Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Chrysler can throw all the leather they want inside of the Jeep GC, that still doesn't mean the interior is of overall higher quality than a comparably-priced RX. Personally I can't understand why people spend so much on these Grand Cherokees. There's something about the Jeep name that Americans love despite their mediocrity and poor reliability. Similar to the love affair with mediocre Tahoes, Yukons, and Escalades.

For $50K a Q5 3.0 with luxury package (leather dash and doors) floats my boat a lot better than either of those two.
Brown Pride, have you actually driven a JGC? Sometimes, as humans, we have pre-conceived images of vehicles that, once we actually look at and sample them, turn out to be wrong. Hey, I was once like that myself with Hyundai and Kia products. Their reputation in the late 80s and 90s was so bad (and my test-drive experience with the 1987 Hyundai Excel so unimpressive) that I delayed for years even going back to look at them. When I finally did so again, in the late 1990s, I found they were definitely on the way back up, and, by the early 2000s, a completely different company.

Now, that doesn't mean that everything Jeep makes is worthy of being on the front page. I have never been impressed with the Compass or Patriot, and, on my review last year, I found the then-new Renegade to be little more than a toy with questionable build-qualty. But the JGC is a pretty impressive vehicle, if you simply go look at it.
Old 08-30-16, 07:50 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, I am looking for something more practical than my S5 and you guys have really made me want to check out the Grand Cherokee. They turn my head every time I see them on the road. No brand snobbery here.
Old 08-30-16, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Wow, I am looking for something more practical than my S5 and you guys have really made me want to check out the Grand Cherokee. They turn my head every time I see them on the road. No brand snobbery here.
The only (possible) fly in the ointment with them is a worse-than-average reliability rating from Consumer Reports. Steve (SW15LS) owned a 2011, and said he had electrical issues with it....then replaced it with a 2014 that was reliable. Bitkahuna has one that is maybe a couple of years old, and that has (apparently) been reliable from the start.
Old 08-30-16, 08:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

What you find from reading the forums is that the electrical issues were sorted through after 2011 and after the refresh in 2014 (mine was a very late build 2014). I know many people with them, there are 4 within eyesight of my driveway, all are happy.
Old 08-30-16, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What you find from reading the forums is that the electrical issues were sorted through after 2011 and after the refresh in 2014 (mine was a very late build 2014). I know many people with them, there are 4 within eyesight of my driveway, all are happy.
Good point......that's because it sometimes takes Consumer Reports a year (or more) for its reliability data to catch up with actual customer experience. The questionnaires are sent out only once a year.......I get them myself.

Still, IMO, probably the best source available for auto-reliability.
Old 08-31-16, 03:10 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove a new Tahoe as a rental on vacation and wasn't at all impressed. For all the hype it felt like every other Tahoe I'd ever driven. Sloppy.
Old 08-31-16, 05:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I drove a new Tahoe as a rental on vacation and wasn't at all impressed. For all the hype it felt like every other Tahoe I'd ever driven. Sloppy.
What do you mean by "sloppy"? One cannot expect a two-and-a half ton, truck-based SUV to have the road manners of a Miata.
Old 08-31-16, 07:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Was the 2014 a refresh? When's the next model expected to come out?
Old 08-31-16, 07:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
The 2014 was a refresh that has an all new infotainment system that gave them fits. The car was slightly refreshed for 2017 again, my guess is 2019 for an all new GC.
Old 08-31-16, 08:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
If you get around to checking out the GC, let us know your thoughts. I didn't know much about them but saw a couple of well equipped GC's at the auto show and was impressed. Beautiful interiors.
Old 08-31-16, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The 2014 was a refresh that has an all new infotainment system that gave them fits. The car was slightly refreshed for 2017 again, my guess is 2019 for an all new GC.
They might (?) be bringing back the old Wagoneer nameplate.

I'm not sure I agree with this writer, though, on today's JGC...IMO, it is quite opulent.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rand-cherokee/

Ever since the Jeep Grand Wagoneer died in 1991—after 29 years without a major redesign—Jeep hasn't truly had a top-of-the-line luxury SUV. Sure, the Grand Cherokee is great, and you can get it with all kinds of high-zoot luxury options, but true opulence hasn't been a part of the Jeep lineup for more than 20 years.

Luckily, that will all change around 2019 or so, when Jeep adds both a Wagoneer and a Grand Wagoneer to the top of its lineup, above the Grand Cherokee.

That's the word from Jeep brand chief Mike Manley, who told Automotive Newsthat the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will be built on the platform of the next-generation Grand Cherokee, but they'll be more than just trim lines.

