Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Finally, a young reckless driver who accepts some responsibility for his actions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 10:20 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one of the BMW douches but god I've never endangered the lives of others. There is a place and time for enjoying yourself safely. I'm a strong proponent that parents, no matter how much money they have, should buy nothing more than V4 Camrys for their kids. My first car was exactly that, a 15 year old model too. Taught me the value of money, hard work, and kept me out of trouble.

Last edited by BrownPride; 07-14-16 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Individual
That's horrible and sad that this girl lost both of her parents, and only sibling, due to this idiot driving recklessly. I just can't fathom driving that fast in a residential neighborhood. I am weary enough as it is driving at the speed limit in my neighborhood knowing that there could possibly be a child, animal, or car that could pop out in my way at any moment.
It's not really a residential street. It has lights, but no homes on it, it's more of a "parkway". But, there are many cross streets with and without lights.

Still though. The speed limit is 45. 115 is insane.
Old 07-14-16, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You get that from a typed article with a quote from him? I don't see how you can judge someone's level of remorse and emotional state from one quote in a newspaper article.

I hope the judge isn't so easily swayed. He's a multiple offender and now people are dead. He belongs in jail, and he should never be allowed to operate a motor vehicle again IMHO.
Well, like I said earlier, that just might happen. He's already used most, if not all, of his Get-Out-of-Jail-Free cards. I think the judge, in fact, is going to lock him up....the question being for how long.
Old 07-14-16, 02:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This kid needs a team of lawyers and FAST. And he needs to shut his big mouth.

Just take his license away permanently and a long probation so TAXPAYERS don't have to spend money on him. I'm sick of spending money on criminals.

Last edited by litesoarer; 07-14-16 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 07:54 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

i'm scared to comment because i know SW15 is lurking and will likely compare me to this kid or say that i'm even worse...
Old 07-14-16, 07:56 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm one of the BMW douches but god I've never endangered the lives of others. There is a place and time for enjoying yourself safely. I'm a strong proponent that parents, no matter how much money they have, should buy nothing more than V4 Camrys for their kids. My first car was exactly that, a 15 year old model too. Taught me the value of money, hard work, and kept me out of trouble.
If only V4 camry's existed.

Or H4 camry's.
Old 07-14-16, 08:04 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
If only V4 camry's existed.

Or H4 camry's.
very few people realize that their "V4" is actually an I4 but i think with just about every other engine being a V it's just easier to keep up the V thing lol
Old 07-14-16, 09:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Terrible tragedy, and that driver deserves everything that is coming to him. But on the other hand, a portion of the blame is on the other driver too. Why did he pull out to do a left turn right in front of a speeding car?
Old 07-14-16, 11:59 PM
AWilson013
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Terrible tragedy, and that driver deserves everything that is coming to him. But on the other hand, a portion of the blame is on the other driver too. Why did he pull out to do a left turn right in front of a speeding car?
At 115mph he was covering a football field about every 1.7 seconds. Driver looks left, sees nothing. Looks right *one, two, three* sees nothing, transitions foot from brake to gas *four* and goes. In that 4 seconds the BMW would have gone nearly 675 feet.

I likely would have pulled out too if I knew the speed limit was 45mph and I only saw one car ~675ft down the road when I checked my left side. Of course, this is why you always double check, but everyone makes mistakes. Especially when you're running late.

Who knows, maybe there was a bend or dip in the road and the driver never even saw the BMW.

When I was 18 I did a very, very similar thing. Running late to work going 90mph in a 35mph zone (very, very rural area). Came around a blind corner and as I exited the corner saw a Lexus RX350 stopped, blocking both lanes, as they were backing into their driveway. I downshifted from 5th to 3rd, locked up the brakes, and slid about 100 yards into the passenger side of that thing going about 70mph. On impact the RX did a 180 and landed in the ditch about 10 yards away. My little Audi was absolutely demolished on impact. After I realized what happened I wiped the blood off of my face (air bag did not deploy, smacked my forehead on the steering wheel), forced the door open (it was jammed) and ran over to the older woman with my adrenaline blocking the pain from my shattered foot. I apologized about 100 times, she told me she was fine and was more worried about her dog that was in the car (was also fine) and me.

