Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Audi A5/S5, why no thread?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 03:36 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the "tablet" look that the Germans have shifted toward recently. It looks sleeker in my opinion. In the past when nav systems were integrated into the dash, the dash had to be very high in order to be at a reasonable eye level.

In the Mercs it does look a bit "tacked on," but BMW and Audi do a good job (although Audi's screens are tiny).
Old 06-21-16, 12:20 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2017 Audi S5 First Drive

Let's start with the obvious elephant in the room: The new 2017 Audi S5 looks mostly like the model it replaces. Is that a bad thing? We headed to Portugal to test out the S5 on that country's serpentine back roads, and to see if there's something more substantive behind its evolved exterior.

Only compared to the decidedly more evocative Mercedes-AMG C43 Coupe does the svelte S5 come across as a little frumpy. It takes parking the new S5 next to the old one to spot the details. A tweaked profile. A more pronounced belt line. A power-dome hood. Narrower A-pillars. The new S5 is different, but the same, in that grand Audi tradition.

Underhood, the differences are again evolutionary. The original S5 featured a 4.2-liter, naturally aspirated V8. A few years back, that was replaced by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6, which in turn has been supplanted in the 2017 S5 by a turbocharged 3.0-liter V6. The turbo, a twin-scroll unit nestled between the cylinder banks, helps the direct-injection engine make a healthy 354 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. That power, 21 hp and 44 lb-ft more than its predecessor, is channelled through Quattro all-wheel drive.

The newly developed V6 mates exclusively to a conventional eight-speed automatic, which seems like a step backward. Last year's S5 offered either a six-speed manual or a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. We pressed Audi and got the answer we expected: Demand for the stick was nonexistent outside the United States (go America!) and the dual-clutch couldn't handle the 44 pound-foot increase in torque.

Curiously, the A5 on which the S5 is based trades last year's eight-speed autobox for a seven-speed dual-clutch. It sounds like someone at Audi put the wrong transmission in each car, but in reality the S5's torquey engine is well-suited to the refined eight-speed. Kick the throttle, get into boost, and all four drive wheels scrabble for traction, especially on the wet pavement we encountered outside of Porto, Portugal. Punch the S5 to pass on a tight two-lane road and the sport exhaust roars with the kind of guttural growl we want to hear in a sporty coupe. It positively scoots.

Though its Volkswagen MLB 2 platform is new, the S5 rides and handles like a more refined version of its predecessor. Considerably less road rumble penetrates the cabin, and the S5 strikes a pleasant balance between grand-touring plush and sports-car firm. That's probably because our test car was equipped with the optional three-mode adaptive suspension system; base cars ride on standard non-adjustable units.
Comfort mode softened things up for rutted terrain, while Dynamic mode was noticeably stiffer. We preferred the "Auto" setting, which straddles a pleasant middle ground. In any mode, body lean is kept in check, but pushing the S5 hard reminded us that more weight sits over the front wheels here than in a BMW 435i. You'll get some push if you really shove the coupe into a corner, but the Hankook tires developed specifically for the S5 have respectable grip. In US trim, the car's curb weight should come in about 100 pounds lower than last year's model, which weighed 3,858 pounds; the quoted 3,560-pound figure is for a European-spec car.

The S5's cabin, like the C-Class's, feels an entire class above BMW's two-door. Material choices are excellent throughout and, for such a complex car, the switchgear is logically arrayed. Few buttons are on the dashboard itself, and a big, 12.3-inch Virtual Dashboard takes the place of conventional gauges and works brilliantly. The highly configurable screen never washes out in harsh light and can be set to display virtual gauges with the tachometer front and center or a host of trip computer and navigation functions. A secondary screen propped on the center of the dash for Audi's MMI Plus infotainment looks like an iPad but is controlled by a big center-console **** with a touchpad on its surface. More efficient software makes MMI Plus breezier to navigate than before.

