Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 09:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
True, now that we have convertible seats we no longer have the GS.

I suppose it also depends on how steeply you recline the backrest. Our issue was that we could not get our heads underneath the roof because the seat backs had to be so upright.

I'm 6' but my inseam is only 31", so I have a long torso
LOL...and me with my short torso, there is no possible way I could manipulate the seat to get my head to ever come close to the roof. Heck, I've never in my life sat in a car where headroom was an issue. Leg room, however...
Old 09-14-16, 09:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yeah it was comical trying to even get in the drivers seat!
Old 09-14-16, 01:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just wondering, who is setting the budget for this? you or your wife? you drive an m3 - why not live a little and get her something new and nice!?

is this how your wife feels or are you deciding? who will be lifting strollers, babies, bags, etc. in and out of the vehicle day in and day out?

i would stop being cheap, stop thinking about what i like, and get your wife a brand new RX350 or similar. hell if it seems too expensive, lease one?

good points.
First of all - how is having a budget of $35k being cheap?????
This is a car that will be driven 5k miles per year at most. As I stated in my original post, my wife is NEW to driving hence why safety is # 1. It makes no sense to lease. Buying a new X5 for $65-70k so it sits outside is not very smart imo. Not to mention insurance will be double. Have you seen what insurance runs on a luxury car in NYC? Lol

My wife knows zero about cars or features, pricing etc.
i have to DRAG her to these dealers Lol. She compares to me going with her to shop for dresses and shoes.
Process has been exhausting for her bec you need to spend 1hr plus at these dealers.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-14-16 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 01:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

The GS I think would work very well and it has sufficient space inside.
Problem has been finding a clean one that has not been abused. We drove
100 miles yesterday to Lex dealer to see perfect GS based on pics and Carfax with 17k miles.
i get there and car looks abused, scratches all over, dents in roof, small scratches in leather, headliner stains.

Wife and I never had used as we are OCD Lol and I have no time to waste driving around finding the perfect car.
The ones in NYC dealers are all beat up as well for the most part. Same goes for RX which I like but my wife does not.
Old 09-14-16, 02:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah it was comical trying to even get in the drivers seat!
I don't want to drag this thread too far off-topic, but, if you wanted to really see something funny, you should have seen me (at 6' 2" and 280) trying to get into a Lotus Elise, back in 2007 when I did a review (in fact, it was the Monday right after I retired, so I was out enjoying my new life). The salesperson (who sells these cars for a living) finally told me to give up......he considered it impossible. Well, after what must have been 20 or 25 minutes of attempting virtually everything humanly possible, I finally proved him wrong.....and was actually able to drive it, clutch and all, with the super-low, non-adjustable steering wheel (getting out was also very difficult, but not as bad as getting in). I didn't have a cell-phone camera in those days, or else I would have made sure someone got that on a video LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-16 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If your wife doesn't care about features and such like that, I would get the new Subaru over a CPO GS. I would really consider a wagon though.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to drag this thread too far off-topic, but, if you wanted to really see something funny, you should have seen me (at 6' 2" and 280) trying to get into a Lotus Elise, back in 2007 when I did a review (in fact, it was the Monday right after I retired, so I was out enjoying my new life). The salesperson (who sells these cars for a living) finally told me to give up......he considered it impossible. Well, after what must have been 20 or 25 minutes of attempting virtually everything humanly possible, I finally proved him wrong.....and was actually able to drive it, clutch and all, with the super-low, non-adjustable steering wheel (getting out was also very difficult, but not as bad as getting in). I didn't have a cell-phone camera in those days, or else I would have made sure someone got that on a video LOL.
Haha, I'm sure it was a show!
Old 09-14-16, 10:17 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

If your wife doesn't care about features and such like that, I would get the new Subaru over a CPO GS. I would really consider a wagon though.
She Definitely cares about features, that is why I would be getting a fully loaded model with all possible features including all the preventive safety stuff.
She just doesn't have the motivation to study that Legacy Limited has HID, keyless start, auto dimming mirrors etc vs a Legacy Premium or Sport model.....You say oh well she can just ask the salesman - well let me tell you most of these ppl are clueless on packages/trims/colors etc, they will sell you whatever they have on the lot at that point in time. Some are very good though.

