Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Steel vs. aluminum war heats up with new Chevy ads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-16, 10:08 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Aluminum doesn't even belong in aircraft. Another thing GM should advertise is how the paint peals easily off the aluminum panels. I saw that someone mentioned rust holes or tool box holes. Aluminum corrodes as well and in some cases faster than steel will, just get the wrong chemicals on it. Also aluminum fatigue's very easy, just look at some of the old all aluminum cabs of big trucks and all the nice cracks everywhere. If you want a good durable metal that won't rust do the DeLorean thing with stainless steel.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ucks/index.htm
Nice to get a new truck and then have to get parts of it painted. No thanks.
Aluminum doesn't belong in aircraft? Then, tell me, what does? Stainless steel is about 2.5x heavier than aluminum. And weight is a much bigger concern on aircraft than it is on road-going vehicles. If your car is heavy, you merely go slower but if your airplane is too heavy, you do not take off. What is the use of a road-going airplane?
Old 06-19-16, 06:37 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
Aluminum doesn't even belong in aircraft.

You think aircraft is a freight train with wings?
Old 06-19-16, 07:43 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I was wondering how a plastic molded bed like the Honda's(Tacoma uses the same type of bed) would do in that test, if it would crack. Nice to see it held up great.
I had a ford sport trac. They have the molded plastic bed. I threw tons of firewood, and rocks into it. It never had any more damage than scratches. It held up to many years of use without trouble.
Old 06-19-16, 11:28 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another reason why I can't stand General Motors. They are con artists through and through.

A couple years ago they made a Chevy commercial ridiculing the F150 or Ram (don't remember which one it was) for having a heated steering wheel. Their own Sierra had it as an option at the time! Now they are mad b/c their truck is behind the Ford in the aluminum game so they are ridiculing them for that. Meanwhile they plan on moving to aluminum in their next gen trucks.

Just a crooked company.
Old 06-19-16, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Just another reason why I can't stand General Motors. They are con artists through and through.

A couple years ago they made a Chevy commercial ridiculing the F150 or Ram (don't remember which one it was) for having a heated steering wheel. Their own Sierra had it as an option at the time! Now they are mad b/c their truck is behind the Ford in the aluminum game so they are ridiculing them for that. Meanwhile they plan on moving to aluminum in their next gen trucks.

Just a crooked company.
This is just car/truck marketing 101. A lot of manufacturers do these types of things now and then to grab some kind of advantage.
Old 06-19-16, 09:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride

Just a crooked company.
I don't see what's crooked about this particular test at all. The Ford aluminum bed failed big time when compared to the steel bed Chevy puts in their trucks. When you consider that a comparably equipped Chevy only weights 100-200lbs more than an aluminum Ford, it really makes you question why Ford even went to an aluminum body in the first place.
Old 06-20-16, 06:22 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder how many of these commercials never make it to air... because they failed to show the sponsor in a good light? Did this one make it only because the Ford's pickup bed punctured? What if it only dented more than the Chevy but did not puncture?
Old 06-20-16, 06:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I would like to see of the Tacoma or Tundra can pass this test. Something tells me the Tundra will have a whole but the Taco should pass.
Old 06-20-16, 07:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

a
Originally Posted by Sulu
I wonder how many of these commercials never make it to air... because they failed to show the sponsor in a good light? Did this one make it only because the Ford's pickup bed punctured? What if it only dented more than the Chevy but did not puncture?
Good point. It is an ad, so naturally it's going to show what Chevy wants. How they arrived at the results, who knows. I liked the Honda video. It just showed the merits of their truck.

Last edited by LexBob2; 06-20-16 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-20-16, 10:25 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd like to see this test performed by an independent party.

Nobody knows what GM could have done during their controlled experiment while the cameras aren't rolling.