Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are you? An aggressive driver or a right hand land hogger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 11:38 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What are you? An aggressive driver or a right hand land hogger?

i read through most of the threads dealing with hybrid driving style and I can't help but wonder if i am an aggressive driver causing bad gas mileage on my car. It seems that I'm normal but everyone on this hybrid forum seems to be on Prozac or super nice Canadian who let you merge in front of them. Please take this quiz. Easy stuff - multiple choice:

1. I drive on:

a. Left lane (fastest lane) whenever possible
b. Somewhere in the middle lanes
c. Right most lane because I'm in no rush

2. I leave xxx car Length between me and the car in front.

a 1
b. 2
c. 3
d. As much as possible so long people don't honk

3. Under ideal conditions, I drive xxxxx the speed limit

a. 10 mph or more than
b. 5 to 10 mph over
c. At the
d. Under

4. How often do you red-line the tech (I meant FULL power on the ICE)
a. Every time I get in the car
b. Once per day
c. Once per week
d. Rarely

5. On a two lane rush hour situation you encounter one lane with 2 cars in front and the next lane with no car in it. There is a car that is in your rear view mirror approaching. You...

A. Take the pole position before another moves in there
b. Let the approaching car from the rear take the pole position but move behind it so that you are not number 3
c. Do nothing

6. On a long down hill I tend to...

a. Down shift to save my brakes
b. Brake intermittently to not burn my pads
c I can downshift??? What's that???

7. When I entering a sweeping turn like a highway entrance my coffee in the cup holder

A. Sloshes around but does not spill
B. Must have a lid otherwise the g force will make the coffee spill
c. No lid needed.

8. When I get cut off without a sorry hand gesture from the driver, I ...

a. curse but keep it in the car
b. Curse and use the middle finger
c. Do both A and B
d. Keep calm and listen to John Tesh

9. In the last 500 miles of driving ABS kicked in

a 10 times or more
b. 5 to 9 timrs
c. 1 to 4 times
d. 0 times

Last edited by MellonC00; 08-25-16 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting test, but IMO it has several flaws. First, I notice you are from California. I don't know if you are from the L.A./SoCal region or not, but that area and the D.C./Baltimore region generally have the worst and most dense traffic in the U.S. (San Francisco ranks way up there, too).....it is usually difficult or impossible to keep the recommend one car length for each 10 MPH of speed, just from the sheer number of vehicles packed on the roads. Second, if you drive moderately in good weather, it is true that ABS or vehicle stability-system will rarely or never be triggered, but driving in winter, on slick surfaces (or even in rain sometimes) might be another matter. Third, on a downhill grade, it certainly helps to downshift (anything that keeps the brakes from overheating is useful), but a number of today's automatic transmissions have "Grade-Logic", which senses the position of the car's nose either up or down, and automatically downshifts a gear or so. Of course, sometimes, more than that is needed, such as on the 3-mile, 10%, descent on U.S. 40 down Mt. Summit into Uniontown, PA (those of you on CL that have driven that hill know how wicked it is). Fourth, on the issue of speed limits, most drivers don't have one steady rule of thumb.....depending on conditions, they may drive over the limit on some roads and at or under the limit on others.
Old 08-25-16, 08:11 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
....it is usually difficult or impossible to keep the recommend one car length for each 10 MPH of speed, just from the sheer number of vehicles packed on the roads....
I MUST comment on this. Having spent the last 10 years teaching my kid show to drive, this old school rule of thumb is WAY out of date and is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. It certainly is what I was taught when I learned to drive some 40 years ago, but it just is NOT SAFE, and you are putting yourself, your vehicle passengers, and the people in front of you at risk if you use the old car length per 10 mph guideline!

The SAFE rule of thumb is 2-3 SECONDS of following distance, and I teach ALL of my kids to use 3 SECONDS. Pick a shadow, stop sign, tree, shrub, hydrant, road marker, etc.... then as soon as the rear of the vehicle in front o you passes it, start counting 0-1-2-3, and if YOU pass that object with the front of your vehicle BEFORE getting to 3 SECONDS, you are following TOO CLOSE.

The above technique allows the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you to expand as you go faster, and you have to take speed into account because it is going to take you the same amount of time to react regardless of your driving speed, and if you're going faster, it's going to take a longer distance to come to a safe stop.

Please read up on this... call your local police station or highway patrol office or driving school if you don't believe me. Keep a SAFE driving distance between you and the vehicle in front of you... and do it for all of your sakes!
Old 08-25-16, 08:17 AM
F250
Lead Lap

I'll bite on this.

