Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Diesels in America

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 04:55 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default They need you at the Space museum

Originally Posted by Sulu
Meeting Euro 4 may be considered a "green car" in Europe but it is nowhere close to EPA (much less CARB) emissions standards. You obviously do not know Euro and EPA emissions standards.
Gone are the days when you can post your opinion and just say it's a fact. And an aggressive post is no more fact just because you're angry. Let us put away the kids' games for now.

This buds for you:
http://bushwacker.com/blog/toyota-ta...el-coming-2017
https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php
http://www.seas.columbia.edu/earth/w...awtec05-48.pdf
http://www.greenercars.org/sites/def...ghlights10.pdf
Old 08-04-16, 05:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Gone are the days when you can post your opinion and just say it's a fact. And an aggressive post is no more fact just because you're angry. Let us put away the kids' games for now.

This buds for you:
http://bushwacker.com/blog/toyota-ta...el-coming-2017
https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php
http://www.seas.columbia.edu/earth/w...awtec05-48.pdf
http://www.greenercars.org/sites/def...ghlights10.pdf
The data you posted is old; and it does nothing to prove what I said is incorrect.

One final comment before I stop posting in this thread again (since you do not want to hear opposing arguments)... I highly doubt that Toyota would buy diesel engines from Cummins. Toyota, perhaps more than any other automaker, likes to keep their suppliers (especially their major ones) "in the family" and Cummins is not in the Toyota family of companies. I know of no other example of a Toyota vehicle that comes from the factory with an engine that is not a Toyota engine.

And you yourself are seeking opinions about Toyota selling its own diesel engines in its own vehicles, not buying third-party engines.
Old 08-05-16, 06:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The data you posted is old; and it does nothing to prove what I said is incorrect.

One final comment before I stop posting in this thread again (since you do not want to hear opposing arguments)... I highly doubt that Toyota would buy diesel engines from Cummins. Toyota, perhaps more than any other automaker, likes to keep their suppliers (especially their major ones) "in the family" and Cummins is not in the Toyota family of companies. I know of no other example of a Toyota vehicle that comes from the factory with an engine that is not a Toyota engine.

And you yourself are seeking opinions about Toyota selling its own diesel engines in its own vehicles, not buying third-party engines.
Absolutely agree with this statement. The LFA used Toyota's CF Loom. Toyota's 2.0T and upcoming FI 6 and 8 cylinder engines are built in-house, helping with quality control.
Old 08-05-16, 09:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Absolutely agree with this statement. The LFA used Toyota's CF Loom. Toyota's 2.0T and upcoming FI 6 and 8 cylinder engines are built in-house, helping with quality control.
I would agree that suppliers need to be part of the big happy family which is toyota, but the LFA did have Yamaha assist in the engine. Come to think of it Yamaha does do alot of engine consulting for diff carmakers (Volvo v8, volvo Drive E engines), the same way lotus does chassis consulting. So if Cummins were to decide to do the same, yea not too bad. However since they already have the engine in production, all they would need is some emissions assistance from any tom **** and harry consulting firm or Cummins themselves.
Old 08-05-16, 10:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Cummins makes some pretty bullet-proof engines. The joke on the Dodge forums is the whole truck will fall apart around the engine, 300k, 400k miles on the truck and its beat, but that Cummins still runs like day 1, doesn't burn any oil. My cousin's 1998ish Dodge dually is proof, family bought it new, up in Ohio everything rusts to pieces. Now days it looks pretty sad with big rust holes in the door, bed, fenders. Dash has big chunks of it sunrotted that fell out, but it still runs like a champ, has a TON of miles on it, mechanically nothing has ever gone wrong with it other than rust related problems(shock body rusted through, brake lines, rusty bed, etc)