For example during my Legacy testdrive - I ask the salesman does the side mirror auto tilt down when I go in reverse (this is a common feature in all Bimmers which my wife knows and likes), the guy looked at me like I had 2 heads - he is like why would it do that? lol - I explained how it helps with parallel parking as you can see the curb.

The wagon is too big and ugly in my and her opinion.
Forester, we liked looks/features but we ruled out bec the ride is harsh and can't compete with the Legacy on smoothness and luxury feel.
If it was up to my wife she would be driving a Mini, she likes small cars.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-14-16 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 10:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

sounds like you've got a real challenge there.

if she likes minis how about the clubman or whatever the 'big one' is these days?

my neighbors just bought an 'ultimate' trim hyundai santa fe sport suv (replacing a string of rx's they've had) and it's very nice, especially for the money. all the latest features and gadgets. i haven''t been for a ride in it yet though.
Old 09-15-16, 06:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
She Definitely cares about features, that is why I would be getting a fully loaded model with all possible features including all the preventive safety stuff.
She just doesn't have the motivation to study that Legacy Limited has HID, keyless start, auto dimming mirrors etc vs a Legacy Premium or Sport model.....You say oh well she can just ask the salesman - well let me tell you most of these ppl are clueless on packages/trims/colors etc, they will sell you whatever they have on the lot at that point in time. Some are very good though.

For example during my Legacy testdrive - I ask the salesman does the side mirror auto tilt down when I go in reverse (this is a common feature in all Bimmers which my wife knows and likes), the guy looked at me like I had 2 heads - he is like why would it do that? lol - I explained how it helps with parallel parking as you can see the curb.

The wagon is too big and ugly in my and her opinion.
Forester, we liked looks/features but we ruled out bec the ride is harsh and can't compete with the Legacy on smoothness and luxury feel.
If it was up to my wife she would be driving a Mini, she likes small cars.
The wagon may be bigger, I think personally they're better looking than the sedans because that's kind of what the vehicle was supposed to be, is reverse of a normal sedan, the wagon is designed first and then turned into a sedan (they actually sell more wagons), but since its a family car the hatch will make it a lot more usable for you.

I'm getting mixed messages. On one hand utility is important and it's her car and she doesn't care about cars , etc, and then on the other hand style trumps utility and features are really important...

For a family car that a person is going to drive who doesn't care about cars...I'm not sure why you even would consider a CPO GS...
Old 09-15-16, 07:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

For a family car that a person is going to drive who doesn't care about cars...I'm not sure why you even would consider a CPO GS...
because RNM wants a cool car and not a stodgy subaru wagon...
Old 09-15-16, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I'm getting lol

As someone who bought his wife a minivan...the utility is way more important trust me.
Old 09-15-16, 01:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, in the opening post, he specifically asked, among others, for opinions on the Subaru Forester.

Here are the contenders so far:

5) 2017 Subaru Forester:

If anyone has these vehicles and can share pros and cons, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-15-16, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

As someone who bought his wife a minivan...the utility is way more important trust me.
get whatever makes momma happy!!
Old 09-15-16, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

get whatever makes momma happy!!
And whatever makes life easier!

trying to get strollers into the trunk of a 4GS is not easier lol
Old 09-16-16, 07:21 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure why all the negative comments here but here was the checklist from my original post:
1) AWD
2) Enough space for 2 Child seats and 2 Strollers
3) NAV
4) Safety - has to be safe and have Rearview Camera & Parking Sensors, Blind Spot Monitoring
5) Reliable

Do we want a car that still looks nice in our mind and has all these features? YES why not.
GS was never in my mind bec i thought the rear seat was small. When we test drove the RX, we looked at the GS and we really liked it. The interior is very spacious. Please remember we are using an M3 so GS is much BIGGER!

I don't need a Utility vehicle to transport furniture, go to ski trips etc. Just sufficient space to fit two child seats in the back and a decent trunk.

Anyway the Legacy is what we are getting as it has all the features/needs from my original post. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Quick Reply: $30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!