Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where is Toyota's 5 seat premium crossover???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 04:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Where is Toyota's 5 seat premium crossover???

With the way crossovers are selling, I see a glaring hole in Toyota's (and other automakers) lineup.

Should Toyota sell a slightly larger than Rav4 but smaller than Highlander 5 seat crossover? Nissan sells the Murano, Ford Edge, the new Chinese Buick Envision(shuddders), Jeep Grand Cherokee. I know the Venza was Toyota's answer, but that's gone and never sold that well anyways(looked too much like a Camry wagon IMO)

Sell a 5 seat SUV with the Toyota name in that 30-45k price range. V6 powered, 5 seats, bigger than a Rav4, unique styling, maybe slightly sporty, luxury interior, make it drive way nicer than a Rav4 with more horsepower.

IMO the Lexus NX is too small, the Highlander is kind of frumpy, the RX is too much $$$$. There should be a new 4Runner out soon, as the current one is dated, way overpriced and not very luxurious IMO.

Anyways, do you think there is room for another SUV in Toyota's lineup??? I think with the way these things sell you can't go wrong.
Old 06-30-16, 04:48 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Sell a 5 seat SUV with the Toyota name in that 30-45k price range. V6 powered, 5 seats, bigger than a Rav4, unique styling, maybe slightly sporty, luxury interior, make it drive way nicer than a Rav4 with more horsepower.
With these parameters, you just named the Highlander or 4Runner.

Now, if you're talking premium, you better change the price range to $45k-60k. You can't go gourmet with Taco Bell pricing.
Old 06-30-16, 05:09 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Highlander still fits this bill, even though it has a 3rd row, it's one of the smallest 3 row midsize utility vehicles on the market.

Highlander demand is super high as it is, factory can't crank enough of them out. So they obviously don't feel the need to offer another variant in that same pricing category that would potentially cannibalize sales.

The "premium versions of the Grand Cherokee reach over $50,000 in price, which is where the RX plays. So between the two brands I don't think Toyota needs another one unless they can make the 4Runner more modernized yet still ruggedly focused like a Grand Cherokee.
Old 06-30-16, 05:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I feel that they could do something with a bit more radical styling and sportier than the Highlander and charge around the same price. Nissan sells both the Murano and Pathfinder, Ford the Edge and Explorer, Buick the Envision and Enclave.

The Highlander is nice, but IMO its rather staid and boring. With the way sales of SUV's are going now days, I think there is enough room in the market for another entry in that $30-50k price range. It just needs to be unique and sporty to get different customers. Because I do agree if its a 5 seat boring mobile that isn't very different from the Highlander Toyota will end up competing more with itself.