[QUOTE=MellonC00;9596581]i read through most of the threads dealing with hybrid driving style and I can't help but wonder if i am an aggressive driver causing bad gas mileage on my car. It seems that I'm normal but everyone on this hybrid forum seems to be on Prozac or super nice Canadian who let you merge in front of them. Please take this quiz. Easy stuff - multiple choice:

1. I drive on: a. Left lane (fastest lane) whenever possible

2. I leave 3 SECONDS xxx car Length between me and the car in front. DO NOT USE CAR LENGTHS... it is NOT SAFE. Read my post immediately before this one!

3. I drive b. 5-10 mph above the speed limit

4. How often do you red-line the tech (I meant FULL power on the ICE)... Rarely

5. On a two lane rush hour situation you encounter one lane with 2 cars in front and the next lane with no car in it. There is a car that is in your rear view mirror approaching. You... A. Take the pole position before another moves in there

6. On a long down hill I tend to...b. Brake intermittently to not burn my pads

7. When I entering a sweeping turn like a highway entrance my coffee in the cup holder A. Sloshes around but does not spill (it DOES have alid anyway, though)

8. When I get cut off without a sorry hand gesture from the driver, I ...a. keep it in the car

9. In the last 500 miles of driving ABS kicked in -- haven't driven that far in the RXh yet, but on my other non-hybrid vehicles, I simply do not get into ABS mode more than once or twice yearly (15-20K miles of driving)
Old 08-25-16, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F250
I MUST comment on this. Having spent the last 10 years teaching my kid show to drive, this old school rule of thumb is WAY out of date and is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. It certainly is what I was taught when I learned to drive some 40 years ago, but it just is NOT SAFE, and you are putting yourself, your vehicle passengers, and the people in front of you at risk if you use the old car length per 10 mph guideline!

The SAFE rule of thumb is 2-3 SECONDS of following distance, and I teach ALL of my kids to use 3 SECONDS. Pick a shadow, stop sign, tree, shrub, hydrant, road marker, etc.... then as soon as the rear of the vehicle in front o you passes it, start counting 0-1-2-3, and if YOU pass that object with the front of your vehicle BEFORE getting to 3 SECONDS, you are following TOO CLOSE.

The above technique allows the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you to expand as you go faster, and you have to take speed into account because it is going to take you the same amount of time to react regardless of your driving speed, and if you're going faster, it's going to take a longer distance to come to a safe stop.
The point I was making (which is correct) is that, regardless of the car-length or three-second rule, it is difficult or impossible to maintain either with the dense traffic conditions on today's roads. Someone will invariably cut in, no matter how much or how little space you leave.

Another point that neither one of us remembered (until now) is that car lengths today, because of downsizing, are not what they were 40 years ago. Today's typical "full-size" car is only slightly longer than compacts were back then.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 08:48 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I drive on:

a 1

3. I drive xxxxx the speed limit
b. 5 mph over

d. Rarely

5. On a two lane rush hour situation you encounter one lane with 2 cars in front and the next lane with no car in it. There is a car that is in your rear view mirror approaching. You...
b. Let the approaching car from the rear take the pole position but move behind it so that you are not number 3 (if its safe)

7. When I entering a sweeping turn like a highway entrance my coffee in the cup holder

d. 0 times

Old 08-25-16, 09:10 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

1. I drive on:

a 1
b. 2

c. 3

3. I drive xxxxx the speed limit

a. 10 mph or more than
b. 5 to 10 mph over

c. At the
d. Under

b. Once per day
c. Once per week
d. Rarely

b. Let the approaching car from the rear take the pole position but move behind it so that you are not number 3
c. Do nothing

c. No lid needed.

a. curse but keep it in the car
c. Do both A and B

a 10 times or more
b. 5 to 9 timrs
c. 1 to 4 times
d. 0 times
Old 08-25-16, 10:09 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting test, but IMO it has several flaws. First, I notice you are from California. I don't know if you are from the L.A./SoCal region or not, but that area and the D.C./Baltimore region generally have the worst and most dense traffic in the U.S. (San Francisco ranks way up there, too).....it is usually difficult or impossible to keep the recommend one car length for each 10 MPH of speed, just from the sheer number of vehicles packed on the roads. Second, if you drive moderately in good weather, it is true that ABS or vehicle stability-system will rarely or never be triggered, but driving in winter, on slick surfaces (or even in rain sometimes) might be another matter. Third, on a downhill grade, it certainly helps to downshift (anything that keeps the brakes from overheating is useful), but a number of today's automatic transmissions have "Grade-Logic", which senses the position of the car's nose either up or down, and automatically downshifts a gear or so. Of course, sometimes, more than that is needed, such as on the 3-mile, 10%, descent on U.S. 40 down Mt. Summit into Uniontown, PA (those of you on CL that have driven that hill know how wicked it is). Fourth, on the issue of speed limits, most drivers don't have one steady rule of thumb.....depending on conditions, they may drive over the limit on some roads and at or under the limit on others.
Yes. it has flaws.

