Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Honda Accord selling like mad

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If and when actual consumers stop buying cars with the swoopy roof lines, then the various brands will quit offering them. Until then, it's really a moot point since sales drive the business and the manufacturers respond to consumer preferences and styling trends.
Well, sedan sales are already suffering from the increased popularity of SUVs. In fact, some sedans are being dropped entirely to make plant-space for ever-more SUV production. Obviously, that won't happen with a sedan as wildly popular as the Accord, but the SUV stampede just keeps picking up steam.

Of course, when gas prices start rising again, some manufacturers may be caught with their pants down if SUV sales stagnate.
Old 07-14-16, 06:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If and when actual consumers stop buying cars with the swoopy roof lines, then the various brands will quit offering them. Until then, it's really a moot point since sales drive the business and the manufacturers respond to consumer preferences and styling trends.
I don't think it is that simple. I believe that the common autobuyer buys what is available more than seriously thinking about what they need. If there are so many 4-door coupes available, it is because it has become the current fashion item and the common autobuyer becomes caught up in that. People will stop buying 4-door coupes when some automaker (that they prefer) is courageous enough to break fashion and offer a straighter rear roof line.

Not all current mid-size sedans have a swoopy rear roof line. Neither the current Accord nor the current (facelifted) Camry have a swoopy rear roof. So there are choices. But can you see people NOT buying a Ford (swoopy Fusion) or a Hyundai (swoopy Sonata) or a Chevrolet (swoopy Malibu) because they don't like the 4-door coupe styling? Some people would not be caught dead driving a Honda or a Toyota.
Old 07-14-16, 06:50 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, sedan sales are already suffering from the increased popularity of SUVs. In fact, some sedans are being dropped entirely to make plant-space for ever-more SUV production. Obviously, that won't happen with a sedan as wildly popular as the Accord, but the SUV stampede just keeps picking up steam.

Of course, when gas prices start rising again, some manufacturers may be caught with their pants down if SUV sales stagnate.
Yes, if you don't need an SUV it is a great time to negotiate on a sedan or coupe.
Old 07-15-16, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
"Tall" then, must be a relative term LOL.
I'm 6' tall. Statistically in the US, I'm taller than 86% of adult men. I have a pretty short inseam for a 6' tall man too, which means I have a longer torso which would make getting in and out of a low rooflined sedan harder.

I also would question how big an issue access to the rear seat for adults is for most buyers. How often do adults ride in the back seat of your car? For me its a pretty rare occasion, and I occasionally drive people around as a part of my job.
Old 07-15-16, 01:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, if you don't need an SUV it is a great time to negotiate on a sedan or coupe.
Good point. We recently bought a 2016 Audi A6 and the dealerships were eager to move them.
Old 07-15-16, 08:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
too bad i have zero interest in owning a sedan.