Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

if Toyota sold this Camry to the public I would probably own one

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 04:06 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Could This Be the World's Most Expensive Toyota Camry?

Not only is this most likely the world's most expensive Toyota Camry, but it could easily be the most technologically advanced and fastest Camry of them all.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 06-01-16, 05:15 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, I can't deny that actually looks pretty cool. If they ever followed up the Solara into Gen3 this is probably what it would have looked like! (i.e. pretty awesome).
Old 06-02-16, 09:08 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default if Toyota sold this Camry to the public I would probably own one

https://www.yahoo.com/news/finally-b...152201559.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Camry-/222125524176?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33b7b684d0&item=222125524176&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Old 06-02-16, 10:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well...this one's for sale....have at it!

Old 06-02-16, 11:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like the race car Camry for the Australian V8 Supercars series.

I could think of better ways to spend $159,000 though. Knock that 1 off the price and I'd be signing a check.
Old 06-02-16, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I understand your personal enthusiasm for this version, but why would Toyota put something like this on the market when they already sell the better part of a half-million Camrys each year just in the U.S. alone? The present Camry is clearly the company's bread-and-butter.
Old 06-02-16, 01:47 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I understand your personal enthusiasm for this version, but why would Toyota put something like this on the market when they already sell the better part of a half-million Camrys each year just in the U.S. alone? The present Camry is clearly the company's bread-and-butter.
my point is a V8 RWD Toyota Coupe for around $50K. If Toyota made that under their moniker I would consider buying it, there are no "cars" under the Toyota name that I would buy as I do not like cookie cutter FWD vehicles. The Camry, Accord, Malibu, Optima, Elantra, Sonata, Fusion, etc are all basically the same boring cookie cutter FWD blah vehicles.

and FWIW I actually do have a Camry Hybrid in my driveway, it belongs to my wife.
I prefer RWD N/A V8 powered coupes. Hence the RC-F that sits next to the Camry.
So technically I guess Toyota does make one, but it is branded a Lexus and cost $80K
Old 06-03-16, 01:22 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

No hood scoops? Nah

That's a pretty empty engine bay though. I see the engine and trans, there's probably no AC compressor.
Old 06-03-16, 07:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
That's a pretty empty engine bay though. I see the engine and trans, there's probably no AC compressor.
no a/c? fail hahhaa
Old 06-03-16, 10:44 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
No hood scoops? Nah

Originally Posted by bagwell
no a/c? fail hahhaa

windows down at 200mph, no A/C needed.
Old 06-03-16, 01:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
no a/c? fail hahhaa
Auction description says it has power steering, a/c, full interior, power windows, locks, and a thumping aftermarket radio with touch screen DVD player. Still doubt you are going to hear the radio over the exhaust

I find the motor really interesting, it is a proper Toyota TRD Nascar engine, 358 cubic inch, cam in block, pushrod motor making "680hp at 8500rpm", like what they use in NASCAR. However, in 2010 when this thing was built, Sprint Cup cars still used carburetors and distributors. This car uses multi-port fuel injection and coil on plug ignition, those were mandated by NASCAR in 2012 for Sprint Cup cars and replaced the carburetors. So it was showing off future technology(lol) that NASCAR started using a couple years later.

I seriously doubt this car has the same spec cam in it as a Sprint Cup car, as it would make it VERY hard to drive on the street. If it does have a milder cam, it isn't going to rev as high or put out the same horsepower as a Sprint Cup car, but should be more driveable on the street.
Old 06-03-16, 04:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Auction description says it has power steering, a/c, full interior, power windows, locks, and a thumping aftermarket radio with touch screen DVD player. Still doubt you are going to hear the radio over the exhaust

I find the motor really interesting, it is a proper Toyota TRD Nascar engine, 358 cubic inch, cam in block, pushrod motor making "680hp at 8500rpm", like what they use in NASCAR. However, in 2010 when this thing was built, Sprint Cup cars still used carburetors and distributors. This car uses multi-port fuel injection and coil on plug ignition, those were mandated by NASCAR in 2012 for Sprint Cup cars and replaced the carburetors. So it was showing off future technology(lol) that NASCAR started using a couple years later.

I seriously doubt this car has the same spec cam in it as a Sprint Cup car, as it would make it VERY hard to drive on the street. If it does have a milder cam, it isn't going to rev as high or put out the same horsepower as a Sprint Cup car, but should be more driveable on the street.
Will it be latest emissions compliant?

Last edited by Sulu; 06-04-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 04:38 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
Will it be latest emissions compliant?
Hahaha no

I didn't think about the emissions thing though. If they have it titled as a 2010 Camry or 2010 Solara, then I couldn't get it registered where I live. All 1974 and newer cars and trucks have to be emissions tested annually where I live, but they aren't nearly as strict as California smog *****. Unless this thing has a cat converter on it, it wouldn't pass where I live.
Old 06-03-16, 06:31 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i would not. it's still a frickin camry and rides like one
Old 06-03-16, 11:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
i would not. it's still a frickin camry and rides like one
I'm just curious as to why you think this car would ride anything like a stock Camry, which btw rides pretty nice for your typical commuter/family sedan purpose IMO . . . . Its a custom fabricated RWD car with a completely non-stock suspension setup.

This car represents what NASCAR would be like if they didn't go to spec cars back in the 80's and still allowed the cars to be built off of a production car.

Quick Reply: if Toyota sold this Camry to the public I would probably own one