Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2016 Lexus LX 570 Is A Big Lumbering Idiot-Mobile And I Hate It

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-16, 10:37 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Same arguments from the typical fan boys, I can buy X amount of Nissan GTR's for the price of X supercar.

Jalopnik = trashy automotive opinions from people who don't matter (at all).

So this article was very natural and expected.

Old 08-31-16, 12:26 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always a fan of the LX570, until this Gen came out. I kinda agree what he says about it.

but wow, it gets better fuel economy than my M! I thought real world driving is about 11-12 but he managed to do 15+.

My car with 80% highway gets around 12.7 :/
Old 08-31-16, 05:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The "Clarkson effect" is a good term lol
Now all he has to do is punch his boss in the face LOL.

The guy would probably have to save up 3 years of pay to buy one of these too, so I'm sure that pisses him off plenty too lol
Hard to say. Sometimes professional auto reviewers (even if they don't act professional) make pretty good cash. All depends on what the magazine (or organization) can afford to pay.
Old 08-31-16, 06:54 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Hope more and more people hate it and used prices drop when I'm back in the market in 2yrs. Hope more and more people hate the 2014-2015 LS460 as well.
Old 08-31-16, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hard to say. Sometimes professional auto reviewers (even if they don't act professional) make pretty good cash. All depends on what the magazine (or organization) can afford to pay.
This is not MotorTrend, its Jalopnik lol. Its likely not even his real full time job.
Old 08-31-16, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't see most auto reviewers making pretty good cash these days. Anyone can post reviews or make videos these day. There is so much blogger and citizen journalism that professional auto journalism simply cannot pay what it once did. A lot of the citizen journalism is lame and most tend to just run on, and on, and on without even knowing where to stop. Most of the reviewers on these sights like Jalopnik or Autoblog are just a bunch of guys who have extra time on their hand. The big car manufactures must find value in these sites as they supply the vehicle for testing, and they will often fly or bring them out to the launch of a new vehicle in order to provide first drive test results etc etc. And they are all subject to release date embargo.

With this review, it was an entertaining review that has got the attention of some of the members of this forum. The review received 500+ comments on the Jalonik website. I would also bet that Toyota is pleased with the media coverage as somewhere within all the people who viewed this article, there must be a few people who will consider purchasing this vehicle, not because what they read but more so because of the exposure and first time they might of seen the vehicle. The following conclusion by the author pretty much sums up whot Lexus was attempting to appeal to with this re-fresh.

"The only thing I can think of to recommend this car is if you want to convey an air of someone who has so much money, they don’t even give a **** anymore what they spend it on."
Old 08-31-16, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can't see most auto reviewers making pretty good cash these days. Anyone can post reviews or make videos these day. There is so much blogger and citizen journalism that professional auto journalism simply cannot pay what it once did. A lot of the citizen journalism is lame and most tend to just run on, and on, and on without even knowing where to stop. Most of the reviewers on these sights like Jalopnik or Autoblog are just a bunch of guys who have extra time on their hand. The big car manufactures must find value in these sites as they supply the vehicle for testing, and they will often fly or bring them out to the launch of a new vehicle in order to provide first drive test results etc etc. And they are all subject to release date embargo.
This is true, and the circulations of magazines and publications are way down, so these magazines like MotorTrend and Car & Driver aren't nearly as lucrative as they once were, hence nobody gets paid as much.

You'd be surprised what some of these YouTube auto reviewers can make though. They participate in YouTubes advertisement program, and they get paid for every view their videos get viewed because of the advertisements run on them. You can make well into the 6 figures and beyond if you have a really big following. Saabkyle04 (who once was a Lexus owner and CL/LOC member) has nearly 1M subscribers...he's making $$$

Like anything else, the focus has just shifted...the opportunity still exists its just different.
Old 08-31-16, 08:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Am I the only person who likes this thing?

I don't need anything of this size, and if I had one I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, but with money to burn and a trailer to tow, I'd rock it.
Old 08-31-16, 08:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76

I don't need anything of this size, and if I had one I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, but with money to burn and a trailer to tow, I'd rock it.
No I like it. I drove one a couple months ago just for giggles. I wouldn't want to drive it every day because it feels so huge, but for a car to drive on long highway trips and such, it'd be on my list for sure.
Old 08-31-16, 08:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chocolate
This is a body on frame vehicle, so hoping for seats to totally fold flat is unrealistic. I removed the 3rd row seats entirely, easy to do.
Not sure how the reviewer can complain about space. This vehicle has plenty of space inside.
The Sequoia is body on frame and it has fold flat.
Old 08-31-16, 09:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Sequoia is body on frame and it has fold flat.
Same for the full-size GM utes (Tahoe/Yukon and the Suburban Yukon XL). Sure they raised the load floor behind the third row slightly to make it perfectly flat from the tailgate to the back of the driver's seat, but it's still flat and plenty cavernous.
Old 08-31-16, 09:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Hope more and more people hate it and used prices drop when I'm back in the market in 2yrs. Hope more and more people hate the 2014-2015 LS460 as well.
I agree.
Unfortunately/fortunately and historically, the resale value holds like super glue

I love it! I would get one too if I had $$$ to burn.
At least it's not ugly and a behemoth like the excursion
Old 08-31-16, 10:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

I love it! I would get one too if I had $$$ to burn.
At least it's not ugly and a behemoth like the excursion
In southern california, wouldn't it make more sense to burn your $$$$$$$ on something else ?
Old 08-31-16, 10:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Problem is there's several SUV's out there that can do the same thing but better.
Old 08-31-16, 11:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Same for the full-size GM utes (Tahoe/Yukon and the Suburban Yukon XL). Sure they raised the load floor behind the third row slightly to make it perfectly flat from the tailgate to the back of the driver's seat, but it's still flat and plenty cavernous.
I believe the Toyota 4Runner and GX have fold flat as well.

Quick Reply: The 2016 Lexus LX 570 Is A Big Lumbering Idiot-Mobile And I Hate It