Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 09:08 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Default $30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!

Looking for some input on the best car to get. This will be our Family car and also primary vehicle for my wife who is new to driving.
This would be in addition to the M3 and BRZ which are not baby friendly.
Here are the requirements:
1) AWD
2) Enough space for 2 Child seats and 2 Strollers
3) NAV
4) Safety - has to be safe and have Rearview Camera & Parking Sensors, Blind Spot Monitoring
5) Reliable

Here are the contenders so far:
1) 2013/2014 CPO BMW X5/X6: + love the design/driving dynamics, - Reliability, high cost
2) 2013/2014 CPO Lexus RX 350: + good package overall, has all features and reliable, - Fsport ones are rare and cost a lot!
3) 2017 Toyota Rav4 SE: + Looks nice inside/out, great room inside, made in Japan!!!!, - interior materials are CHEAP
4) 2017 Subaru Legacy 3.6: + 6cyl Boxer, great interior, sedan, - Looks weird in certain angles, CVT sucks
5) 2017 Subaru Forester: No opinions yet.....
6) 2017 Mazda CX5: + Drives and Looks great, - back seat space is horrible
7) 2017 Honda CR-V: No opinions yet.....except that it looks UGLY

If anyone has these vehicles and can share pros and cons, I would appreciate it.
So far RX is very attractive option.
Old 09-01-16, 09:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The RX and CX5 would get my vote. RX can use regular 87. Similarly to the RX, there are CPO MDX, CPO RDX, and CPO JX35/QX60 that would fit your requirements too.
Old 09-01-16, 09:42 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although many people don't like the mini van image(including my wife at first) it's probably the most practical vehicle to carry a family around and have tons of cargo space while returning decent or good fuel economy. The Sienna is the only van I know of that comes in AWD. If a minivan isn't your thing perhaps a Highlander, 4runner, Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc.
Old 09-01-16, 09:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Go to your Subie dealer and figure out which model you like, personally I like the bigger Outback wagon, hauls more stuff, interior is better appointed. Also like the CPO Lexus RX option. Stay away from the BMW IMO, but if you must buy one with the 6 cylinder engine. The V8 engine has all kinds of problems(BMW issued a recall for that engine, replaced a list of components with "new and improved design" that is over 2 pages long, its also notorious for burning oil)

I'd also recommend a used Tahoe/Yukon if you're looking at safety as a big consideration.

Also not on your list that you should consider is the new Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 09-02-16, 02:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

In your list, I think the RX checks off the most things. You will get the treatment and quality of a Premium brand, which the others lack. Just skip the F-Sport model. There's really nothing that special about it other than some body details. Avoid any German make if reliability is of importance. They all start off reliable, but that quickly drops away once they hit the 4-5 year mark or the warranty expires. Also very expensive to service.
Old 09-02-16, 03:09 AM
1VIPGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In your list, I think the RX checks off the most things. You will get the treatment and quality of a Premium brand, which the others lack. Just skip the F-Sport model. There's really nothing that special about it other than some body details. Avoid any German make if reliability is of importance. They all start off reliable, but that quickly drops away once they hit the 4-5 year mark or the warranty expires. Also very expensive to service.
Well said Mr Fizzboy...
Old 09-02-16, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I agree with most of the previous comments here, although keep in mind that you will probably be stuck with the CVT you dislike in virtually any automatic AWD Subaru product nowadays.

If you are willing to roll the dice a little in the reliability department, I'd also look at a lower-line Jeep Grand Cherokee without many options...Laredo 4X4 models start around 32K. Great interior, smooth refined drivetrain, comfortable, and good road manners. It may take a little searching to find one that will go out the door for 35K or less, though. Reliablity, though, seems to be hit-or-miss with them....though, from the comments of owners in this forum, it improved significantly after 2011.
Old 09-02-16, 07:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

We recently traded in our '13 RX for a Highlander. The RX was not an exciting car to drive, but was a perfect family vehicle. It could easily carry the four of us (2 in car seats) and anything else we needed to bring, including both a single and double BOB stroller, pack'n play, suitcases, and a cooler, among other items. In 30k miles we never had so much as a rattle. My only real complaint was the dated infotainment system, but we managed with it just fine.
Old 09-02-16, 08:03 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a van now...
Old 09-02-16, 09:01 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for suggestions.

Vans and large SUVs are out of consideration, for several reasons.
NYC parking is very tough and your ability to find a spot is that much harder the larger your car.
My wife is not comfortable driving something that is larger than a midsize car/suv.

Also no American brands, Infiniti, or Acura. If I buy CPO I think RX is better package than MDX, RDX, JX etc.

Anyone have a Legacy with the 3.6, planning to test drive this.
RAV4 SE and RX are top 2 choices right now.....unless I can find an X6 that fits my budget.
Planning to visit bunch of dealers tomorrow.
Old 09-02-16, 09:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My parents are on their second RAV4 and love it (theirs is a '13). I'm always impressed with it. It has more room than you would expect, a nice layout, and great features.
Old 09-02-16, 09:19 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is on pretty much any Subaru excluding the BRZ.
Old 09-02-16, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Of the vehicles you've mentioned, I would get the Mazda CX-5. I recently drove all those little Utes looking for my mother, and the CX-5 is a clear winner. Very upscale, spacious but still small and maneuverable.

I'd much rather have a new CX-5 Touring for that money with radar cruise, etc than a used RX350. Maybe...just maybe...than a new one too. Really like it.
Old 09-02-16, 11:20 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big BMW guy but as you already know (an an ///M3) owner these cars are expensive to maintain. My folks have had two E70 X5s, the first one was a reliability nightmare whereas the second one (refreshed model) has had stellar reliability but still costs a lot to upkeep. Personally I'd go for the CPO RX, although there are no bad options there. You don't have to get a fun SUV given how you've got two other drivers' cars for personal use.

Oh and thank goodness you're not considering a mommy mobile, you couldn't pay me to drive one!
Old 09-02-16, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
2013-2015 RX F-Sport had an 8-Speed Auto and vs the standard 6-Speed.

Quick Reply: $30-35K For Family Car - Help me Choose!