Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 bad driving habits that damage your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 08:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
As for using it, there is nothing that states that to park a car properly, you would must use the parking brake.
I have yet to the see in a Toyota manual stating that it is absolutely mandatory for safety reasons etc etc.
My owner's manual for my GS certainly directs you to use the parking brake:

■When parking the vehicle
Before you leave the vehicle, set the parking brake, shift the shift lever to P and
make sure that the vehicle does not move.
Old 09-14-16, 08:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
So you were closer to the Ohio side. I'm from Fayetteville which is about 1.5 hours SE of Charleston on the New River. If you ever get back to WV the New River Gorge is a great place.
We went down via the Ohio route and came back through Kentucky. Ky. seems to be the more scenic route coming from the north. I'll keep New River Gorge in the plan for a future trip. Thanks.
Old 09-14-16, 09:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Interesting, I have not seen that in mine. I am going to give it a look.
Old 09-14-16, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Like JDR said, every owner's manual I've ever had has said to set the parking brake when parking. It's just that most people don't read the manual.
Old 09-14-16, 10:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Failure to use the parking brake is the not the biggest issue with cars. Car manufacturers will design a part (if they have to) so that it will not fail. Its too bad an engineer could not chime in on here.
I am an engineer, though in aerospace, not automotive, so take this for what it's worth.

We design parts not to fail when used and maintained properly. When a customer does not use something properly, there are no guarantees. That said, we do understand that failures happen, so we design back up systems.

In this case, the pawl would be designed to not fail when used as intended, and the parking brake would be the backup system, intended to take over should the pawl fail.

My assessment? Use the parking brake.
I am an engineer also and I agree with what JDR76 said.

Fair enough. I have an engineer in my family in the areospace industry, she has told me in the past that there are certain parts that are designed to never fail. Then there are parts that can fail etc etc. Then there is a varying degree of maintenance depending on circumstances.
Never say never. What we mean when we say that "certain parts that are designed to never fail", it means that it was designed to very likely NOT to fail during the design life of the product (airplanes typically are used for 30 to 40 years). But that does not mean that a part will never fail, before or after the design life of the product -- reliability is expressed as a probability measurement (e.g. likelihood of the part failing in X years is Y%) and you never have 100%.

As for the parking brake, never have I have ever heard of parked vehicle have the park pawl break thus letting the car loose. Perhaps there has been instances of the park wearing but I cannot see a major manufacturer designing a part that could fail while parked. This is why I had said that this article was kind of silly.
Just because you have never heard of a parking pawl fail does not mean that it does not fail. If your habit is to buy only new cars, the probability that the pawl on your car will fail is low; the probability will only increase with the age of the car. But if used as intended (with the parking brake as backup), the probability will remain low for the period that you own the car.
Old 09-14-16, 10:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Just because you have never heard of a parking pawl fail does not mean that it does not fail. If your habit is to buy only new cars, the probability that the pawl on your car will fail is low; the probability will only increase with the age of the car. But if used as intended (with the parking brake as backup), the probability will remain low for the period that you own the car.
Fair enough, however you would think that if this parking pawl failed enough there would be a big safety recall or awareness campaign. I have never seen it happen nor have I heard it happen. This article portrays it like it a huge issue when it is not. My whole things is that once it is in the park mode, manufacturers would have to design in such a way where it cannot just snap or slip out while the car is sitting in park.
Old 09-14-16, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I am an engineer also and I agree with what JDR76 said.
Never say never. What we mean when we say that "certain parts that are designed to never fail", it means that it was designed to very likely NOT to fail during the design life of the product (airplanes typically are used for 30 to 40 years). But that does not mean that a part will never fail, before or after the design life of the product -- reliability is expressed as a probability measurement (e.g. likelihood of the part failing in X years is Y%) and you never have 100%.
So if Toyota designs the pawl to have a 99% success rate, there is no real need to worry about what this article says. IMO
Old 09-14-16, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

i live in FL so parking brake is not really needed. unless i park on someone's steep driveway. then i use it.
Old 09-14-16, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Like JDR said, every owner's manual I've ever had has said to set the parking brake when parking. It's just that most people don't read the manual.
There is one exception....and you will find it in some manuals. If you are parked in deep or wet snow on a fairly level surface, and there is reason to believe that snow/slush or water underneath the car could freeze up overnight (say, from a fast temperature drop), that could (?) freeze the parking-brake cable still, and not allow one to release it. Only then should one consider not using the brake.
Old 09-14-16, 11:28 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This article is just another list to me. I've used the parking brake nearly all of the time before it, and will continue to do so.
Old 09-15-16, 09:44 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the parking brake ALWAYS on a manual transmission car with the car in 1st. In automatics, only time I use it is on a hill.

I remember years ago renting a big box truck from U-Haul, it was a early/mid 90's GMC or Chevy "TopKick", ie their medium duty truck, interior looked like a late 80's/early 90's Chevy truck, same dash and cab. It was an automatic/gas engine combo(mabye a TBI 454 V8???), I remember the guy saying make sure you always set the park brake, because the transmission is screwed up and it will roll in park(probably a broken parking pawl from people putting it in park on a hill without using the parking brake) I was like okay, that's pretty janky, but the whole truck was pretty janky/beat up and had a bunch of miles on it, and it was the only big truck they had. First thing I did was drive the truck out of their lot and parked it on a hill, did just as he said, set the parking brake while in drive, then put it in park.

Took my foot off the brake, son of a ***** it began to roll down the hill. Took it right back and demanded they refund my credit card. Once they did that I cussed them up and down and sideways, man I've never been more pissed off in my life for them renting me something that was so damn dangerous.
Old 09-16-16, 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I use the parking brake ALWAYS on a manual transmission car with the car in 1st. In automatics, only time I use it is on a hill.
You can probably get away with that on a level or slightly-sloped surface, but I wouldn't push my luck.

Also, on a a manual transmission, if you leave it in gear when you park it, that more or less (but not exactly) acts as a transmission lock, and is a back-up to the parking brake.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-16-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-16-16, 06:58 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guilty of one of these with one of my cars, can anyone guess which one ?
Old 09-17-16, 02:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dat dude
I'm guilty of one of these with one of my cars, can anyone guess which one ?
Well, let's see.........you live in Ontario, where it gets pretty cold in the winter. Assuming you don't use an electric plug-in block-heater to keep the oil warm, I'd guess over-revving the engine too quickly when it's cold.
Old 09-17-16, 02:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, let's see.........you live in Ontario, where it gets pretty cold in the winter. Assuming you don't use an electric plug-in block-heater to keep the oil warm, I'd guess over-revving the engine too quickly when it's cold.
unless you're just on some serious next level subtlety and this is sarcasm, i'm going to guess he's talking about not setting the parking brake

Quick Reply: 10 bad driving habits that damage your car