Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat Chrysler ending car production in U.S

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well then why are you in an LS and not a 7-Series or S Class?
I'm sure SW15LS can answer for himself on this one, but, in the meantime, I'll point out that it may be a case of apples and oranges. Just because he prefers the JGC over the Lexus RX in the mid-size SUV class does not necessarily mean that the LS also loses out to its competitors. If I were buying a full-size V8 RWD or AWD luxury sedan, I'd probably choose the LS myself. The Mercedes S-Class does have superb road manners and advanced safety gear, but also a whopping price tag.....sharply higher than the LS. Ditto for the BMW 7-series, but to a lesser extent. The LS has them both beat for reliability. And, of course, the closest thing that Chrysler (Jeep's owner) has to the LS is the Chrysler 300C, which is certainly a nice car, but not in the same class as the LS when it comes to road manners and refinement.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-16 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 06:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Makes sense just to build Trucks, SUVs and CUvs here. Anyone know where is the Pacifica going to be built?
The Pacifica minivan continues to be built at the Chrysler minivan plant in Windsor, Ontario, where minivans have been built since the first Iacocca minivan rolled off the line in 1983. Only minivans have been built at Windsor Assembly since then.

And some 200miles up the highway in Brampton, Ontario, FCA builds the full-size Chrysler 300, and Dodge Charger and Challenger. This plant was inherited from AMC in 1987.
Old 07-28-16, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Certainly no arguments on the design excellence of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but, to an extent, at least as far as road manners go, the new RX has caught up. Unlike the JGC, though, the new RX's polarizing styling (particularly the spindle grille and floating roofline) are turning some potential customers off.
I have had two different 4RX loaners, put nearly 200 miles on one a couple weeks ago. It's nicer, but still nowhere near as solid riding or feeling, or as nice inside as a top trim Jeep Grand Cherokee. My business partner has a brand new one so I was able to drive them back to back and not rely on my memory. No contest, I wouldn't even consider an RX over an Overland or Summit JGC.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Well then why are you in an LS and not a 7-Series or S Class?
Because they cost significantly more than the LS. If I were spending $90k+ I would certainly choose the 7 Series over the LS (the new 7, the new one wasn't out when I got my LS and I did not care for the old one) if I were spending $100k+ I would unquestionably choose the S Class.

My LS was 79k discounted to $69k. Nowhere near 7 or S Class money. Lease payments $300 more for the 7, $400 for the S Class. That's 30% and 40% more.

Look, I'm clearly a Lexus fan...I've had 6...but I call it like I see it. They have a ways to go if they want to start leading in segments again.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-28-16 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-28-16, 08:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Pacifica minivan continues to be built at the Chrysler minivan plant in Windsor, Ontario, where minivans have been built since the first Iacocca minivan rolled off the line in 1983. Only minivans have been built at Windsor Assembly since then.

And some 200miles up the highway in Brampton, Ontario, FCA builds the full-size Chrysler 300, and Dodge Charger and Challenger. This plant was inherited from AMC in 1987.
Very cool! Thanks for the geography and history lesson
Old 07-29-16, 03:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My Jeep Grand Cherokees were some of the nicest vehicles I've ever had, I would buy another over a comparable Toyota/Lexus product without hesitation. As for resale, traded the 2014 Jeep in 11 months into a 36 month lease and got my lease payoff. By comparison, I was $8k upside down on my 2013 GS when I traded it in 29 months into the lease, and was a little ahead on my 2010 ES when I traded it in after 30 months.

Chrysler today is not Chrysler of old.
WOW. I have a few family members who would absolutely say that you must have gotten very lucky. They are NOT generally well made vehicles when looking at objective consumer data and from what I have heard from several people. Not sure if the 4 of them got burned or you got lucky . lol.
Old 07-29-16, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
WOW. I have a few family members who would absolutely say that you must have gotten very lucky. They are NOT generally well made vehicles when looking at objective consumer data and from what I have heard from several people. Not sure if the 4 of them got burned or you got lucky . lol.
I know full well the reliability history is hit or miss. I did have numerous small electrical issues with one. The vehicle was so impressive though I would deal with those issues again, that's my point.
Old 07-29-16, 04:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So does this mean 2017 will be the last model year for the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200???? Or are they going to keep making them at a factory in Mexico? Or is 2016 the last model year for both of these cars? The article was kind of vague on the timing and if they were going to keep making these same cars in a different factory.
Old 07-29-16, 05:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So does this mean 2017 will be the last model year for the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200???? Or are they going to keep making them at a factory in Mexico? Or is 2016 the last model year for both of these cars? The article was kind of vague on the timing and if they were going to keep making these same cars in a different factory.
That's because FCA hasn't shown their hand yet. Mexico production is looking unlikely from what I can see. China more likely if FCA will be producing them. And we don't know what form these replacements are going to come in either.