Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am late to this discussion
Better late then never.

The trunk openings of cars has been getting smaller.
That's because of the current obsession by automakers with designing sedans basically as 4-door coupes.........low, steeply-raked rooflines that slant back almost to the rear bumper. That doesn't leave much room for the lids themselves.....or for rear-seat passengers.
Old 09-12-16, 11:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Update on my search:

Those look like Honda Accord wheels. With that blue, it is just begging for some gold wheels, make it look like a rally car.
Attached Thumbnails -35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!-wwz4g1p.jpg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-14-16 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 12:24 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like the Subie as well, just wish the interior isn't that plain, but it's overall a very nice/compete vehicle. And it retain value very well.
Old 09-13-16, 01:02 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I would like the Subie as well, just wish the interior isn't that plain, but it's overall a very nice/compete vehicle. And it retain value very well.
Is the retained used value on their sedans as good as their wagons????? Seems like I see 5 or 6 Subie wagons of various sorts for every one sedan. Just seems like the average Subaru buyer is looking for that wagon, not the sedan.
Old 09-13-16, 01:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True true, If I were OP, I would consider wagon as well, same storage as a SUV, handling of a sedan, and to me it even looks cool
Old 09-13-16, 05:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I too would definitely buy the wagon over the Sedan, especially since he was originally looking at SUVs. You get the driving dynamics of a sedan with the cargo capacity of an SUV, win/win.
Old 09-13-16, 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I too would definitely buy the wagon over the Sedan, especially since he was originally looking at SUVs. You get the driving dynamics of a sedan with the cargo capacity of an SUV, win/win.

..................not only that, but, with an Outback over a Legacy, the same AWD system, more ground clearance, and the ability to go through deeper snow. The OP is from NY state...parts of where snow can be a REAL problem.
Old 09-13-16, 08:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

^
Yes the GS is superior car in every way but its about $5-6k more. Also the backseat is smaller but it will be sufficient especially after the rear facing seat is no longer needed. I'm looking for an Fsport too lol. The Base cars can be had for around $32k but Fsport is around $2-3k more on average.

I think the Subaru rides more comfortable though prob bec of softer susp setup and much larger sidewall tires.
I'm casting my vote for the GS as well.

I have two car seats in my GS - one forward and one rear facing. Our family of 4 fits easily and comfortably in it. As for strollers, my single BOB fits, along with an umbrella stroller, or I can fit my double BOB, but only if I take off the wheels first.
Old 09-13-16, 09:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

A used GS would be a more of a car than the others listed. But for new, the Accord is hard to beat. However, I agree it is absolutely ridiculous you still can't get a sunroof, leather, or a nav with the best-looking Sport trim. Honda's practice of stinginess is infuriating and holds the company back from additional sales. I have written to them about this a long time ago, but deaf ears prevail.
Old 09-14-16, 06:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"More of a car" is relative. It's the best car he's listed by far, but the best FAMILY car? I would disagree. When I had mine my wife and I couldn't even get in the front seats with rear facing car seats installed. 4 adults weren't comfortable for more than 2-3 hours. The back of it is just quite tight.
Old 09-14-16, 06:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Looking for some input on the best car to get. This will be our Family car and also primary vehicle for my wife who is new to driving.
This would be in addition to the M3 and BRZ which are not baby friendly.
They had couple other RX350s that were non-Fsport for about $32k with 30-35k miles but also were in rough condition. This is why i hate used cars. lol
just wondering, who is setting the budget for this? you or your wife? you drive an m3 - why not live a little and get her something new and nice!?

Update on my search: I ruled out the Crossovers (CR-V, RAV4, Forester) as the sedans ride much better, have larger back seats and cost less for similar features. Not planning to go off roading.
is this how your wife feels or are you deciding? who will be lifting strollers, babies, bags, etc. in and out of the vehicle day in and day out?

So I think now it between the Legacy or a L-certified 2013-2014 RX or GS350 AWD. The ones in decent shape with ~30k miles are in low to mid $30 range.
What would you guys do?
i would stop being cheap, stop thinking about what i like, and get your wife a brand new RX350 or similar. hell if it seems too expensive, lease one?

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am late to this discussion but once I saw that the OP had decided against SUVs/CUVs, I wanted to comment on something to consider when looking at cars (sedans) rather than station wagons or utility vehicles.

The trunk openings of cars has been getting smaller. I would advise trying to fit your stroller(s) into the trunk opening of any cars that you are looking at. My wife has a current-generation Accord, which has a fair-sized trunk opening. My ES, on the other hand, has a smaller (front-to-back, from base of the rear window to the rear bumper) opening. A stroller (especially one that comes in a combo-pack with an infant carrier) may fit the Accord but not the ES; the Mazda6 and the Ford Fusion trunk openings may be rather small also. I do not know how large or small the trunk opening on the Subaru Legacy is.
"More of a car" is relative. It's the best car he's listed by far, but the best FAMILY car? I would disagree. When I had mine my wife and I couldn't even get in the front seats with rear facing car seats installed. 4 adults weren't comfortable for more than 2-3 hours. The back of it is just quite tight.
good points.
Old 09-14-16, 07:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

It's been a fantastic family car for us, but will depend greatly on how compact the car seats you have are. I have my passenger seat almost all the way back with a rear facing seat behind it, which has enabled us to take long, comfortable road trips in the GS. Though now that we have the Highlander, we usually just take that.

Oh how I can't wait to be done with kids car seats...
Old 09-14-16, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's been a fantastic family car for us, but will depend greatly on how compact the car seats you have are. I have my passenger seat almost all the way back with a rear facing seat behind it, which has enabled us to take long, comfortable road trips in the GS. Though now that we have the Highlander, we usually just take that.

Oh how I can't wait to be done with kids car seats...
We bought the smallest seats we could buy. It also depends a lot on how tall you are. My wife and I are both tall, I'm 6' and she is 5'10, I truly don't see how its possible to have the front seat in the GS "almost all the way back" with a rear facing car seat installed. Its not even possible to do that with a person sitting in the rear seat, let alone a rear facing car seat...
Old 09-14-16, 08:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

We bought the smallest seats we could buy. It also depends a lot on how tall you are. My wife and I are both tall, I'm 6' and she is 5'10, I truly don't see how its possible to have the front seat in the GS "almost all the way back" with a rear facing car seat installed. Its not even possible to do that with a person sitting in the rear seat, let alone a rear facing car seat...
I'm not overly tall, at 5'10", but have long legs (36" inseam). My wife is 5'8". Either of us can ride comfortably in the front seat.

When I have an adult in the rear seat, I have to move the front seat up from where it resides with the car seat in there. With the car seat in place, I have about 4" of rearward travel left.

Bear in mind I am talking about a convertible seat, and not an infant seat. Those suckers are tough. When I had the infant seat in there, the front passenger seat was up about half way.
Old 09-14-16, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True, now that we have convertible seats we no longer have the GS.

I suppose it also depends on how steeply you recline the backrest. Our issue was that we could not get our heads underneath the roof because the seat backs had to be so upright.

I'm 6' but my inseam is only 31", so I have a long torso

Quick Reply: $30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!