Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3 row crossover SUV recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 06:20 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Back on topic, just out of curiosity, since you are giving the MDX to your daughter (and, again, congratulations on her getting her license) , what do you plan to do with the RDX....
We have 2 kids, older is driving the RDX younger will be driving the MDX and myself I'm driving the old Legacy.

funny enough I like having the older car as it's simple less techno wizardry. I'm more connected to the driving and the world around me. Plus it's cheap and economical. Maybe 2-3 years I'll be on deck to buy a new car or I'll just take over the MDX as I like the idea of getting a lot of use out of my cars.
Old 10-07-16, 07:58 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I'll let the cat out of the bag and tell you what we ended up buying. We didn't get the better car IMO but price considered we got the better value car.

we drove the Pilot which I liked except for the lack of real buttons of the dash and we didn't care for push button gear selection, the Pilot was nice driving but the dealer said they were in short supply so not much discounts. The few they did have were tarted up with running boards and pinstripes and whatever else crap they could think of to inflate the price. I know we could have looked around for a better selection but my wife thought the Pilot looked too much like a minivan. I thought it was fine, but s is my wife's car so I wasn't about to argue.

next we drove the Santa Fe which she liked, top of the line with all the bells and whistles just a bit over $40k and she particularly likes the Apple play and the infotanment system and the regular gear shift. i thought it was not as refined as the Pilot but within the ballpark. Slightly smaller inside and out but a good size. We liked the panomoric sunroof also.

last we wanted to check out the new MDX which we drove the top of the line Advance. Some features like front rear proximity sensors are only on the top Advance trim level. The MDX liKe the Pilot has the push button gear selector and no buttons on the dash and no Apple play, the interior of the top of the line had awesome leather and bucket seats in the rear with center console which I liked a lot. The engine and tranny were nice and the awd system was better than the Santa Fe but to get the same features as the Santa Fe was going to be mid-high $50s

at at the end of the day we got the Santa Fe for around $40,500 with 0% finance so overall the MDX would have been $17-18k more with interest on the loan. I know we could have got a mid level MDX for a good deal less but my wife wanted all the electronic features especially Apple play which is not on the MDX.

Overall the Santa Fe is nice, not the best, but my wife does not really care about the actual driving feel and is more into the features which the Santa Fe matches Acura or Honda for a lower price.

What I really do like is the headlights with auto high beam dimming and active cornering lights.

I don't say the Santa Fe is better than the MDX but we didn't like the Acura infotainment and also it's premium fuel requirements and push button gear shift (can't understand why auto makers want to reinvent the wheel. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And Acura/Honda needs to get on Apple play and improve their infotanment systems big time.

Last edited by rai; 10-07-16 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-07-16, 08:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

The Santa Fe is a solid choice. Congrats!
Old 10-07-16, 08:36 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats, the refreshed Santa Fe is really sharp! I think it represents a great value, and like you said, still playing their card of lots of features and premium type content like the panoramic sunroof etc, while keeping a fairly standard user interface for all of their controls.
Old 10-07-16, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Yeah I too like the Santa Fe and think its a great value
Old 10-07-16, 09:22 AM
rai
Lead Lap

I didn't pay a lot less for the RDX a couple years ago and while the RDX is nice, it has a fraction of the features and the Santa Fe interior quality is just as good as the RDX. The MDX especially with Advance package really has nice leather and executive type rear seats with real wood is a step above the Hyundai but the plastic wood in the Santa Fe is real nice and the leather is fine. I think the seats lack cushion IMO but otherwise it's nicely appointed and lots of USB ports and such that we can use.

Last edited by rai; 10-07-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-07-16, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

even though there are fancier vehicles out there (typically for a load more money), there's a reason the santa fe is doing so well. congrats rai.

my neighbors, who have had one lexus rx after another for over a decade, decided this time around they (she) couldn't stomach the front of the new one, so they got a santa fe sport ultimate (because hubby likes all the gadgets). they're thrilled with it.
Old 10-07-16, 09:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
What about Qx60 and LR4 or Discovery
If you don' t care about reliability issues. Also on Nissan, do you like CVT? Land rover vehicles are all good off roaders, so ground clearance is high. My wife's reason not liking the Range Rover Sports. She has hard time climbing into the car.
Old 10-07-16, 09:26 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
4 year 50k miles basic warranty.

