Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you ready to part with your hobby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 07:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Are you ready to part with your hobby?

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-air-pollution

So how much longer before this happens here?
They readily adapted to the new religion I see, why not its right in line with their politics, kinda like here.
Sorry I just hate to lose something over a lie. And not to worry nothing will happen to a gallon or more per second jet plane and the tons of emissions from them.

Last edited by dicer; 06-08-16 at 05:09 PM. Reason: New link
Old 06-07-16, 07:55 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I get "Page Not Found" when I click on the link.
Old 06-07-16, 08:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ch...0E60AZ20140526

So how much longer before this happens here?
They readily adapted to the new religion I see, why not its right in line with their politics, kinda like here.
Sorry I just hate to lose something over a lie. And not to worry nothing will happen to a gallon or more per second jet plane and the tons of emissions from them.
I say that something like this won't happen here, because I do believe we are better than the Chinese, that our government is not a totalitarian regime that tries to regulate your every action and thought.

Then I think about how tough and expensive it can be for older cars to meet California's ridiculous rolling road dyno emissions tests. Older, non-collector type cars(ie less than $3,000 book value) that run great are worth scrap value if they won't meet emissions standards in that state. I'm sure we will have something like cash for clunkers again, where people junk great running cars/trucks for that government money and a new car.

Programs like cash for clunkers, the China buyback program, China banning older vehicles, the **** emissions laws in California put an undue burden on the working poor. All of the sudden a beat to hell 1986 Silverado that was worth $1000 is worth $3000, because a lot of people junked good running, cheap trucks under Cash for Clunkers, so there is way more demand than supply for cheap cars/trucks. I tried buying a cheap truck back in 2010 right after cash for clunkers, the market SUCKED.
Old 06-09-16, 06:42 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is actually a good thing by the Chinese as they're starting to recognise peoples' quality of life is important and it can't always be sacrificed for economic growth. I've got family who live out west of Shanghai and the pollution can be terrible - to the point of being unable to leave the house. Thousands of people each year succumb to breathing difficulties and it can be even worse at street level caused by old, smokey vehicles. The Chinese government knows something needs to be done and is trying to clean up industry and power generation, and motor vehicles have also been identified as a major part of the smog epidemic. They're not interested in limiting peoples' car ownership just switching them over to cleaner vehicles and investing heavily in electric ones too.
Old 06-09-16, 08:57 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is already starting in the Western world. On 01-July-2016, Paris will start banning cars built before 1997 from entering its city limits; all cars will be labelled on the windshield to identify the round of emissions regulations (e.g. Euro 6, Euro 5, etc.) they belong to, and there will be random checkpoints set up throughout the city where the labels will be checked.

Source: Autoblog

Paris is just the latest of a number of other major European cities to do something along these lines; London, Milan and Rome are other examples. If you have been to any of these cities recently, you will understand why -- the air is foul.

Other cities, of which Singapore is a prime example, make it difficult to own vehicles that are 10 years of age or older. I never understood the reason for this, but can understand if it was -- and is -- being done to clear the roads of older, dirtier vehicles.

We here in North America are better off, because the air in and around our major cities is better (even LA and NYC are probably better off than London or Rome). This is due to the stricter North American vehicle emissions regulations that have for years concentrated on such pollutants as NOx and particulate emissions (which has kept the population of diesel-powered cars down), rather than just CO2 emissions, which is what the Western Europeans have been concentrating on.

Perhaps because we are better off here in North America, we tend to encourage the use of less-polluting vehicles (including electric vehicles) rather than trying to ban vehicles altogether. But with new carbon pricing and cap-and-trade systems being implemented to combat climate change, we may start to see the stronger encouragement to get rid of older vehicles in favour of newer, cleaner vehicles (under some cash-for-clunkers program).
Old 06-09-16, 09:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
This is already starting in the Western world. On 01-July-2016, Paris will start banning cars built before 1997 from entering its city limits; all cars will be labelled on the windshield to identify the round of emissions regulations (e.g. Euro 6, Euro 5, etc.) they belong to, and there will be random checkpoints set up throughout the city where the labels will be checked.

Source: Autoblog

Paris is just the latest of a number of other major European cities to do something along these lines; London, Milan and Rome are other examples. If you have been to any of these cities recently, you will understand why -- the air is foul.

