Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 08:44 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It is, but it was built to a higher standard than an ES and has more sophisticated suspension and much more isolation materials etc. Back in the 90s both Lincoln and Cadillac and Acura were making FWD cars that were much higher end than an ES.

That STS cost about $50,000 in 2000, only about $9,000-10,000 less than a loaded LS400 while a loaded ES cost about $35,000.

Not his 2000, his 2000 was the prior generation that was still FWD. I believe in 03 the STS went RWD.
I just realized he has the older one, yeah the one I just fixed was an 08
Old 10-18-23, 09:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it definitely cost more than an ES (and has a more fun engine) but isn't it ultimately on the same platform as things like the lesabre and bonneville?

but i'm happy to change my views if it actually does feel like a more solid, higher caliber of car in terms of handing characteristics, high speed stability, etc...
It absolutely did, my dad had a 95 STS which was the generation before this 2000, and it was actually an excellent car to drive despite being FWD. Great, smooth V8, excellent ride and confident handling, nice materials inside (build quality wasn’t great) but definitely a considerable step up from an ES in all areas. The 98-03 that he has was much improved from that car.

If you go back there are a lot of comparison tests where they look at the Seville (STS, SLS) next to the LS400 and the Cadillac held up quite well, there’s a MotorWeek retro review out there on YT actually you should watch.

The Lincoln Continental of the era was also such a car despite being FWD. Acura Legend also
Old 10-18-23, 10:34 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It absolutely did, my dad had a 95 STS which was the generation before this 2000, and it was actually an excellent car to drive despite being FWD. Great, smooth V8, excellent ride and confident handling, nice materials inside (build quality wasn’t great) but definitely a considerable step up from an ES in all areas. The 98-03 that he has was much improved from that car.

If you go back there are a lot of comparison tests where they look at the Seville (STS, SLS) next to the LS400 and the Cadillac held up quite well, there’s a MotorWeek retro review out there on YT actually you should watch.

The Lincoln Continental of the era was also such a car despite being FWD. Acura Legend also
well nice to hear that 90s GM still knew how to get s*** done haha

but still, a FWD V8 is disappointing... in the LS 400 if you give it some gas mid corner you can actually feel the back help rotate the car through the turn and there's a kind of playfulness about it... with a FWD car i'd have a tough time convincing myself that i've truly taken the next step up in terms of design and capability when it'll just want to torque steer and push outward
Old 10-18-23, 10:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

but still, a FWD V8 is disappointing... in the LS 400 if you give it some gas mid corner you can actually feel the back help rotate the car through the turn and there's a kind of playfulness about it... with a FWD car i'd have a tough time convincing myself that i've truly taken the next step up in terms of design and capability when it'll just want to torque steer and push outward
Yes, you can't beat RWD driving dynamics with a stick. Though those FWD cars drove better than you think.
Old 10-18-23, 10:45 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes, you can't beat RWD driving dynamics with a stick. Though those FWD cars drove better than you think.
oh i admit for the vast majority of people the FWD makes more sense... more room inside and no hump in the middle of the floor

but nobody serious about driving will be fully satisfied with that, for a start you can't go to a snowy parking lot and do donuts lol (or even a non snowy parking lot but i'm not trying to be rough on my car)
Old 10-18-23, 10:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

oh i admit for the vast majority of people the FWD makes more sense... more room inside and no hump in the middle of the floor

but nobody serious about driving will be fully satisfied with that, for a start you can't go to a snowy parking lot and do donuts lol (or even a non snowy parking lot but i'm not trying to be rough on my car)
Plus that, a proper burnout and tire roasting must be done with the back wheels.

It's face palm to see a front wheel burnout anyway and nobody should have to see that Lol
Old 10-18-23, 10:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

RWD vastly superior. Lol I have LX570 for snow. I like AWD driving dynamics too, at least in that truck. FWD can be pretty good actually, just not for people like us.
Old 10-18-23, 10:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Plus that, a proper burnout and tire roasting must be done with the back wheels.

It's face palm to see a front wheel burnout anyway and nobody should have to see that Lol
I haven’t done a burnout in years hahaha. Agree though!

