Old 06-07-16, 03:27 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
The Subaru was mainly at fault. He was the aggressor and should have had control of his vehicle. I don't agree with brake checking. Putting yourself in danger for no reason. The Honda was passing vehicles so their speed was faster than the right lane. There did seem to be an open space for the Honda to move over, however, we have all been in that position a million times in both the Subaru and the Honda. If the Subaru was under control, he should have simply passed on the right, if the argument is that there was space for the Honda to move into. The Honda was probably catching up to the next vehicle in the right lane.
Fault - 95-5 Subaru
Pay attention to the video. The Subaru had obvious and clear intent to pass on the right which the Honda driver very aggressively disallowed. Honda driver is clearly at fault for reciprocating and continuing a pattern of bad driving on both sides. Reckless endangerment.
Old 06-07-16, 06:50 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Right lane was free and clear, why tailgate and get into an accident......

Subaru driver needs to leave his ego at home.
Old 06-07-16, 08:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Basically traffic laws will prevail. It doesn't matter if you tailgate a Prius or a Corvette. You are the driver behind another vehicle. You have choices. Some posters here seem to be thinking that there's a huge tank rolling up behind them and they have to tailgate the driver in front of them.

When exactly did motorists lose control of that other pedal to the left of the accelerator? You are a bully and you simply don't know traffic laws if you chose to go behind another motorist and try and "push" or "escalate" it, it's on you.

It doesn't matter if it's Hillary Clinton's chef in front of you or the ashes of Johnny Carson visiting Frank Sinatra's childhood home.

The majority of traffic court cases and civil litigation favor the driver in front. And if you get convicted for a "road rage" style incident, that's points on your license and on your insurance.

Is tailgating beneficial? Yes sometimes in densely crowded countries where there isn't a lot of space on the road. On US or Canadian roads? Nope. Even Australians talk about this.

http://www.driverknowledgetests.com/...is-tailgating/

And look at US litigation firms talking about it. They basically conclude that you are one of two people:

The slow guy in front or the azzhat behind creating a hazard. Get your jollies on the racetrack or NASCAR experience schools.
Attached Thumbnails don't tailgate....-tailgate.jpg   don't tailgate....-tailgate_2.jpg  
Old 06-07-16, 08:35 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

This, from the same crowd that brought you "Speed Kills"

Sudden deceleration (Honda Pilot) is much more dangerous, IMHO.
Old 06-08-16, 05:12 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Well fact remains, in the state of Michigan (this video is from Michigan)the law is on limited access highway the far left lane is only for overtaking. If you are no longer overtaking you are required by law to move back to the right. Both were in blatant disregard for the traffic laws. Then you can add on the brake Check which is against the law. Like was said it took two law breakers to create this situation.
Old 06-08-16, 07:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once again, what was the Subaru trying to pass? Empty space on the right lane?
Old 06-08-16, 11:08 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
Once again, what was the Subaru trying to pass? Empty space on the right lane?
The movements indicate they were going to attempt to pass the Honda, once the Subaru had enough room to shift over in front of the pickup in the right lane, the Honda disallowed the manouvre by aggressively brake checking.

I know what i'm talking about.
Old 06-08-16, 12:06 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets try again. Here are 5 slides. Please pay attention to the time noted on each slide.
there is over 20 seconds of tailgating with 10 seconds between the brake checks.

Old 06-08-16, 06:07 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

I stand by my analysis.

Anything else?

Quick Reply: don't tailgate....