I'd be fine with Toyota offering Cummins diesel engines in their trucks, as they have a proven track record of low operating costs and durability. That being said, I can see why Toyota designs and builds all their own engines in house. They are the largest car company, with the best engineering talent, so its likely not cost efficient for them to buy engines when they can design something themselves for the same price or cheaper. Plus I think there is a huge amount of pride in the Toyota corporate culture that would never let them buy an engine from an outside supplier.
Old 08-06-16, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I would agree that suppliers need to be part of the big happy family which is toyota, but the LFA did have Yamaha assist in the engine. Come to think of it Yamaha does do alot of engine consulting for diff carmakers (Volvo v8, volvo Drive E engines), the same way lotus does chassis consulting. So if Cummins were to decide to do the same, yea not too bad. However since they already have the engine in production, all they would need is some emissions assistance from any tom **** and harry consulting firm or Cummins themselves.
You're right Yamaha did assist with the 1LR-GUE. To me though that's collaboration and Toyota still signs off on the final product. Yamaha is a great company and both have a history of working together. They did so on the LFA as you mentioned, but it all started in 1967 with the Toyota 2000GT. Performance-oriented cylinder heads for the IS F's 2UR-GSE and Celica 2ZZ-GE were also done by Yamaha. The results have been some of the most iconic and symphonic ICE's.
Old 08-06-16, 11:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

One final comment before I stop posting in this thread again (since you do not want to hear opposing arguments).
I had to stop posting for a while, it was becoming a waste of time. Diesel Toyota's would never fly in North America markets such as the USA and Canada. The diesel engines from around the world are nowhere near ready for the USA. A 4.5 Land Cruiser diesel in a Toyota Tundra would be laughed at. If that engine was offered in the 4Runner or GX then I could see the argument, however the cost premium would be so high it would not make any sense.

I know of no other example of a Toyota vehicle that comes from the factory with an engine that is not a Toyota engine.
I believe the Scion FRS uses a Subaru engine. But I also think Toyota has a small stake in Subaru. Also, the Yaris Sedan in Canada is a rebadge of the Mazda 2 series, I believe that engine is not a Toyota one.
Old 08-06-16, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe the Scion FRS uses a Subaru engine. But I also think Toyota has a small stake in Subaru. Also, the Yaris Sedan in Canada is a rebadge of the Mazda 2 series, I believe that engine is not a Toyota one.
Yes, Toyota has a 16.48% stake in Subaru parent company Fuji Heavy Industries which is officially changing their name to Subaru Corporation effective April 2017.
Old 08-06-16, 08:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

OK... so, I am posting again when I said that I would not.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I stand corrected. I had forgotten about the Toyobaru sports car... but then it is a joint venture so it is not completely outside of the Toyota family (despite the fact that Subaru did refuse to formally join the Toyota family).

And I forgot about the Scion iA (USA) / Yaris sedan (Canada) built by Mazda in Mexico and badge-engineered for Scion.

And then, there are the Camrys that are being assembled at the Subaru factory in Lafayette, Indiana.

Last edited by Sulu; 08-06-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-06-16, 09:19 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Don't stop when things are just starting to get good
Old 08-06-16, 09:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I stand corrected. I had forgotten about the Toyobaru sports car... but then it is a joint venture so it is not completely outside of the Toyota family (despite the fact that Subaru did refuse to formally join the Toyota family).

And I forgot about the Scion iA (USA) / Yaris sedan (Canada) built by Mazda in Mexico and badge-engineered for Scion.

And then, there are the Camrys that are being assembled at the Subaru factory in Lafayette, Indiana.
I do understand what you mean,y examples where just rebadged examples. Toyota does not go the outsourcing route for an engine for a major vehicle line that is a core product etc.

I will say that for a Toyota to do diesel, it would to be for the Tundra, it would also have to be a big time performer similar to the Cummings diesel in the Nissan Titan XD. I really could see Toyota doing it for the Tundra. But that is it for their North American line of models
Old 08-06-16, 11:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh and as far as a Toyotas with non-Toyota engines, lets not forget about this bastard. It was sold in Japan for a couple years in the 90's, something to do with free trade and the joint venture they had with GM at the time rebadging Corollas as Geos/Chevys.

Old 08-07-16, 10:12 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Oh and as far as a Toyotas with non-Toyota engines, lets not forget about this bastard. It was sold in Japan for a couple years in the 90's, something to do with free trade and the joint venture they had with GM at the time rebadging Corollas as Geos/Chevys.

That is one ugly bastard. Features BIG windows so people know it's YOU that's driving that jalopy.
Old 08-10-16, 06:26 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Default Look at what we have here!

Just say you wouldn't drive this thing: http://www.lexus.ru/car-models/lx/lx-450d/#Introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npsF5nwWf3s

Last edited by superdenso; 08-10-16 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-10-16, 06:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I personally would take the 383hp 5.7 over the 260hp 4.5 any day of the week. The 4.5 is too small a engine for a 3 ton SUV

Quick Reply: Diesels in America