An LS430 burnout is fun. Open diff and strong V8.
Old 10-18-23, 11:09 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

RWD vastly superior. Lol I have LX570 for snow. I like AWD driving dynamics too, at least in that truck. FWD can be pretty good actually, just not for people like us.
it's important to note though that not AWDs are the same... most AWD cars are still FWD based, aka they send power to the front wheels first and will then send power to the back as needed, so they still feel like a FWD car

the C300 my parents had before the GLE450 they have now is still a RWD platform that sends power to the back first, so you still have those nice driving characteristics and can do this haha

my friend tried the same with his subaru forester and it couldn't do anything like that... even with me giving it a go lol
Old 10-18-23, 11:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

it's important to note though that not AWDs are the same... most AWD cars are still FWD based, aka they send power to the front wheels first and will then send power to the back as needed, so they still feel like a FWD car

the C300 my parents had before the GLE450 they have now is still a RWD platform that sends power to the back first, so you still have those nice driving characteristics and can do this haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-gKh7GyGUA

my friend tried the same with his subaru forester and it couldn't do anything like that... even with me giving it a go lol
I've got a Torsen diff with a 65/35 split (then it goes to axle with most grip if it slips). I know what you're talking about though.

I myself prefer exactly what I have for AWD. If you make a turn out fast a certain way you can burn rubber for a sec, lmao, in an LX.

BTW yes, MB can make good AWD.... 4-Matic is legit. I hear that hideous 2.0t moan though in your video, appeal of car ruined.
Old 10-18-23, 11:51 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

I've got a Torsen diff with a 65/35 split (then it goes to axle with most grip if it slips). I know what you're talking about though.

I myself prefer exactly what I have for AWD. If you make a turn out fast a certain way you can burn rubber for a sec, lmao, in an LX.

BTW yes, MB can make good AWD.... 4-Matic is legit. I hear that hideous 2.0t moan though in your video, appeal of car ruined.
well my point was that the C-class (the first "real" mercedes in the lineup lol) is still a proper longitudinal mounted engine RWD platform that's been converted to AWD, so it's still all there on the handling feel

yes the 2.0T is what it is... actually a decent sized turbo in the C300 though, going from 1500 to 3000rpm is kind of fun but after that just gets flat and whiney with the power delivery... i think a tune could really liven things up and bring the fun back
Old 10-18-23, 12:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

well my point was that the C-class (the first "real" mercedes in the lineup lol) is still a proper longitudinal mounted engine RWD platform that's been converted to AWD, so it's still all there on the handling feel
Good. Like I said they always did it right.

yes the 2.0T is what it is... actually a decent sized turbo in the C300 though, going from 1500 to 3000rpm is kind of fun but after that just gets flat and whiney with the power delivery... i think a tune could really liven things up and bring the fun back
Yes, they taper off quick. The boost is nice.... but the sounds and feel not so much. But, it is what it is.

Old 10-18-23, 12:47 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Good. Like I said they always did it right.
well you say "they" but again things like the GLA and CLA are still transverse mounted FWD based platforms

that's why i'm a C/E/S class or go home guy lol
Old 10-18-23, 12:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

well you say "they" but again things like the GLA and CLA are still transverse mounted FWD based platforms

that's why i'm a C/E/S class or go home guy lol
Probably unsurprisingly to you, I heard how good their 4-Matic was with S-Classes beginning with the W220, all the way back then.

They said you just find a snow drift, floor the pedal and off you went (slowly and controlled). They couldn't get it stuck.

So, I assume MB is still good at AWD.
Old 10-18-23, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

No question RWD is superior, but the Seville of the generation we had and that generation was really trying to be a competitor to european and japanese brands and they made a very compelling car. Back then too a LOT of people bought those cars and were used to FWD cars being what you have when looking for luxury outside of the Germans. Our Country Club parking lot was full of Sevilles and Continentals, even Chrysler Imperials and other things like that.

Probably unsurprisingly to you, I heard how good their 4-Matic was with S-Classes beginning with the W220, all the way back then..
My 4 Matic S560 actually is not as good in the snow as my AWD LS460 was, likely because of the wide rear tires...

Quick Reply: Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .