Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autoblog: 2017 Buick LaCrosse First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 04:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What do you think of the way the Swedes do the light matte Birchwood trim in Volvos? That has long been one of my favorites.

Just looking at the color of it, not to my liking.
Old 08-05-16, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Luxury should equal real stuff. I agree that should extend to leather too.
Old 08-05-16, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Luxury should equal real stuff. I agree that should extend to leather too.
Depends, I guess, on how you look at it. Luxury, IMO, should equal real COMFORT. You can get what I would call physical comfort, ether with or without real wood and leather (or even with soft velour cloth bench or bucket seats like in older luxury American cars). I have to confess, though, that the nice soft leather that we saw in older Jaguar and Lexus products (Jag used to call it Connally leather) could be a real treat to sit on.
Old 08-05-16, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back to topic.......anybody here in Car Chat have a chance to drive a new LaCrosse yet? If so, fire away.....let's hear it.
Old 08-05-16, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Real wood trim? This looks to be a big improvement over the previous car but fake wood trim will always keep it out of being a legit luxury car IMHO
cheap shot at buick. we used to say the same thing about leather and 4 cylinder engines.
Old 08-05-16, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
cheap shot at buick. we used to say the same thing about leather and 4 cylinder engines.
Haha, true enough.

At least this has a V6!
Old 08-05-16, 07:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Haha, true enough.

At least this has a V6!
And the Buick has a similar weight, same mileage, and more power than the ES. Makes me wonder if and when the ES will get the RX's revised 3.5L with the D4S injection system 295hp vs current 268hp.
Old 08-05-16, 08:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks pretty stylish from the pics, not ground breaking, but handsome. I'm really digging the turbine wheels, the front clip, especially the grill. Its a traditional Buick waterfall grill, but its a more modern take in that its not all chrome. I also like that the color is back on the badge as well.

Although that low roofline and high door glass that is ever present on sedans now days might make it claustrophobic inside. The last LaCrosse had that issue, you didn't notice the high doors/small glass too much from the front seats. The rear seats though in the old car, felt like you were in a bunker, but it wasn't as bad as some other cars(Camaro or the last gen dodge Charger). Old sedans you can see out of so much better, the windows are bigger and lower in the door, the trunk isn't as high. I wonder if this is one reason people are flocking to crossovers, outward visibility can be rather compromised depending on the car.
Old 08-05-16, 10:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I wouldn't ask for or expect more horsepower in this segment. Most ES and TheCrosse buyers are seniors who don't car about drag racing from a red light. MPG's and engine refinement should be the name of the game here.
Old 08-05-16, 10:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I wouldn't ask for or expect more horsepower in this segment. Most ES and TheCrosse buyers are seniors who don't car about drag racing from a red light. MPG's and engine refinement should be the name of the game here.
MPG is competitive and the 3.6 GM V6 has always been a very smooth, very quiet operator. Extra HP is frosting on the cake, and honestly I think people do care about HP in this segment, otherwise you'd see all the cars with 4 cylinder engines standard and the V6 optional. I know if I spent 35-40k on a new, big sedan, I wouldn't want the same 4 cylinder engine as a Malibu or base model Camry. That's the same reason I don't like the new Volvos, they're 4 cylinder only, with a very complex supercharged and turbocharged engine that makes similar HP numbers to this V6 Buick and gets a whopping 2mpg better on the EPA test. In real life the XC90 with that same 4 cylinder engine does WORSE than the EPA fuel economy numbers and IMO looks to be an expensive money pit after 3-4 years of ownership.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-05-16 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-06-16, 06:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There are more non-seniors buying the ES and LaCrosse than is the general image painted the auto press, but, you're right...they are definitely cars designed primarily for sedate driving.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think people do care about HP in this segment, otherwise you'd see all the cars with 4 cylinder engines standard and the V6 optional. I know if I spent 35-40k on a new, big sedan, I wouldn't want the same 4 cylinder engine as a Malibu or base model Camry.
The former 2Gen Lacrosse, with an optional V6, DID come with a base 4 as standard, along with a start/stop system. But it was definitely a larger 4 than what you are finding now in the base Malibu and Fusion, which is in the 1.5-1.6L turbo class.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-06-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-06-16, 07:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

You actually should expect more horsepower. If Buick is calling their cars "Luxury cars" then it should have the proper horse power ratings. In this case, 305hp is very good.

Also, congrats has to go out to GM as this Buick is not imported from China.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-06-16 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-06-16, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In a luxury car what horsepower gives you IMHO is effortless driving. Its not about being the fastest car on the road, its about never having to feel the powertrain struggling to meet your power needs.
Old 08-06-16, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You actually should expect more horsepower. If Buick is calling their cars "Luxury cars" then it should have the proper horse power ratings. In this case, 305hp is very good.
All else equal, torque is actually a more important measure of throttle response/acceleration, especially at low RPMs. HP figures more into overcoming air resistance and the car's ultimate top speed, which is usually of little concern on speed-regulated American roads.
Old 08-06-16, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In a luxury car what horsepower gives you IMHO is effortless driving. Its not about being the fastest car on the road, its about never having to feel the powertrain struggling to meet your power needs.
Luxury cars, because of their large number of standard and optional features (including sound insulation) also (usually) have added weight compared to their more mundane comparably-sized cars. So, all else equal (same transmissions, final-drive ratios, etc...), more power is needed to just to get them moving.

Quick Reply: Autoblog: 2017 Buick LaCrosse First Drive