Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 row crossover SUV recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 05:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Hey all, we currently have both MDX and RDX and we are planning to add a additional vehicle.

My wife drives the MDX but it's got 88K miles and we are going to hand that down to our daughter when she gets her license in a few months.

So, my wife will get a new SUV, must be AWD and she doesn't like the smaller mid size ones like the RDX or RAV4 which we just had as a rental.

Usually I would consider getting another MDX but my wife feels that she is not as impressed with the current gen as she was with the previous gen and as a side note, we would save money by stepping down to the non-luxury brands like Honda, Hyundai or Toyota.

I was thinking either Pilot or Santa Fe (when we got the last MDX in 2013 we did look at the Santa Fe and I was impressed but for some reason my wife wanted to stick with the Acura).

We are generally looking at the mid to top of the line.

What's the recommendation from you guys?
It's hard to go wrong with a Pilot or Highlander. My neighbor has a Santa Fe, and it's pretty nice. The Kia Sorrento is essentially similar, but slightly smaller. And the new Mazda CX-9 has a turbo 4 with amazing gas mileage, and gobs of torque. I don't envy your decision; I think you have a lot of test drive miles to log.

Without having driven any of them, I think I'd be between the Mazda and the Hyundai.

Hyundai: A lot of features at a good price. Personally, for me, I'd want a Limited, but that comes with middle row captain's chairs, which takes seating capacity down to 6, which makes little sense to me--you move up in class from a CR-V to a 3 row SUV, and you can only drive around 1 additional person? However, you can get 95% of the features in the next trim level down, so that may not be a big deal.

Mazda: This is a great looking car in pix (I haven't seen one on the road). If you get the Signature, the interior is gorgeous, and is $1000s less than a Pilot Elite or Highlander Limited. Downsides: the other cars have features which are not available on Mazda-- no panoramic roof, no heated steering wheel, no vented front seats, no heated rear seats, more limited driver seat adjustments. However, LED headlights are standard, as is nav and head up display. It's a brand new engine, and for those who are not inclined to buy a car in its first MY, this is probably not the vehicle. Some have written the A/C is weak, but I've seen others who challenge this. It has less power than competitors which mostly are V6s, but reviews confirm power is plenty adequate, and using 93 octane boosts the HP rating from 227 to 250. Most reviews say the interior of the Signature is more closely compared to an MDX than a Pilot.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mazda CX-9 is slightly more driver-oriented then the other Japanese models, and the point about the I4 turbo is well-taken (I'm not sure that's the engine I'd want, either). Consumer Reports, though ranking the CX-9 average overall in reliability, does note some drive-line problems with previous ones.
You can't really use the CR reviews for the new CX-9. The 1st generation drivetrain was Ford based, and there were known transfer case issues. The new CX-9 is all Mazda, with no carry-over Ford components.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-15-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 05:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked
4 year 50k miles basic warranty.

The interior fit and finish, basic standard functions, engine output and brand prestige trumps any Toyota or Honda. Buy extra warranty for $3k for 7 yr 100k if want to keep the vehicle
To me, I don't care if a car that is less reliable comes with a longer warranty. I'd rather have 3 trouble free years, than 4 or 5 where I get to know my service advisor intimately, even if every one of those trips is covered. It's a hassle, at best.

a LR Discovery base with 3rd row seating has msrp right under 40000
This car has had reviews which are mediocre, at best. Doesn't sound like that is what the OP is really in the market for. Frankly, I'd rather have a loaded Highlander or Pilot than a stripped down Land Rover any day. YMMV.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-15-16 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 05:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You can't really use the CR reviews for the new CX-9. The 1st generation drivetrain was Ford based, and there were known transfer case issues. The new CX-9 is all Mazda, with no carry-over Ford components.
Fair enough. I knew that there was a new CX-9, but wasn't aware that they had redesigned that many components in it.
Old 09-15-16, 06:01 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

To me, I don't care if a car that is less reliable comes with a longer warranty. I'd rather have 3 trouble free years, than 4 or 5 where I get to know my service advisor intimately, even if every one of those trips is covered. It's a hassle, at best.

This car has had reviews which are mediocre, at best. Doesn't sound like that is what the OP is really in the market for. Frankly, I'd rather have a loaded Highlander or Pilot than a stripped down Land Rover any day. YMMV.
expected response from a Lexus owner and on clublexus

my recommendation is in case the op doesn't want a typical run of the mill Japanese. The rover might not be the most reliable but you can't argue the base trim doesn't match or exceed the top trim Highlander, Pilot and any Hyundai suv
Old 09-16-16, 05:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

expected response from a Lexus owner and on clublexus

my recommendation is in case the op doesn't want a typical run of the mill Japanese. The rover might not be the most reliable but you can't argue the base trim doesn't match or exceed the top trim Highlander, Pilot and any Hyundai suv
Well, since the LR Discovery doesn't even debut until 9/28, I can't really speak to that:

http://www.landroverusa.com/our-stor...discovery.html

Will the LR have higher quality materials? No doubt. Will they nickel and dime you for features that would be expected to be standard on a luxury vehicle? I'm not sure--clearly that's what the Germans do, but I haven't followed LR's pricing model, so I can't say for sure. $40,000 base? When the 2.0T LR Discovery Sport 2-row vehicle starts at just under $38,000 (no HIDs, no sunroof, no heated seats, no passive entry, no HomeLink, no auto dimming mirror) ? If you say so.