The interior fit and finish, basic standard functions, engine output and brand prestige trumps any Toyota or Honda. Buy extra warranty for $3k for 7 yr 100k if want to keep the vehicle
Warranty aside I wouldn't like car spending time at dealership so often for little things over and over nothing to do with power train. When I was young British car with a Lucas electrical system told me never buy another British made car. Now getting old on the wrong side of 70, my No. 1 priority when picking a car is good track record of reliability.
Old 10-08-16, 01:44 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the Santa Fe. That 30-50k SUV market is pretty damn saturated with a lot of good choices. IMO if I wanted a 2 row SUV it would be the Jeep Grand Cherokee without a doubt. 3 row SUV, it would be between a Toyota Highlander, or a lower trim line Chevy Suburban if I needed a ton of space.
Old 10-08-16, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Congatulations. The regular Santa Fe seems to be a much nicer vehicle than the smaller, less-expensive Santa Fe Sport. I did a review on the Sport a couple of years ago and found it well-built but firm-riding and relatively unrefined. Also, of course, it lacked the 3rd-row seat you wanted.

You'll like that long 10/100 powertrain and 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty. The warranty is transferable, but only to members of your immediate family, if you want to give it to your daughter later on.

And good luck on her driving lessons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-08-16, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Warranty aside I wouldn't like car spending time at dealership so often for little things over and over nothing to do with power train. When I was young British car with a Lucas electrical system told me never buy another British made car. Now getting old on the wrong side of 70, my No. 1 priority when picking a car is good track record of reliability.
respectfully, that was a VERY long time ago and range rovers today have nothing in common with the past. india has had the last laugh over britain with tata motors buying both jaguar and land rover.
range rover is well respected worldwide and their sales are doing great. i'd love to own a range rover. my brothers have them (old and new) and have had no issues.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congatulations. The regular Santa Fe seems to be a much nicer vehicle than the smaller, less-expensive Santa Fe Sport.
not doubting you but how is it 'much nicer' besides being bigger?
Old 10-08-16, 11:24 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
respectfully, that was a VERY long time ago and range rovers today have nothing in common with the past. india has had the last laugh over britain with tata motors buying both jaguar and land rover.
range rover is well respected worldwide and their sales are doing great. i'd love to own a range rover. my brothers have them (old and new) and have had no issues.

not doubting you but how is it 'much nicer' besides being bigger?
Congrats on the OPs purchase.

In regards to the Discovery Sport, ehh it depends. The overall brand reliability has improved, but issues still persist. FWIW the Range Rover line is now poised as the Luxury division of LR and the Discovery line is poised as the "adventure seeker lower tier luxury" brand. The discovery sport is the first out of the gate with this brand direction, but the size, powertrain, infotainment, and overall lack of material engineering quality inside is what kind of is either a huge hit or a huge miss. Its a good replacement for LR2 owners I assume looking for something new and in a pinch a 3rd row, but cannot really be the prime choice over say a highlander or pilot.
Old 10-08-16, 12:23 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Thanks,

My wife is away and I been driving the Santa Fe and I Have a ton of time on the 2014 MDX.

By far the MDX is horrible in the infotainment department. The 2014 MDX has two LCD screens and yet you can't look at both the radio (song information) and the nav map at the same time. Santa Fe has one display and it will show you all that information at the same time. Literally on the MDX if you want to see what song is playing you have to hit two buttons and it takes you to the map screen to show you.

WHAT THE HECK. Plus the MDX touchscreen it slow as cow poop.

I don't know about the 2017 MDX as far as the infotainment but it did away with all the real buttons. I can't see that as a step forward.

One feature I like (would be on either top of the line MDX or Santa Fe) is the stop hold feature whatever they call it. If you have it engaged and you take your foot off the brake it will stay in place. Before I used to have to put the car in park if I was at a drive thru or in traffic. This is much nicer. Just step on the gas and it will disengage and you can go.
Old 10-08-16, 12:44 PM
rai
Lead Lap

As for driving. This is me (as a driving/car enthusiast) I believe the MDX is better. I think it's more sporty and with the 9-speed transmission might be quicker and might be more refined overall. I drove the 2014 MDX a lot and it feels more tight to the pavement (It's wider) the Santa Fe seems more tippy as if it was on tip toes. Like if I'm attacking the onramp it seems like it will fly off the road (not literally but like you can't push it) the MDX is more planted.

If it was me and my car, I may have got the top of the line MDX due to nicer interior nicer leather more comfortable seats, and nicer ride and I think it's got better blind spot and mirror placement.

**except** I dislike the Acura infotainment (2014) if it's as bad in the 2017 shame on Acura. I think for $50K+ Honda should be able to be as good as any in infotainment. This is nigh on 10+ years that these features have been widespread even down to economy cars. So a company like Honda should be able to make something easy to use without lag and such and ApplePlay should be optional. I mean iPhones are as common as all get out and to just ignore entirely this feature is dumb.

Last edited by rai; 10-08-16 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 3 row crossover SUV recomendations?