The cosseting doesn't end there, although we should note that adding all these luxuries will bump the price well above the estimated $55,000 base price. S5s will drive themselves for limited periods on the highway with an optional package, something we weren't able to test out since the drive was exclusively on narrow back roads that felt more like a rally stage at times than a rural highway.

That's the kind of terrain where the S5 should be driven: roads that bring to mind the hunting grounds of its sporty, Quattro-equipped predecessors. These roads were selected to flatter the S5, and they did, to the new coupe's credit. The Audi S5 carries on much of what we loved about its predecessor, staying the course conceptually but updated with a new platform, a bucks-up interior, and enough technology to intrigue even the most hardened technophile.
Source
Old 06-21-16, 02:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

horrible wheels on that S5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

much prefer these.....

Last edited by bagwell; 06-21-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 02:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I hope they have a blackout package available...IMO, chrome grill and trim looks just so dated now.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-21-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

What a fabulous car...
Old 06-21-16, 10:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

That grew on me immediately. Love the spiky and evil rims on the orange car and all the trim front, side, and back. The only thing still on the fence is the power dome hood, which will be a stretch getting used to. It clashes with the straight and sharp lines of the greenhouse and headlights/grille area. The hood should have been flat, like the previous model.
Overall, I think this car continues on with Audi's solo mantra of sleek, and conspicuous styling. Perfect for those who don't want to show off and make a statement of their wealth and success in life. Very wise in a jacked up show-off society. If my finances pointed in this direction in the near future, this car would be #1 on my list.
Old 06-21-16, 10:42 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

the whole front end looks cheap. There is something not very luxurious about it
Old 06-22-16, 07:05 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As reviews are coming out I am finding that I still like the exterior. It is certainly evolutionary but is still sharp and modern.

Overall though, like most Audis, the vehicle as a whole leaves me a bit cold. The 4-series and new C coupe have more emotional designs, the Bimmer is of course better to drive. Every Audi I've driven has been a bit boring to drive. Not to say they're mushy like say a Lexus ES, because they are reasonably competent. But there's no way you'd call it a "driver's car."
Old 06-22-16, 08:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Just FYI, in the segment as they see it, C&D ranks in order, 4 Series, A5, RC and Q60.

And MB SL Class, S5 and 6 Series.
Old 06-22-16, 10:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Just FYI, in the segment as they see it, C&D ranks in order, 4 Series, A5, RC and Q60.

And MB SL Class, S5 and 6 Series.
Seems about right.
Old 06-22-16, 01:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
the whole front end looks cheap. There is something not very luxurious about it
LOL, you want diamonds across the grill or what?
Old 06-22-16, 02:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I have a lot of respect for this car, but not very much passion/emotion.

Last edited by JDR76; 06-22-16 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 03:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What I'm curious about, is if you are looking at the TT and the A5 in the Audi showroom, why would you even consider the TT? They're the same price, but the TT is built on the Golf plaform with the engine sitting sideways in the engine bay. The A5 is on the "Audi" platform, same underpinnings as the more expensive A6, A7, and A8, engine sits north south in the engine bay.

If you compare the TTS to the S5, both are similarly priced. The TTS has a turbo 4 cylinder with 292hp, the S5 has that awesome supercharged V6 with 333hp. That's a real no brainer in my book. Plus the A5 has usuable rear seats unlike the TT and can be had with a manual gearbox still.
Old 06-22-16, 03:32 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The New A4/A5/S look more and more like Jetta's to me. Especially from the side/rear.

Old 06-22-16, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
If you compare the TTS to the S5, both are similarly priced. The TTS has a turbo 4 cylinder with 292hp, the S5 has that awesome supercharged V6 with 333hp. That's a real no brainer in my book. Plus the A5 has usuable rear seats unlike the TT and can be had with a manual gearbox still.
Not sure if you caught the above, but the S5 went from Supercharged 3.0 to Turbocharged 3.0 for this MY17

Quick Reply: new Audi A5/S5, why no thread?