re: space between cars. in busy areas we have no choice but to be a little more aggressive. in places like middletown USA, you can take it easy and be a more courteous driver.

re: ABS kicking in. it's not snowing in North America now. so we are OK. I doubt this thread will last until November or so when it starts snowing in MN. As for the ABS and rain..... we will see how people respond

re: hills. Lexus grade logic sucks. A modest Honda Accord's grade logic in its transmission is better than that of Lexus. I would know. I drove in the hills of San Fran. So I think it's a fair question.

re: speed limit. perhaps the question should say "under ideal conditions." - I will fix it now.
Old 08-25-16, 10:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Interesting quiz. There are more than just Aggressive and Defensive drivers though. I tend to be a defensive passive-aggressive

---

Driving personalities fall into different categories. Below, we've given you a brief synopsis of each category. Which driving personality best applies to you?

Are You a Defensive Driver?

Everyone should aspire to be a defensive driver. Defensive drivers have the strengths of all the other driving personality types, making them the masters of the road. Defensive drivers' key characteristics include:
  • Calm, courteous behaviour
  • Alertness—which means scanning ahead for dangers and watching the surrounding drivers
  • Knowledge of national and local traffic laws and practices
  • Obedience to traffic laws, including wearing a seatbelt
  • Risk avoidance
Defensive drivers don't do anything that will endanger themselves or the people around them. This doesn't mean that they drive passively, though—they just drive responsibly. For example, the typical defensive driver:
  • Makes safe, legal turns and passes
  • Checks blind spots when passing
  • Leaves plenty of room when passing, driving, or stopping behind other cars
  • Drives the speed limit
  • Leaves mobile phones, music players, and other electronics alone
A defensive driver gets where he or she needs to go safely and efficiently—without speeding or using excessive caution. If you fit under this label, good for you! You've put yourself on the fast track to a relatively incident-free driving future.

Are You an Aggressive Driver?

Many (but not all) young people tend to gravitate towards aggressive driving. This means that you like taking risks, getting your way, and not taking any rudeness from other drivers. You like to assert yourself. Typical aggressive drivers also have characteristics like:
  • Risky, frustrated, or even angry behaviour
  • Heightened sense of independence
  • Selective alertness to the drivers causing your frustration
  • Selective obedience to traffic laws, especially concerning speed limits, stop signs, and other traffic signals
Aggressive drivers tend to have less concern for other drivers and more concern for their own peace of mind. If you're an aggressive driver, you'll probably have habits like:
  • Speeding
  • Tailgating
  • Weaving in and out of traffic
  • Honking frequently
  • Yelling or gesturing angrily at drivers who frustrate you
  • Road raging—or doing everything in your power to thwart or anger drivers who frustrate you
If any of these characteristics or habits apply to you, then you might have a bit of a problem. Aggressive driving causes many accidents every year. So, to keep yourself and other drivers safe, make a special effort to keep yourself calm and obey traffic laws. Don't go after drivers who upset you, and drive as safely and responsibly as you possibly can. You can drive with a little fiery boldness, but you shouldn't drive dangerously.

Are You a Passive-Aggressive Driver?

Passive-aggressive drivers have a few characteristics in common with aggressive drivers:
  • They block other drivers from changing lanes.
  • They "covertly" follow other drivers to thwart or frustrate them.
  • They tailgate.
  • They take limited risks.
However, unlike aggressive drivers, passive-aggressive drivers don't want to appear confrontational. They want the rude or unsafe driving to look like karma to the driver who frustrated them. Passive-aggressive drivers don't tend to speed or honk, and they definitely don't gesture at the drivers around them. They simply turn themselves into an innocent-looking obstacle for the driver who upset them.

If this description applies to you, follow the advice detailed in the aggressive driving section. You can assert yourself while driving—just don't drive dangerously, and don't make anyone have to drive aggressively to get away from you.

Are You a Passive Driver?