Other cities, of which Singapore is a prime example, make it difficult to own vehicles that are 10 years of age or older. I never understood the reason for this, but can understand if it was -- and is -- being done to clear the roads of older, dirtier vehicles.

We here in North America are better off, because the air in and around our major cities is better (even LA and NYC are probably better off than London or Rome). This is due to the stricter North American vehicle emissions regulations that have for years concentrated on such pollutants as NOx and particulate emissions (which has kept the population of diesel-powered cars down), rather than just CO2 emissions, which is what the Western Europeans have been concentrating on.

Perhaps because we are better off here in North America, we tend to encourage the use of less-polluting vehicles (including electric vehicles) rather than trying to ban vehicles altogether. But with new carbon pricing and cap-and-trade systems being implemented to combat climate change, we may start to see the stronger encouragement to get rid of older vehicles in favour of newer, cleaner vehicles (under some cash-for-clunkers program).
The sky high taxes on gasoline created the huge diesel car market in Europe and most of the pollution, now these same politicians who put forth the sky high taxes and created the problem want to punish(tax, fine, ban) the people for keeping older cars, driving in the cities, etc. It is the politicians fault and the people who keep putting them in office what has happened.

Pollution issues in China stem more from so many factories and loose pollution regulation/standards for those factories, from emissions to dumping waste in water. Banning certain cars won't solve the problem until the factories are better addressed.
Old 06-09-16, 11:15 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The sky high taxes on gasoline created the huge diesel car market in Europe and most of the pollution, now these same politicians who put forth the sky high taxes and created the problem want to punish(tax, fine, ban) the people for keeping older cars, driving in the cities, etc. It is the politicians fault and the people who keep putting them in office what has happened.

Europe regulated itself into a huge smog problem with diesel cars. I know they subsidized diesel with the original intention of helping out trucking firms, so delivered goods and shipping wouldn't be outrageous. Idiot politicians didn't figure out that every Nigel, Pierre, and Hans would go buy himself a diesel car to save 1000 Euros a year on fuel.

Last edited by Aron9000; 06-09-16 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 11:51 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

. But with new carbon pricing and cap-and-trade systems being implemented to combat climate change, we may start to see the stronger encouragement to get rid of older vehicles in favour of newer, cleaner vehicles (under some cash-for-clunkers program).
Yeah the good old religion of climate change the real vehicle that will change your life.
And why don't they call it what it really is. Climate manipulation. Manipulated so it can be shown that it is true. And will be used to enact all kinds of draconian laws and regulations.
Here is how climate change is done.
http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/
Old 06-09-16, 01:22 PM
xellos
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the good old religion of climate change the real vehicle that will change your life.
And why don't they call it what it really is. Climate manipulation. Manipulated so it can be shown that it is true. And will be used to enact all kinds of draconian laws and regulations.
Here is how climate change is done.
http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/
There are so many things to say this, but I think this emote suffices.
Old 06-10-16, 07:38 AM
jdudeski
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

Pollution issues in China stem more from so many factories and loose pollution regulation/standards for those factories, from emissions to dumping waste in water. Banning certain cars won't solve the problem until the factories are better addressed.
This is partially correct, however the problem is actually getting better in China (believe it or not). I work for a company that designs, manufactures, and imports goods from China. We have a dedicated Chinese office, fully staffed. Over the past two years, the number of items that require environmental offset fees has gone up dramatically, as well as the cost of those fees has risen. When we manufacture something, we have to pay these fees to help offset the cost of cleaning up the current situation there. While the problem is a Mt. Everest of problems, it seems that the Chinese are making serious attempts to curb the environmental dumping problem.

This is not true for countries like Vietnam currently. We have some operational capability in Vietnam and it's like China was 20 years ago. No problems manufacturing whatever you want and there are no fee structures like that to help offset the cleanup. I expect to see more Vietnam manufacturing operations getting in trouble for environmental problems in the future when the problem becomes more globally visible.
Old 06-10-16, 07:53 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-air-pollution And not to worry nothing will happen to a gallon or more per second jet plane and the tons of emissions from them.
The QM2 uses six tons of marine fuel per hour!