I was very dumb and VERY lucky that day. My foot was broken pretty bad, but other than that I just got a couple butterfly stitches on my forehead. She was fine, but later went to the hospital with a stiff neck.

Somehow the insurance folks decided we were BOTH at fault for the accident (likely because she was stopped blocking both lanes). Showed up on my driving record as a 50/50 type deal.

I now use my cruise control whenever I am going fast enough for it to work. I'll go over the speed limit if I am passing someone, but otherwise my cruise control is locked on the speed limit.

Last edited by AWilson013; 07-15-16 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 03:13 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitabel
Child of privilege.
Not his first mistake.
Not his first arrest.
Not his first accident.
"No remorse" is before your lawyer gets there.
"Remorse" is what your lawyer makes you memorize.

If that were my family, I'd kill him.
But that's just me.

I'm sure he'll never do anything bad again. But then, what would those judges have done if someone whispered in their ear "next time, he's going to kill 3 people"?

Google "Gareth Martinez" for what happens in real life.
Fine but make it quick (Speedy trial and execution)

I don't want my tax dollar wasted on ungrateful peanut heads.

Last edited by litesoarer; 07-15-16 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 03:32 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I will admit to doing some absolutely ludicrous speeds on public roads, flat out 150mph in my old Camaro on a deserted stretch of interstate before I lifted. Riding shotgun in a buddy's worked over 900rwhp Supra I saw the speedo wrap past the last marking at 180mph. That was insanity, I've never felt a car that pulled that hard at 100+mph. 60 to 180mph was literally like 10 seconds, that car would probably outrun a Bugatti Veyron from an interstate roll speed.

That being said, it was always on a divided, straight section of interstate late at night with no traffic. On a surface street, I have never done anything so damn stupid, you never know when some timid idiot in a Chevy Volt who doesn't know how to drive will pull out in front of you at 10-15mph and make you slam on the brakes.

Last edited by Aron9000; 07-15-16 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 04:22 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I will admit to doing some absolutely ludicrous speeds on public roads, flat out 150mph in my old Camaro on a deserted stretch of interstate before I lifted. Riding shotgun in a buddy's worked over 900rwhp Supra I saw the speedo wrap past the last marking at 180mph. That was insanity, I've never felt a car that pulled that hard at 100+mph. 60 to 180mph was literally like 10 seconds, that car would probably outrun a Bugatti Veyron from an interstate roll speed.

That being said, it was always on a divided, straight section of interstate late at night with no traffic. On a surface street, I have never done anything so damn stupid, you never know when some timid idiot in a Chevy Volt who doesn't know how to drive will pull out in front of you at 10-15mph and make you slam on the brakes.
A fast car is only as good as it can slow down.
Old 07-15-16, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
A fast car is only as good as it can slow down.
Even eight-piston Brembos on all four wheels can only do so much.
Old 07-15-16, 05:50 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even eight-piston Brembos on all four wheels can only do so much.
Precisely.
Old 07-15-16, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm scared to comment because i know SW15 is lurking and will likely compare me to this kid or say that i'm even worse...
But then you commented

This is an example of what can happen.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
some timid idiot in a Chevy Volt who doesn't know how to drive will pull out in front of you at 10-15mph and make you slam on the brakes.
I'm not saying this was your intention...but to imply that the driver that was killed in this accident was some "timid idiot in a Chevy Volt who doesn't know how to drive" is pretty monstrous. The guy was making a left turn taking his family to a school concert. Excuse him for not expecting some insane reckless driver to be driving down the road at three times the posted speed limit. Remember, the guy was going 115 in a 45.. Not 55...or 65...or 75. 115.

Remember that I know this family...these are real people that died here. I've personally made this left turn hundreds of times, as have I driven down the stretch of road the kid in the BMW was driving down hundreds of times. This was in no way shape or form caused by the driver of the Volt. At the speed the BMW was traveling, when the Volt driver committed to the left turn the BMW may have even still been below the crest of the hill, meaning the Volt driver never would have even seen him.

I'm going to be in that area tomorrow. I may pull into that left turn lane and take a picture out the windshield of my car looking up the oncoming side of the road to see if it shows something of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-15-16 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally, a young reckless driver who accepts some responsibility for his actions