And if you have contempt for Clublexus, why are you here for 10 years?
Old 09-16-16, 08:38 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Well, since the LR Discovery doesn't even debut until 9/28, I can't really speak to that:

http://www.landroverusa.com/our-stor...discovery.html

Will the LR have higher quality materials? No doubt. Will they nickel and dime you for features that would be expected to be standard on a luxury vehicle? I'm not sure--clearly that's what the Germans do, but I haven't followed LR's pricing model, so I can't say for sure. $40,000 base? When the 2.0T LR Discovery Sport 2-row vehicle starts at just under $38,000 (no HIDs, no sunroof, no heated seats, no passive entry, no HomeLink, no auto dimming mirror) ? If you say so.

And if you have contempt for Clublexus, why are you here for 10 years?
Uh there are over 2700 new units for sale currently. Do some research before commenting maybe
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?zc=90210&rd=99999&stkTypId=28880&mdId=58230&mkId=20024&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=location&sf2Dir=ASC&page=1&perPage=50&sortFeatures=buryUsedLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryNewLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryLowPriceOlderThanSix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=SORT
Lexus and other manufactures doesn't nickel and dime you? My new Rcf has a base sticker of $63k and you cannot find a new one without $8-9 grand of options.

Look, I get it, you are a Lexus and Japanese built car fanboy. I'm too to some degree, but there are other manufacture brands out there for a different buyer for their need and want

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-07-16 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-16-16, 09:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Uh there are over 2700 new units for sale currently. Do some research before commenting maybe
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?zc=90210&rd=99999&stkTypId=28880&mdId=58230&mkId=20024&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=location&sf2Dir=ASC&page=1&perPage=50&sortFeatures=buryUsedLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryNewLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryLowPriceOlderThanSix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=SORT
Lexus and other manufactures doesn't nickel and dime you? My new Rcf has a base sticker of $63k and you cannot find a new one without $8-9 grand of options.

Look, I get it, you are a Lexus and Japanese built car fanboy. I'm too to some degree, but there are other manufacture brands out there for a different buyer for their need and want
You might want to try (1) clicking on your own link, and (2) reading the specific request for advice posted by the OP.

You have a $70K Lexus and 2 prior Lexus vehicles, and I have own no Lexus (and have only had 1), and you appear to have never owned a non-Japanese vehicle, but I'm the "fanboy"? Okay. Have a nice day.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-07-16 at 11:54 AM. Reason: correct quoted
Old 09-16-16, 09:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...rchSource=SORT

Look, I get it, you are a Lexus and Jap fanboy. I'm too to some degree, but there are other manufacture brands out there for a different buyer for their need and want
You need to do YOUR research. The new Discovery is NOT on sale yet, and most definitely won't start UNDER $40K. You're seeing the Discovery SPORT, a much smaller/lower priced vehicle that has a marginal 3rd row.
Old 09-16-16, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I've seen and sat in the LR Discovery Sport and found it wholly unimpressive. I'd truly rather have a loaded up Highlander or Pilot or Explorer, etc. The interior feels cheap and unadorned, I don't like the styling of the vehicle. Just never a vehicle I would purchase.

As others have mentioned, the replacement for the LR4 is the Discovery, and it is not yet available and will not be under $40k.

In a 3 row if you really aren't worried about space in the third row I would look at an Explorer actually. The new Platinum trim is really nice, but even the Limited is very nice. That would probably be my pick.

I like the new Pilot but I hate their pushbutton gearshift setup.
Old 09-16-16, 10:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
You need to do YOUR research. The new Discovery is NOT on sale yet, and most definitely won't start UNDER $40K. You're seeing the Discovery SPORT, a much smaller/lower priced vehicle that has a marginal 3rd row.
....which has received horrible reviews...
Old 09-16-16, 10:29 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New CX-9 seems like a nice car. The Santa Fe and Pilot are solid too.

I know you want a bigger car OP, but if you really don't see the 3rd row being used at all I'd recommend the Q5 or X3.
Old 09-16-16, 01:29 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
the discovery sport is what I meant. A buyer can totally special order it and get it under 40k, technically speaking. The op wants a cuv, just offering other options.
Old 09-16-16, 01:38 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

You might want to try (1) clicking on your own link, and (2) reading the specific request for advice posted by the OP.

You have a $70K Lexus and 2 prior Lexus vehicles, and I have own no Lexus (and have only had 1), and you appear to have never owned a non-Japanese vehicle, but I'm the "fanboy"? Okay. Have a nice day.
fanboy exactly. I only owned Japanese and I am open to other brands bc I see the crappy interior on every single economy non luxury brand. Only a fanboy is close minded, you remind me of Bmw owners. The only thing they, Jap, can show for is the engine, rest is all plastic interior which rattles non stop. That's why for the price criteria, I recommended the Discovery sport. I test drove it and am very satisfied with the interior fit and finish, except the lack of power. The reason why I purchased the rcf is bc at a steep discount, originally plan was the m4
Old 09-17-16, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Hey all, we currently have both MDX and RDX and we are planning to add a additional vehicle.

My wife drives the MDX but it's got 88K miles and we are going to hand that down to our daughter when she gets her license in a few months.

So, my wife will get a new SUV, must be AWD and she doesn't like the smaller mid size ones like the RDX or RAV4 which we just had as a rental.

What's the recommendation from you guys?
Back on topic, just out of curiosity, since you are giving the MDX to your daughter (and, again, congratulations on her getting her license) , what do you plan to do with the RDX....keep it and drive it yourself?

Also, here's some info from the Maryland DMV on family-transfers that you might find useful when that time comes:

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mv.../27300-38T.htm
Old 09-17-16, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

i've deleted all the bickering.

ssmoked - we don't tolerate ethnic name calling, even if you are japanese, so it ends as of now. if you have anything to say about this, please pm a moderator (doesn't have to be me).
everyone - if you see behavior you don't think is appropriate, please use the report post button (triangular icon, red border) to let moderators know and we'll review it and take action if necessary. thank you.

Quick Reply: 3 row crossover SUV recomendations?