Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2016 Lexus LX 570 Is A Big Lumbering Idiot-Mobile And I Hate It

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 09:07 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wrong, the floor was raised significantly... see here:

wrong also, the lx has huge suspension travel range for extreme off road capability, something the sequoia isn't even close to.
I stand corrected. Truthfully, I forgot the GX460 and LX570 have live rear axles, which is the real reason fold flat seats and a low load floor can't coexist. But I really can't support anything related to extreme off road-ability and this particular car; the breakover angle-limiting running boards and pathetic approach and departure angles ensure this thing isn't doing anything remotely extreme unless you feel like banging up body panels.The MotorTrend video was honestly best case scenario.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep......purpose-designed off-roaders have to have large amounts of suspension travel and a high ground clearance. That can dictate a raised rear cargo floor. Also, another factor sometimes not taken into account is that off-roaders are some of the few remaining new vehicles that actually give you a real spare tire and wheel.....and those wheels are sometimes located under the rear bumper, back below the vehicle. There has to be enough room to accommodate them, too.
This is true, but the Land Rover LR4 is how its done right if you're looking for advances off road-ability and 3 rows. The 3rd row seat looks uncomfortable but is actually fine for the 5'7 and under set. The seats fold flat with a low floor because of its high-travel independent suspension which still provides plenty of articulation and ground clearance. And again, it actually has great approach, departure, and breakover angles.

Old 09-03-16, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

If I bought an LX570 I'd never fold the seats so it's not really an issue.
Old 09-04-16, 10:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If I bought an LX570 I'd never fold the seats so it's not really an issue.
Really? With this little of space behind the seats I could see myself doing it often. Actually, for me, I'd almost never fold them down.

Old 09-04-16, 11:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Really? With this little of space behind the seats I could see myself doing it often. Actually, for me, I'd almost never fold them down.

I'd leave the third row folded up but I'd never fold the second row.
Old 09-04-16, 01:12 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can somebody walk me through a scenario when the seat of the LX570 would be folded down, and when it would not?
Old 09-04-16, 02:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Can somebody walk me through a scenario when the seat of the LX570 would be folded down, and when it would not?
Well, you can probably start with that nice easy-chair or love-seat you saw at the yard sale, and thought how nice it would look in your living room.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 02:38 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you can probably start with that nice new easy-chair or love-seat you saw at the yard sale, and thought how nice it would look in your living room.
i wonder if I would be off-roading with 7 in the vehicle.

Old 09-04-16, 03:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The rear third row seats fold flat so they can then fold sideways. It's one of the dumbest set ups ever as you cannot remove the seats. All previous LX models had removable seats.

It really boggles the mind that you cannot order a LC with a third row delete option. You can do this for the 4Runner but not the LX.
Old 09-04-16, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It really boggles the mind that you cannot order a LC with a third row delete option. You can do this for the 4Runner but not the LX.
Thwe only possible reason for that (though I admit it's not a very strong one), is that the LX is significantly wider than a 4Runner, and can fit in more with seats not folded.
Old 09-04-16, 03:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thwe only possible reason for that (though I admit it's not a very strong one), is that the LX is significantly wider than a 4Runner, and can fit in more with seats not folded.
What does that have to do with not offering a third row delete option?

The 4Runner has 7 passenger fold flat or slightly less money for 5 person only. It boggles the mind that Lexus cannot offer this.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-04-16 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What does that have to do with not offering a third row delete option?

The 4Runner has 7 passenger fold flat or slightly less money for 5 person only. It boggles the mind that Lexus cannot offer this.
OK....that's a little different case. I thought you were talking about third-row folding, not delete. Of course, folding also gets the seats out of the way....but, unless they fold down under the floor, it usually takes up more space than a simple deletion.

Another solution, IMO, would simply be to have removable seats, like what used to be found in some minivans until Chrysler came up with the Stow-N-Go system. If you didn't need the seat, you simply took it out and stored it.
Old 09-04-16, 04:34 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
^ I agree with some of what he says. Mainly the body work being gaudy(the previous model without the stupid huge grill looked a lot better) and it screws up the approach/departure angles. Combined with the 21" wheels, it takes a great off road vehicle(the best part about the big Land Cruiser IMO) and makes it useless except for snow covered roads.

Main thing with the gaudy body work, I think this truck was designed to sell in places like Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia, etc. They love tacky and over the top in that part of the world, plus its a Land Cruiser under the skin, which is one of the top selling cars over there, everybody has a Land Cruiser, so you can buy the LX to be different or show up the neighbors.
That "tacky" new design is bringing newer and younger buyers into the brand helping Lexus adapt to the future of luxury car manufacturing and retail.

If Lexus just listened to you, they'd end up like Motorola.
Old 09-04-16, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I personally think the new LX is great looking. Some of the new spindle designs I don't care for, but I think it looks great.
Old 09-04-16, 07:02 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I personally think the new LX is great looking. Some of the new spindle designs I don't care for, but I think it looks great.
For once, I agree with this gentleman
Old 09-04-16, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yakim
For once, I agree with this gentleman
If we can agree surely they can solve the situation in the Middle East

Quick Reply: The 2016 Lexus LX 570 Is A Big Lumbering Idiot-Mobile And I Hate It