Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Porsche Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 09:51 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Is it just me or is the completely new design not much of a revolution and more of an evolution?

Its got great specs, especially the E-Hybrid is very impressive but not very impressed aesthetically. Not something like the first Mercedes CLS to the 2nd gen.
Old 09-12-16, 10:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Has anyone found a comparison between the S63 AMG and the Panamera? For the first time, I think I actually want to buy a Porsche
No, but the result is a bit of a given. The S-class will be a better luxury car and the Panamera will be altogether more athletic.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I don't understand why this vehicle exists. There is one older model locally I see on occasion and I'm not impressed.
Profit, and some people want a Porsche sedan.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Well, Actually, the Panamera was the worst seller last year in the Porsche lineup. Along with that the S E-Hybrid was the worst seller in the world.
Doesn't matter, Porsche makes a handsome profit off each one. Panamera's aren't cheap.

Originally Posted by G Star
Is it just me or is the completely new design not much of a revolution and more of an evolution?

Its got great specs, especially the E-Hybrid is very impressive but not very impressed aesthetically. Not something like the first Mercedes CLS to the 2nd gen.
What Porsche model experiences a design revolution from one generation to the next? They're always evolutionary. And unlike the CLS, this generation looks better.

Last edited by TangoRed; 09-14-16 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 11:34 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
What Porsche model experiences a model experiences a design revolution from one generation to the next? They're always evolutionary. And unlike the CLS, this generation looks better.
Cayenne, huge design improvement from the first generation. Revolutionary and not evolutionary.

And nah...

The difference and improve between MB 1st gen CLS and CLS is massive and way more margin of improvement and revolutionary styling over the 1st and 2nd Panamera.
Old 09-12-16, 11:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I would say that Mercedes screwed up the 2nd gen CLS big time. The 1st gen is such a pretty and striking car IMO, all curves, very minimalist sort of shape. Except maybe for some tacky CLS500 trunk badging, there isn't a single bad line on that car. I'd consider it a modern classic, a design icon of the early 21st century.

The 2nd gen, its like they took the 1st gen shape and put a bunch of creases and straight lines and boxy elements in there. They tried to make it look boy racer and man it just sucks in comparison to the masterpiece that is the 1st gen car. I'm not saying its an ugly car, but it just seems like its trying way too hard compared to the 1st gen car.
Old 09-13-16, 05:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I also agree that they lost much of the uniqueness about the CLS when they went to the second gen.

I also don't see anything revolutionary in terms of styling between generations of the Cayenne...
Old 09-13-16, 08:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Cayenne, huge design improvement from the first generation. Revolutionary and not evolutionary.
It's still evolutionary. The Cayenne still has the exact same shape, general DLO design, and theme. Does it look better? Sure. When a styling revolution occurs, it looks like the W140 S-class > W220 S-class, or the entire Bangle era of BMW's. I think you're misapplying the term revolutionary in this discussion.

And nah...

The difference and improve between MB 1st gen CLS and CLS is massive and way more margin of improvement and revolutionary styling over the 1st and 2nd Panamera.
You are one of the very few people who would say that. The 2nd generation CLS is far more athletic and a better luxury car, but looks wise it didn't receive nearly as much customer appreciation or critic appreciation. Mercedes itself has internally acknowledged this.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I also agree that they lost much of the uniqueness about the CLS when they went to the second gen.

I also don't see anything revolutionary in terms of styling between generations of the Cayenne...
I think he believes just because something looks better in his eyes its called revolutionary.
Old 09-13-16, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It
I think he believes just because something looks better in his eyes its called revolutionary.
Seems that way...I agree with all of your points above.

In order for something to be "revolutionary" it has to fundamentally change the industry, or a segment. The original CLS created the 4 door luxury coupe...and now look we have that from many other manufacturers. The A7 was revolutionary in that it created the luxury hatch sedan variant. The original Lexus RX was revolutionary in that it created the luxury crossover. The original Cayenne was revolutionary because it created the first performance luxury SUV. The original Explorer created the family SUV craze.

And before anybody responds no something doesn't have to be the "first" to be revolutionary. They have to be the ones who mainstreamed the concept.

Replacing that original revolutionary vehicle with one that is better in every way but doesn't change the segment isn't "revolutionary", its "evolutionary".

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-13-16 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 04:05 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice design inside and out. The interior is missing some of the finer details you'll find in other modern luxury flagships (like aluminum buttons and the like) but Porsche figured their clientele for the Panamera care more about the driving experience than luxury so I can't blame them.

Seems super expensive though based on what I've seen from their website. But Porsche price gouges with every model and they continue to do so for obvious reasons.
Old 09-13-16, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

kind of like 996 going to 997 going to 991

You are one of the very few people who would say that. The 2nd generation CLS is far more athletic and a better luxury car, but looks wise it didn't receive nearly as much customer appreciation or critic appreciation. Mercedes itself has internally acknowledged this.
agreed. the first cls was striking, fresh and nice. the second gen is a refined version imho, a lot of good improvements and a better car overall. but the look doesn't strike as much
Old 09-14-16, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'll agree with that.

Its got great specs, especially the E-Hybrid is very impressive but not very impressed aesthetically.
That gets back to what I said earlier, though, about who buys a Porsche for efficiency?
Old 09-14-16, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

anyone looking for 'revolution' in porsche styling doesn't know much about porsche. yes, they evolve year after year after year after...
Old 09-15-16, 11:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
anyone looking for 'revolution' in porsche styling doesn't know much about porsche. yes, they evolve year after year after year after...
2017 Porsche Panamera-hit-the-nail-on-the-head-610x426.jpg

Pretty much the ONLY time Porsche innovates on styling is when they introduce a new model. Think 924, 928, and Boxter for their sports cars.
Old 09-16-16, 01:59 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

It's still evolutionary. The Cayenne still has the exact same shape, general DLO design, and theme. Does it look better? Sure. When a styling revolution occurs, it looks like the W140 S-class > W220 S-class, or the entire Bangle era of BMW's. I think you're misapplying the term revolutionary in this discussion.

You have your beliefs and I have mine, nothing wrong with that. Don't take it too personally.

I "believe" my point is being evidenced with some of the posts I'm reading on this page.

The difference between the first Cayenne and the second is a far cry from the first Panamera and the second. The difference between the first CLS and the second is a far cry from the first Panamera and the second. And it is evidenced in some posts on this page saying how much the CLS changed in it's second generation. Just because you guys don't like it, doesn't mean it wasn't a revolutionary change. If it was merely evolutionary, you guys would've liked it since you liked the first gen so much.

Obviously a first of any model line would be considered revolutionary (as it is the first, of course!) and any iteration after would be hard to categorize as revolutionary, especially given the design aesthetics of today.

Back to my original point, the second Panamera, for something that is supposed to be a complete re-design really didn't change much at all, aesthetically.

Old 09-16-16, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

People's "beliefs" don't extend to definitions of words or concepts. I can believe that a tiger is some sort of dog, but that "belief" doesn't have to be respected alongside the facts. "Revolutionary" is an actual word with an actual definition lol
Old 09-19-16, 04:10 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, but the result is a bit of a given. The S-class will be a better luxury car and the Panamera will be altogether more athletic.
Just curious as to why you say that? What are you talking about, driver safety features or something else. These days you can nearly get everything a S-Class has in the C-Class, so I really don't see how the Panamera will be far less luxurious?

Quick Reply: 2017 Porsche Panamera