Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac bringing new concept to Pebble Beach

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 11:47 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
And Porsche proved you can do it in the $100k+ territory with the Panamera.
And to an extant Ferrari did so with the FF
Old 08-19-16, 01:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm raving over this Escala Concept (CT8). I'm all for this direction for Cadillac design, modern and elegant, yet chiseled. The exterior still nods to their Art & Science philosophy, and the interior hearkens back to those 50's and 60's Cadillac's. Whatever that grey material is, looks familiar but I can't put a name to it, nice touch. This looks like a worthy flagship

The Escala looks to be more in the light of the latest Jaguar XJ, Maserati Quattroporte, Lexus LS (if the LF-FC is any indication), and to an extent the 2nd generation Porsche Panamera. The Mercedes S-Calss, Audi A8, and BMW 7-Series are seemingly still holding out with the more traditional shape.

Old 08-19-16, 03:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
And to an extant Ferrari did so with the FF
Eh I wouldn't get carried away on that one. I remember Ferrari was withholding allotments of other models unless dealers agreed to take the slow-selling FF.
Old 08-19-16, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Eh I wouldn't get carried away on that one. I remember Ferrari was withholding allotments of other models unless dealers agreed to take the slow-selling FF.
The FF is officially the GTC4Lusso as of Feb 2016.
Old 08-19-16, 03:58 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

the shape of the escala is sexy AF.

i like all the lines. I'll take one as is
Old 08-19-16, 05:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The FF is officially the GTC4Lusso as of Feb 2016.
Yes I'm aware...that doesn't change my statement. Also no GTC4Lusso's have been delivered yet- production isn't scheduled for LHD U.S.-bound deliveries until late September.
Old 08-19-16, 11:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

The interior and dash are excellent. A modern twist to old Cadillac heritage. Such a direction makes perfect sense, instead of trying to morph Chevy or Buick DNA.
But the body shape is another dumpy turd design with no trunk. That didn't work with the oddly proportioned DTS and it won't work here. The main way hatchbacks work in the U.S. is when they are applied to sporty or sports cars. Cadillac needs to do all it can to follow the recipe of it's main competitors- BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Jag. None of the top sedans from those companies short-change their customers a trunk. GM cannot afford to go off course once again.
Old 08-19-16, 11:36 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The interior and dash are excellent. A modern twist to old Cadillac heritage. Such a direction makes perfect sense, instead of trying to morph Chevy or Buick DNA.
But the body shape is another dumpy turd design with no trunk. That didn't work with the oddly proportioned DTS and it won't work here. The main way hatchbacks work in the U.S. is when they are applied to sporty or sports cars. Cadillac needs to do all it can to follow the recipe of it's main competitors- BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Jag. None of the top sedans from those companies short-change their customers a trunk. GM cannot afford to go off course once again.

you mean a bigger trunk opening?

the escada looks like it has a pretty deep trunk.
Old 08-20-16, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The interior and dash are excellent.
The general dash styling eminds me of the old GM cars from the 1980s, especially the much-hyped Pontiac 6000STE. I just wonder if that was an intentional retro-touch, like what we are seeing with today's pony cars (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger)?
Old 08-20-16, 09:47 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone's doing the slitty headlight look now. But I love it!

Also general design observation: it seems Lexus and Cadillac are going in a different direction from the Germans in terms of the dash and door connection. The Germans are going full-bore on making the door panels flow directly to the dashboard,see Mercedes-Maybach Vision coupe. While Lexus and Cadillac (see Lexus LC500 and LC-FC and this Cadillac Escala concept) have some integration of the door panel, but generally they separate the dashboard as a monolithic bar that sort of dies into the door panel instead of continuing its lines with the panel.

Paging cmk for his thoughts on this observation!

Last edited by mordecai; 08-20-16 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-20-16, 12:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mordecai

Also general design observation: it seems Lexus and Cadillac are going in a different direction from the Germans in terms of the dash and door connection. The Germans are going full-bore on making the door panels flow directly to the dashboard,see Mercedes-Maybach Vision coupe. While Lexus and Cadillac (see Lexus LC500 and LC-FC and this Cadillac Escala concept) have some integration of the door panel, but generally they separate the dashboard as a monolithic bar that sort of dies into the door panel instead of continuing its lines with the panel.

Paging cmk for his thoughts on this observation!
I'm not cmk but you can just take one look at Audi's new interior design theme and tell that you shouldn't be lumping all of the Germans together.

Last edited by TangoRed; 08-20-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mordecai
That's because of two main reasons. First, for aerodynamic efficiency, as the small thin light-fairings don't have much air resistance. Second, because advances in bulbs, lighting, and wiring have allowed small headlights like that to put out as much, or more, light than earlier designs.
Old 08-21-16, 04:13 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because of two main reasons. First, for aerodynamic efficiency, as the small thin light-fairings don't have much air resistance. Second, because advances in bulbs, lighting, and wiring have allowed small headlights like that to put out as much, or more, light than earlier designs.
I really wish the US government regulations regarding LED headlights would change. Those headlights on the concept, if you used LED's , you could get them to that look/shape on a production car. You could sell it in Europe but not in the US, US regs on headlights are very outdated, just flat banning LED's for the main and high beam projectors.
Old 08-21-16, 09:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I really wish the US government regulations regarding LED headlights would change. Those headlights on the concept, if you used LED's , you could get them to that look/shape on a production car. You could sell it in Europe but not in the US, US regs on headlights are very outdated, just flat banning LED's for the main and high beam projectors.
What? Plenty of cars in the U.S. have LED's for the main and high beam. I own 2 examples. The "matrix" function of the LED's that allows the high beams to be permanently on while selectively dimming parts of the output to prevent blinding others is what's illegal in the U.S.
Old 08-21-16, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What? Plenty of cars in the U.S. have LED's for the main and high beam. I own 2 examples. The "matrix" function of the LED's that allows the high beams to be permanently on while selectively dimming parts of the output to prevent blinding others is what's illegal in the U.S.
You can at least partially thank MoveOn, a left-wing political-action group, for the (former) delay in getting LEDs approved. Now, they not only want LEDs banned, but HIDs as well. This is their latest petition (I simply post it for reference, not because I necessarily agree with it).

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/ban...ing-headlights

We call on Congress to ban harsh, blinding headlights by revising Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 to include specific language that bans the use of any light that is blinding, dazzling, distracting or otherwise causes pain and damage to the eyes of onlookers.
There are currently 540 signatures. NEW goal - We need 750 signatures!PETITION BACKGROUND
The rise of HID and LED headlights are causing a lightmare by producing harsh, painful light that temporarily blinds other drivers and creates an environment of aggression and intimidation. They are a burden to everyone and should be banned. I appeal to your personal experience, if you are tired of being blinded on the road please sign my petition!

Quick Reply: Cadillac bringing new concept to Pebble Beach