"The Wagoneer name represents, historically, the pinnacle of premium for the Jeep world," Manley said. "But in the same way as you may have an Overland and a Summit, you have different trim levels. So you could imagine the use of Wagoneer to denote a really premium vehicle, and Grand Wagoneer takes it to the very next level. If you were to use that as your naming strategy, that's exactly how I would use the trims."

An addendum to the Automotive News article clarifies that the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer will be separate vehicles, rather than option packages added to the Grand Cherokee.

If you're holding out for a return of the slab-sided woodie wagon, like the 1984 example shown above, maybe don't hold your breath. But as far as legendary nameplates we would love to see make a comeback, the Wagoneer name is at the top of the list. And maybe we'd spec it with wood wallpaper, just for fun.
Old 08-31-16, 05:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I respect your opinion on it. Darth Vader looks, though, generally aren't my cup of tea......though the Mercury Marauder (remember that from 1999?) managed to do it fairly decently. It was somewhat underpowered, though (I test-drove one)....that 302 HP 4.6L V8 just didn't have the torque that the long, heavy Marauder needed to be a true muscle-car. The Grand National/GNX powerplants IMO, weren't all that impressive, either, even with some of them running over 300 ft-lbs, of torque. I'll admit, though, that that was partly because I had grown up, some 20 years earlier, with the REAL performance engines in the 1960s......including the 1969-70 Buick GS400, whose enormous 455 c.i. V8s, also used in Pontiac GTO Judge models and Olds 4-4-2's, were running some 500 ft-lbs. of torque. Though others exist, the only car that I've personally driven since then, that even comes close to that kind of power, is the Mercedes E63 AMG.
Haha. Yeah I got my exposure to some of those engines as a kid. There is no replacement for displacement... sometimes. The torquey motors like 390's, 440's, 455's (yes I got to drive cars with those engines, even if only briefly) were amazing. My Gran Prix's 400 big block was an astonishing torque monster (it wasn't the ugly post 1972 style either).

But they were crude compared to the evolution of V8's in the decades afterwards. One thing with the GN's, Trans Am's was the lighter more agile handling due to lower curb weights. A lot of those old cars would not corner or stop worth a dang.
Old 08-31-16, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
But they were crude compared to the evolution of V8's in the decades afterwards. One thing with the GN's, Trans Am's was the lighter more agile handling due to lower curb weights. A lot of those old cars would not corner or stop worth a dang.
The late 60s vintage Fords and Mercurys could stop, with the power front disc/rear drum setup that came on most of their performance cars (my dad had a somewhat more tame 390 c.i. 1965 Thunderbird with brakes that were just superb for the period). But, for some reason (and I didn't know why), other manufacturers, back then, simply couldn't engineer even their power disc brakes like Ford....fade, swerving, brake-wear, and longer stopping-lengths were just a part of life with them. The standard, all-drum Chrysler-designed brakes were arguably the worst.

As far as handling went, all else equal, the torsion-front/leaf-rear Chrysler products had somewhat of an advantage over other designs. But, compared to today's vehicles, yes, even the MoPars back then handled like boats. Part of the problem was the primitive, recirculating-ball steering that almost everybody used back then, which was not only sluggish, but tended to develop free-play across the middle with age and wear.
Old 08-31-16, 07:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'd love it if they brought back a 3 row Wagoneer. It's going to be a long time before I can buy a two row vehicle again.
Old 08-31-16, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good point......that's because it sometimes takes Consumer Reports a year (or more) for its reliability data to catch up with actual customer experience. The questionnaires are sent out only once a year.......I get them myself.
Still, IMO, probably the best source available for auto-reliability.
you guys are discussing reports about a 2011 model which is now 5 years old... totally irrelevant to today's vehicles.

Originally Posted by Allen K
yes, and '14 got the 8 speed auto and the new infotainment system, both of which initially had glitches. i got the '15 and they added active noise cancellation and acoustic glass on the summit trim. my 8 speed and infotainment system have been issue free. the only lame part i found was that the uconnect app for the phone is too slow to be useful (communicating with the car over sprint's cell network). my car has a 3G hotspot in it too which might be useful to some but i ain't paying for slow in car wifi. also, the sub is too loud for most for my mp3 playing in my view and non-adjustable (the 3 band tone equalizer isn't sufficient).

one thing that blows me away is the 22 buttons on the steering wheel i can control almost everything without taking my hands off the wheel.

my guess is 2019 for an all new GC.
apparently '17 is the last year for the current design. excited to see their next gen.

Quick Reply: What's The Point Of Owning A 'Luxury' Car Anymore?