Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts about tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

25 years ago is a long time, technology and manufacturing have come a long way since then...
Old 09-22-16, 07:13 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with everyone who said Michelin. I first traded the runflats on my '03 SC430 for Michelin Pilot Sports. Made a world of difference in comfort and handling. Later, I traded the Dunlops on my '13 GS F Sport for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. World of difference in comfort and handling. I got nails in the tires of my '15 S5 and, because I went to a Goodyear store, they replaced them with Bridgestone Potenzas. They felt more hard and bumpy to me, even after checking the air pressure. I would go Michelin all over again. I have Hankooks on my new A4 and they certainly ride nice and seem to handle well, but I would still replace them with Michelins when the time is right.
Old 09-27-16, 07:01 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I have worked at 5 different tire stores & bought several different brands of tires. 25 years ago I stopped experimenting, when my cars need tires I buy Michelin, I never have a problem. If a good tire allows you to stop 10 feet shorter than a cheaper or poorly maintained tire to avoid a accident, it has more than paid for itself. I belive Bridgestone is 2nd best brand overall.
I hope your belief about Bridgestones is true because the Ecopias are what came factory on my 4RX. So far, I really like their smoothness and quietness. Grip and wet performance remain to be seen when the rain comes here-I haven't had rain yet since I bought the RX in April. I am not thrilled about the tread-not meaty enough in my opinion. I am so used to Michelin mighty-meaty tires. I swear by the Michelin as my tire. I have a set now on my other vehicle-my 2001 Tacoma. The Michelin Xs. The tread is so deep you get rocks not pebbles caught up in them In heavy heavy rain you just slice right through freeway cross streams like butter and not a hint of float. I like that. When I first bought that truck new in 2001, I almost lost it on a cross stream because the OE tires were BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As. Knobbies. Knobbies are for dirt.
So come new tire time with the 4RX, it will be Michelins FTW.
Old 09-28-16, 05:33 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
25 years ago is a long time, technology and manufacturing have come a long way since then...
On the latest Car and Driver Lightning Lap 2016 article, there was an interesting blurb about Michelin's dominance on the track at VIR for the past decade that this annual event has taken place. They go into detail on how advanced these tires are becoming and that "Michelin’s mathematical model of a single tire, or the computer file that fully encapsulates the tire’s design and performance, is comparable to the size of a mathematical model for an entire car.":

Originally Posted by Car and Driver

The Rise of the Super Street Tire

The leap that street tires have made in performance since we started Lightning Lap is staggering. At the inaugural event in 2006, the hottest tire was the Dodge Viper SRT10’s Michelin Pilot Sport, which hung on in Turn 1 at 1.01 g’s. Last year, the Chevy Corvette Z06’s Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZPs pulled 1.20 g’s in the same corner. Michelin has been at the tip of the perform*ance spear for the last decade.

According to Lee Willard, the tire designer responsible for the Corvette’s Pilot Super Sports and Pilot Sport Cup 2s, Michelin has broken traditional tire compromises, such as the head-butting between wet and dry grip, with the use of advanced computer modeling. How advanced? Michelin’s mathematical model of a single tire, or the computer file that fully encapsulates the tire’s design and performance, is comparable to the size of a mathematical model for an entire car. Changing even a single filament in a cord—say, from high-strength steel to aramid, the stuff bulletproof vests are woven from—or even changing the cord’s relative angle or weave results in a virtual tidal wave of other tiny changes no human could ever predict or compute. Running a computer simulation on four tires, a process that took months in the 1990s, now takes an hour, allowing engineers more time to fine-tune the final product. Willard also points out that the highest-perform*ance street tires are no longer peaky—i.e., *dangerously losing traction midcorner. If this pace continues, street tires will soon have more grip than the 1.28 g’s generated by the Yokohama slicks fitted on the Lexus proto-racer.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...at-vir-feature