Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If your 2015-2016 Lexus Nav screen is dead click here

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 08:14 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default If your 2015-2016 Lexus Nav screen is dead click here

As a Lexus tech today around 2pm is when everything went to ****. All of the 2016 cars that came in today went crazy. Yes we all know Lexus has a nationwide issue but I am here to tell you how to fix it because its really easy.

The fix is a hard ecu reset. You take a 10mm wrench and disconnect the terminals and touch them together for 10 minutes. If you have a RC/IS/GS/LX you cannot touch the terminals as there is no space, just disconnect the negative terminal. If this does not fix the issue make an appointment at your local Lexus dealer.

Just figured id help out all of the DIYer's and peeps thats not close to the dealer. You could always just bring your car in, the fix is free of charge and we get paid to do it haha. If you guys have any other questions Id be happy to answer.
Old 06-07-16, 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

great info, thanks!

didn't pay attention to my car when i drove home, will see if it acts weird tmr
Old 06-07-16, 09:29 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

It was the chinese
Old 06-07-16, 10:02 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I called a few of my friends with 2016s and one of them said his car was still good so its probably not affecting all cars.
Old 06-07-16, 10:19 PM
mariann
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I have the black screen and I'm more than an hour from a Lexus dealer. I'm considering going to the local Toyota dealership and showing them this post.
Old 06-07-16, 10:32 PM
klk57
Driver School Candidate

Does this problem also cause the entire nav/music/phone system to malfunction? I have a 2015 RC 350 F Sport and all of a sudden this evening the entire infotainment system stopped working properly. I get a "Lexus" welcome screen, then a "drive safely" notification, and then a black/blank screen. None of the buttons (restart, menu, etc) work at all. Then all by itself, the screen goes back to the "Lexus" screen, then the safety notice, then blank. Then the cycle starts again ("Lexus" screen, safety notice, blank.) This repeats incessantly. No phone, No nav, and the "restart button" (holding down the radio power/volume button for 3 seconds) didn't work either. The cycling of the screen displays just starts all over again. Starting and stopping the car didn't work either. Any suggestions would be welcome. I just took the car to the dealer 3 days ago for its one-year service and they said all was fine. The infotainment system worked fine this morning.
Old 06-08-16, 04:39 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Verge Article w/ Video

An unknown number of Lexus automobiles have seen their infotainment and navigation head units broken by a bug in an over-the-air software update from Lexus.

The glitch, which was confirmed by a Lexus spokesperson, was delivered in a routine software update. In affected cars, it can cause the dashboard screen to spontaneously reset itself and, as a result, both the radio and navigation system can be unusable. It affects cars equipped with Lexus' Enform system with navigation.

Lexus social media channels have been flooded by frustrated owners, but the company has been unable to give any estimates for when the problem will be resolved. The company also couldn't say whether customers will see the problem fix itself with another software update or if they will need to head into dealers to get it fixed. Some users on Twitter have reported success with disconnecting their battery for a few moments to force a reset of the system.

Tesla has been the most prominent automaker to regularly issue over-the-air software updates, even offering the ability to pay to unlock new features. But, like with tablets and smartphones, seamless software updates can sometimes be a double-edged sword by breaking more than they fix.

Old 06-08-16, 09:52 AM
mariann
4th Gear

Thank you Justin2JZ. I disconnected the negative terminal and it worked!
Old 06-08-16, 11:02 AM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Yes, thank you, Justin2JZ!
Old 06-08-16, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by klk57
Does this problem also cause the entire nav/music/phone system to malfunction? I have a 2015 RC 350 F Sport and all of a sudden this evening the entire infotainment system stopped working properly. I get a "Lexus" welcome screen, then a "drive safely" notification, and then a black/blank screen. None of the buttons (restart, menu, etc) work at all. Then all by itself, the screen goes back to the "Lexus" screen, then the safety notice, then blank. Then the cycle starts again ("Lexus" screen, safety notice, blank.) This repeats incessantly. No phone, No nav, and the "restart button" (holding down the radio power/volume button for 3 seconds) didn't work either. The cycling of the screen displays just starts all over again. Starting and stopping the car didn't work either. Any suggestions would be welcome. I just took the car to the dealer 3 days ago for its one-year service and they said all was fine. The infotainment system worked fine this morning.
yes, obviously this is the issue, just disconnect negative terminal from battery (black one) and you should be fine after few minutes.
Old 06-08-16, 09:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

talked to someone and they also said it's on cars with enform, that's why a lot of recent new cars are affected coz' they have 1 year free enform. i don't have issues with my 2015 since enform expired
Old 06-09-16, 09:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
talked to someone and they also said it's on cars with enform, that's why a lot of recent new cars are affected coz' they have 1 year free enform. i don't have issues with my 2015 since enform expired
I can't really figure out why some are impacted and others are not. My '15 GS, with Enform Remote, has not had any issues. Perhaps I am just lucky.
Old 06-09-16, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JDR76
I can't really figure out why some are impacted and others are not. My '15 GS, with Enform Remote, has not had any issues. Perhaps I am just lucky.
you got me, i have no idea. so far i can only say from people i know, the affected ones have enform. now whether all with enform got affected? i don't know. at the same time most people i know are in cali
Old 06-10-16, 06:03 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The funniest thing about this issue is seeing the amount of compensation people are begging for becuase no music or nav disrupted their driving - really?!? lol

Our '15 FSport had the issue and in less than 24 hours there was a fix and protocol to correcting - many complain this issue being unacceptable, however I personally find it commendable that the turnaround was so quick, and that it was also a DIY fix anyone could do if a dealer wasn't local enough.

Since it was raining on my way home Wednesdyay from the office, I swung into the local JM dealer and they had a service line dedicated to this concern and was in/out in 5mins tops - and it was even more commendable that the director and other high level staff were there assisting and hands on in rebooting the system for owners.

Can't beat that IMO
Old 06-10-16, 09:27 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 649 Likes on 484 Posts

This will probably knock Lexus down a few notches on the upcoming quality surveys.