Passive drivers cause as much frustration as aggressive or passive-aggressive drivers. Their characteristics include:
  • Calm and courteous, but timid and hesitant behaviour
  • Alertness—similar to a defensive driver, but without as much consideration for the concern of others
  • Knowledge of and obedience to national and local traffic laws and practices
  • Extreme risk avoidance
Passive drivers tend to drive safely. However, they also (whether deliberately or inadvertently) turn themselves into obstacles for the drivers around them because of their habits:
  • They drive under the speed limit.
  • They get into turn lanes long before they should.
  • They slow down at turns, stop signs, and stoplights long before they should.
  • They leave unusually large gaps between themselves and other drivers.
Although you'll stay safer if you drive passively as opposed to aggressively, you could still cause a lot of problems. People will have to drive aggressively to get around you—some of them may even road rage if your driving frustrates them. Make a special effort to bolster your confidence and drive the speed limit to avoid these problems.

Are You a Distracted Driver?

A distracted driver can drive aggressively, passive-aggressively, or passively. However, a few habits set them apart:
  • They text or call on their mobile phones while the car is in motion.
  • They put on makeup, finish their hair, or adjust their clothing while they drive.
  • They eat food while they drive.
  • They play with music players or radios while they drive.
  • They pay attention only to the cars immediately around them, not the cars around those cars—after all, they already have divided attention.
  • They may swerve if a car comes into the lane next to them, often when they don't need to serve. They had their attention elsewhere, so the sudden movement makes then react to a potential (but highly unlikely) accident.
Many people drive this way, so don't feel bad if do have any of these habits. Simply make the effort to put all distractions away so you can focus on driving.
Source
Old 08-25-16, 12:40 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

My driving style depends on my mood. On an average day I'll drive with a soft pedal and go no more than 10 mph over the speed limit on the highway, but if it's a sunny Friday or Saturday you bet I've got the windows down, music up, and sport mode activated
Old 08-25-16, 01:31 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Are You a Defensive Driver?

Everyone should aspire to be a defensive driver. Defensive drivers have the strengths of all the other driving personality types, making them the masters of the road. Defensive drivers' key characteristics include:
  • Calm, courteous behaviour
  • Alertness—which means scanning ahead for dangers and watching the surrounding drivers
  • Knowledge of national and local traffic laws and practices
  • Obedience to traffic laws, including wearing a seatbelt
  • Risk avoidance
Defensive drivers don't do anything that will endanger themselves or the people around them. This doesn't mean that they drive passively, though—they just drive responsibly. For example, the typical defensive driver:
  • Makes safe, legal turns and passes
  • Checks blind spots when passing
  • Leaves plenty of room when passing, driving, or stopping behind other cars
  • Drives the speed limit (except this, I drive with traffic which is usually about 5mph over)
  • Leaves mobile phones, music players, and other electronics alone

And occasionally when someone cuts me off in a close call (without signalling or running into my car) then I turn aggressive and honk them and give a dirty look. I may have flip the bird a hand full of times in the last 6 years.
Old 08-25-16, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
My driving style depends on my mood. On an average day I'll drive with a soft pedal and go no more than 10 mph over the speed limit on the highway, but if it's a sunny Friday or Saturday you bet I've got the windows down, music up, and sport mode activated
Most cops, especially State Troopers, won't bother you if you are doing less than 10 MPH over the limit (and most speed cameras are usually set for +10 or 11 over)....but push it much more than that, and you're fair game for tickets.
Old 08-30-16, 02:34 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

1. I drive on:

b. x
c. x

a x
b. 2
c. x
d. x

a. 10 mph or more than
b. x
c. x
d. x

b. x
c. x
d.x

b.x
c. x

b. x
c x

A. x
c. x

a. x
b. x
c. Do both A and B
d. x

a 10 times or more
b. x
c. x
d. x
Old 08-31-16, 06:11 AM
F250
Lead Lap

The point I was making (which is correct) is that, regardless of the car-length or three-second rule, it is difficult or impossible to maintain either with the dense traffic conditions on today's roads. Someone will invariably cut in, no matter how much or how little space you leave.

Another point that neither one of us remembered (until now) is that car lengths today, because of downsizing, are not what they were 40 years ago. Today's typical "full-size" car is only slightly longer than compacts were back then.
I agree completely on both of your points. Dense traffic is going to at least double your travel time if you adhere strictly to either following distance guideline, and I far too easily recall driving the land yachts of yesteryear!
Old 08-31-16, 05:08 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

1. I drive on:

a 1
b. 2
c. 3

a. 10 mph or more than
b. 5 to 10 mph over
c. At the
d. Under

b. Once per day
c. Once per week
d. Rarely

c. Do nothing

c. No lid needed. I do not drink or eat in my ISF.

a. curse but keep it in the car, except my dash cam catches it.
c. Do both A and B

a 10 times or more
b. 5 to 9 timrs
c. 1 to 4 times
d. 0 times