Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Did the dealer sell me a used car as new? (based on Carfax report)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 12:57 AM
Paradigm16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the dealer sell me a used car as new? (based on Carfax report)

Hey guys, I just picked up a new 2016 Lexus RX 350 today and have a few questions regarding the carfax report and the sales receipt.

The sales receipt indicates the car had 19 miles at the point of sale which I signed for on Sunday 7/31/2016, but when I picked up the car on Tuesday 8/2/2016, it had 150 miles on it.

When I asked the dealer why it had so many more miles, they said it was because it was driven from a dealer that is located far away, so I believed them and brought the car home.

Out of suspicion, I got a Carfax report and it contradicts what the dealer said.

The report shows:

The car was in fact brought from another dealer but when my dealer received it, it only had 10 miles, and when it was offered for sale it had 19 miles. So why was there 150 miles when I got it?

Also, it says the car was sold on 2/29/2016, but I bought this car (signed for it) on Sunday 7/31/2016. Was this car actually sold to someone else on 2/29 and it was returned back to the dealer on 3/3? Thiss would explain the 150 miles on the odometer.

Can anyone please help interpret what the carfax is saying? I am afraid I got a used car.

Can I return this car?

Please Help!

Thank you, Clara.

Below is the attached CarFax report.

Last edited by Paradigm16; 08-03-16 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 02:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh, looks like it was indeed sold on 02.16! I would take this Carfax and question the dealer, and demand switching to another one.
Old 08-03-16, 06:20 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 123 Posts

they could of sold it to someone then the loan didnt go through and the car was returned,just a guess
Old 08-03-16, 06:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
they could of sold it to someone then the loan didnt go through and the car was returned,just a guess
Would a dealership release the car,do paperwork and DMV on a vehicle without a loan approval?I doubt it.
Old 08-03-16, 06:49 AM
babyzilla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very interesting. I'm sorry this happened to you as I would be a little suspicious too. If I were you I would definitely go back to the dealership and demand an explanation for the contradiction. If the stories still don't match up or they admit to what really happened then you have a great case to get a brand new car (like you deserve) or get some $ back. Either way, something fishy is going on! Keep us posted, Clara.
Old 08-03-16, 06:51 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 652 Likes on 407 Posts

Chances are the car was punched ("sold" to the dealer itself, usually to inflate sales numbers for that period). Your bigger issue is that your warranty started the day the car was punched.

Are you sure this was not disclosed when you purchased the car?
Old 08-03-16, 06:51 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Would a dealership release the car,do paperwork and DMV on a vehicle without a loan approval?I doubt it.
perhaps, especially if the car was purchased on a sunday. it's unlikely, but not impossible.
Old 08-03-16, 06:59 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My Co-worker's husband bough a new silver RX to surprise her. My co-worker was totally surprised but upset at the same time because she want a pearl white RX. Her Husband returned to dealer next day to trade-in for a pearl white RX and took a $5,000 loss because its a "Used" Car (less than 100 miles on it). Not sure if this silver RX is being sold to another person as new or used.

What did it said on the bill of sale? New?
Old 08-03-16, 07:27 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting that they didn't instead use recession to exchange the car...
Old 08-03-16, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Interesting that they didn't instead use recession to exchange the car...
Don't have that right in every state.

Looks to me like the car was sold and returned for some reason. Perhaps they did not get the loan, perhaps this is a state that does have a recision law and the buyer was able to return it.

Does it make a difference to you? Probably not, the only difference really is when does the warranty start?

I would certainly ask the dealer for clarification.

I have bought new cars with that sort of mileage before. What makes it "new" is that its never been titled. It is possible for the dealer to take the car back if the title has not been sent off to the state and for them to resell it as new.

Old 08-03-16, 08:50 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX was 45 miles away from the dealer I bought from. So it had 48 miles on it when I took possession of it. The key here is that my dealer asked my permission to have my salesman go get it and drive it back and I said yes.
So my point is that from my own experience, your dealer would have to seek your approval to drive your RX from a distance especially that long of a distance.
I think these previous posts are right-you got a used car! That is a lousy thing to pull on you. Take that Carfax to your dealer and raise hell.

Last edited by Radio88; 08-03-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 09:04 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My client just purchased a 17' Q7, but after I told him he had gotten a really bad deal, he was pissed and didn't provid the proof of income and bank statement to the dealership the next day. Guess what, the dealership took the car back after my client had it for two days, and returned all the deposit to him. Wonder what would happen to that Q7?
Old 08-03-16, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
My RX was 45 miles away from the dealer I bought from. So it had 48 miles on it when I took possession of it. The key here is that my dealer asked my permission to have my salesman go get it and drive it back and I said yes.
So my point is that from my own experience, your dealer would have to seek your approval to drive your RX from a distance especially that long of a distance.
I think these previous posts are right-you got a used car! That is a lousy thing to pull on you. Take that Carfax to your dealer and raise hell.
Lets be fair, he knew what the mileage was before he accepted the car. By accepting the car he gave his permission for that transfer to happen and for those miles to be on his car. Its not like they delivered a car to him with 140 miles on it and he didn't know.

The question is, did they lie to him when he asked why it had that many miles on it. That isn't okay. If indeed it was sold to somebody and then they returned it before it was titled or the loan fell through and they returned it and thats why the mileage is on there, they should have answered the question truthfully.

We're all just making guesses here. One other person commented that they may have punched it to get a sales figure for a certain month, and that too is a possibility. Its also a possibility that the Carfax is wrong.

In any event they did not sell you a used car, a car is new if it has never been titled. Dealers sell demos all the time with thousands of miles on them that are technically still new.

You're better off not to go into the dealer and throw around a bunch of words and accusations that you can't back up. I would go in calmly and present the Carfax and tell them you want to understand what occurred here, and what impact it has on your warranty, etc.
Old 08-03-16, 09:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lets be fair, he knew what the mileage was before he accepted the car. By accepting the car he gave his permission for that transfer to happen and for those miles to be on his car. Its not like they delivered a car to him with 140 miles on it and he didn't know.

The question is, did they lie to him when he asked why it had that many miles on it. That isn't okay. If indeed it was sold to somebody and then they returned it before it was titled or the loan fell through and they returned it and thats why the mileage is on there, they should have answered the question truthfully.

We're all just making guesses here. One other person commented that they may have punched it to get a sales figure for a certain month, and that too is a possibility. Its also a possibility that the Carfax is wrong.

In any event they did not sell you a used car, a car is new if it has never been titled. Dealers sell demos all the time with thousands of miles on them that are technically still new.

You're better off not to go into the dealer and throw around a bunch of words and accusations that you can't back up. I would go in calmly and present the Carfax and tell them you want to understand what occurred here, and what impact it has on your warranty, etc.

I agree that this would be the recommended approach. You'll get much further in finding out what happened.
Old 08-03-16, 09:15 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The sales receipt indicates the car had 19 miles at the point of sale which I signed for on Sunday 7/31/2016, but when I picked up the car on Tuesday 8/2/2016, it had 150 miles on it."

According to the OP, she signed to 19 miles.

Last edited by Radio88; 08-03-16 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Did the dealer sell me a used car as new? (based on Carfax report)