Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 04:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Getting back to the original OP question............favorite luxury car regardless of year/technology/make/model:

In general, I'd have to say almost any large American luxury-sedan from the mid/late 60s through about 1970, though I have to admit that the carburetors and breaker-point ignitions of the period were a PITA. That was before the days of electronic fuel-injection and electronic ignitions/engine-controls. My personal favorite, and the one with the smoothest powertrain, was the Buick Electra 225....although the Lincoln Continental was probably the best-riding, just like a magic carpet. The big Chryslers had bulletproof engines and handled the best with the torsion-bar/leaf suspension, but had spotty assembly-quality, more road/drivetrain noise, and cheaper interiors.
Old 10-17-23, 04:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

W140, ls400/430, e38, w126
Old 10-17-23, 05:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Maybach 57S is my reflex pick
Old 10-17-23, 06:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Holy thread resurrection.
Old 10-17-23, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

An STS is a higher caliber car than an ES. Even though it’s old you’re going to be disappointed in some aspects of the ES. It would be best compared with a GS, if the GS still existed…

Surprised you haven’t had any issues with the Northstar in your STS. They have such huge problems with head gasket failures and the job to replace them is so expensive most have been scrapped and totaled.
Old 10-17-23, 07:30 PM
STS2000
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mmarshall;11597380] Getting back to the original OP question............favorite luxury car regardless of year/technology/make/model:

Sorry I got so carried away in my post. I should have stopped after noting the 2000 Cadillac STS. Oops. Thank you for the gentle reminder... :-)

Old 10-17-23, 07:42 PM
STS2000
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
An STS is a higher caliber car than an ES. Even though it’s old you’re going to be disappointed in some aspects of the ES. It would be best compared with a GS, if the GS still existed…

Surprised you haven’t had any issues with the Northstar in your STS. They have such huge problems with head gasket failures and the job to replace them is so expensive most have been scrapped and totaled.
So I have read and we feel pretty lucky to have avoided major problems so far. That is why we have started shopping around for a replacement. I will drive this car as long as it will let me. Once the truly expensive repairs are needed, we'll put it out to pasture. Until then, we will manage the small repairs along the way.

Thank you for the warning about possible future disappointments. I think I fall into the 'old dogs and new tricks' category.
Old 10-17-23, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Getting back to the original OP question............favorite luxury car regardless of year/technology/make/model:
Originally Posted by STS2000
Sorry I got so carried away in my post. I should have stopped after noting the 2000 Cadillac STS. Oops. Thank you for the gentle reminder... :-)
(fixed the quotes for you)

No problem ......... opinions run far and wide on an issue like this. I brought up the big '60s American dinosaurs because, unlike many others here, I had the good fortune to not only grow up with them (and the 60s American muscle-cars) but drive and own some of them.
Old 10-17-23, 10:46 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

An STS is a higher caliber car than an ES.
it is? aren't they all FWD transverse based? the GS at least is actual proper RWD architecture
Old 10-18-23, 12:01 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Holy coincidence lol! I had a customer who needed an emergency fix a few hours ago on an STS wheel bearing.

When I drove it with no prior experience with one I thought to myself "wow, this is kind of like a GS or 525i"
Old 10-18-23, 12:03 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it is? aren't they all FWD transverse based? the GS at least is actual proper RWD architecture
It's a true RWD platform with AWD as an option

Old 10-18-23, 05:31 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by STS2000
I am THRILLED to have found this forum topic. My favorite car is the one I still drive, the 2000 Cadillac STS. I bought it new in Dec 2000 and it currently has less than 51,000 miles. We have decided it might be time to get a new car and the Lexus ES350 UL has been highly recommended. We finally went to the, poorly lighted, showroom to have a look. They had very little inventory and nothing in the model and trim that we wanted. They also did not have the interior color we desire on any model so we could at least see if it is something we would want. Fortunately, they had the Palomino color and I was immediately able to dismiss that color as a possibility. When I sat in the car, I felt claustrophobic; it seems so small and dark. The experience was a huge disappointment. But, when I am, eventually, able to sit in the trim model I wish to purchase, maybe I will be happy with it. It has certainly received excellent reviews and is seems to have an excellent maintenance record.

We have driven rental cars over the years so we are familiar with the improvements along the way. But, my STS has so many luxurious features that are not offered in the ES350 UL. Of course, the 350 UL has some features not available in my current car. At an auto show a few years ago, I commented to the salesman that the Lexus did not seem particularly luxurious and I was told that people don't want luxury anymore and prefer the sportier feel of a car. I have considered looking at other cars... Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, and Audi. Probably, I could still get the luxury that I currently have in my STS but for a price I am not willing to pay. The sticker price of our 2000 STS was $53k. That's a lot for 23 years ago.

It is a silly thing, but what irks me the most in the Lexus UL is that the seat belts are black and the dashboard is black, same as in most cars of this time, I suppose. It is hard for me to accept that as my STS interior is all cream and the dash is a taupe color. It is bright and spacious.

My friends and family are sick of hearing me say how much I love my (current) car, but it's true. Nothing I can afford equals the features in my current car. We have decided to keep driving it at least for next year. If Lexus discontinues the V6, we will likely purchase the Lexus before that happens. Thank you all for letting me "vent."
We are all glad you like your car. I am a big Cadillac fan myself, nothing else American comes even close and never has (in my life at least).
Old 10-18-23, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

It is, but it was built to a higher standard than an ES and has more sophisticated suspension and much more isolation materials etc. Back in the 90s both Lincoln and Cadillac and Acura were making FWD cars that were much higher end than an ES.

That STS cost about $50,000 in 2000, only about $9,000-10,000 less than a loaded LS400 while a loaded ES cost about $35,000.

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's a true RWD platform with AWD as an option

Not his 2000, his 2000 was the prior generation that was still FWD. I believe in 03 the STS went RWD.
Old 10-18-23, 07:21 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

It is, but it was built to a higher standard than an ES and has more sophisticated suspension and much more isolation materials etc. Back in the 90s both Lincoln and Cadillac and Acura were making FWD cars that were much higher end than an ES.

That STS cost about $50,000 in 2000, only about $9,000-10,000 less than a loaded LS400 while a loaded ES cost about $35,000.
it definitely cost more than an ES (and has a more fun engine) but isn't it ultimately on the same platform as things like the lesabre and bonneville?

but i'm happy to change my views if it actually does feel like a more solid, higher caliber of car in terms of handing characteristics, high speed stability, etc...
Old 10-18-23, 07:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Not his 2000, his 2000 was the prior generation that was still FWD. I believe in 03 the STS went RWD.
Yep, the Seville including the STS and SLS variants was retired after MY24 (which ended production in '23). Those were the FWD ones. Then they brought back the STS name on the Sigma RWD platform in 2004. But it was a completely different car, essentially just a larger CTS.

it definitely cost more than an ES (and has a more fun engine) but isn't it ultimately on the same platform as things like the lesabre and bonneville?
Yes, the G platform underpinned the LeSabre, Park Avenue, Bonneville, and Aurora, in addition to the Cadillac Deville and Seville models.

Quick Reply: Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .