Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst Lexus ever made?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 08:00 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Worst Lexus ever made?

Browsing through some old videos last night, chanced upon Top Gear's assessment that the SC430 was the "Worst car in the world" =)
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/t...lds-worst-car/

Got me thinking; what do you think is the worst Lexus ever made?
Old 09-21-16, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Not the worst Lexus ever made. But if you compare the SC430 to what the competition had at the time, its easy to see why a lot of people do not like it. I always thought it had a superb interior but the rear seats are stupid. They should of made it a 2-seater
Old 09-21-16, 08:14 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If that's Lexus' worst, then Lexus has nothing to worry about.

P.S. Old video. I think the HS250h was the least Lexus-oriented product. It was a half-hearted effort from ToMoCo, at best, to offer an affordable hybrid sedan alongside the RX, GS, and LS hybrids.
Old 09-21-16, 08:16 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I could never understand the CT200h...tried to do a lot of things and didn't get many of them right... obviously just my 2 cents.
Old 09-21-16, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Got me thinking; what do you think is the worst Lexus ever made?
Depends on what you mean by "Worst".

Worst Road Manners...the CT200h. Stiff-riding, uncomfortable, and unrefined by Lexus standards.

Worst Value for the Money....probably the 3Gen IS350. Overall build quality and cheapness of parts/materials not up to previous IS standards.

Most Disappointing (IMO)...the NX. Not enough sound insulation, suspension too stiff, and the RX simply blows it away on road manners...albeit at a somewhat higher price.

Biggest Design Goof.....The 1Gen (2008) IS-F had a suspension that was far too stiff for anything but a glass-smooth road. Lexus recognized the error and softened it up a little for the very next model year.

Worst Interior Feature.....the mouse-controllers on the console. They make your finger (and the cursor) jump all over the place when you are trying to adjust them on a bumpy road.

Worst Eyesore? Styling, of course, is subjective, but, IMO......the big spindle-grilles.

Most Useless Back Seat?............without question, the 2Gen SC430.

Most Unreliable?.......The models with the 3.0L V6's sludge/gel problems......especially if you delayed a little changing the oil.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-21-16 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Worst Road Manners...the CT200h. Stiff-riding, uncomfortable, and unrefined by Lexus standards.

Worst Value for the Money....probably the 3Gen IS350. Overall build quality and cheapness of parts/materials not up to previous IS standards.

Most Disappointing (IMO)...the NX. Not enough sound insulation, suspension too stiff, and the RX simply blows it away on road manners...albeit at a somewhat higher price.

Biggest Design Goof.....The 1Gen (2008) IS-F had a suspension that was far too stiff for anything but a glass-smooth road. Lexus recognized the error and softened it up a little for the very next model year.

Worst Interior Feature.....the mouse-controllers on the console. They make your finger (and the cursor) jump all over the place when you are trying to adjust them on a bumpy road.

Worst Eyesore? Styling, of course, is subjective, but, IMO......the big spindle-grilles.

Most Unreliable?.......The models with the 3.0L V6's sludge/gel problems......especially if you delayed a little changing the oil.
A little bit harsh
Old 09-21-16, 08:49 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned five Lexus before, I know CT 200H is definitely the worst Lexus, then followed by ES350.
Old 09-21-16, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A little bit harsh
Just trying to be realistic. The category of "Worst" is a vague term can cover many different things, depending on interpretation.

There are MANY different good things that Lexus has done, too.....but that is the subject for another thread, not this one.
Old 09-21-16, 09:12 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SC was crap relative to the competition but it was still a real "Lexus," in that it had a luxurious interior and comfortable ride. In my opinion the worst Lexus was the 1st generation IS. The exterior was fine, but the interior was a complete abhorrent joke. I can't believe the execs were OK with an interior like that in a car bearing their badge.

Old 09-21-16, 09:15 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3rd gen IS is probably the best of all IS' in terms of build quality. Don't even get me started on the 1st gen, and as an owner of the 2nd gen I can tell you that while material quality was average the fit and finish is pretty poor for its class. The panel gaps between the dash and air vents, for example, in every single model is just inexcusable. Anyhow, I agree that the interior of the 3rd gen IS does not hold a candle to the competition. Too much plastic, too little wood, and too much of a "boy racer" appearance that screams "Subaru" and not "I'm going to outgun BMW and Audi."
Old 09-21-16, 09:17 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't HS the worst? Hell it didn't even sell much.
Old 09-21-16, 09:32 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

Reading over this thread I see why I keep going back to Lexus. It's good to see that when choosing the 'worst' Lexus ever made not much said about reliability, except for the 1 V6 engine. Pick another brand and we'd be talking transmission failures and replacements, seizing engines, multiple electronics issues, etc.
Old 09-21-16, 10:16 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "Worst". .
I would read that and say - One that you believe should not carry the Lexus badge on it.
Old 09-21-16, 10:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The SC was crap relative to the competition but it was still a real "Lexus," in that it had a luxurious interior and comfortable ride. In my opinion the worst Lexus was the 1st generation IS. The exterior was fine, but the interior was a complete abhorrent joke. I can't believe the execs were OK with an interior like that in a car bearing their badge.
The argument on the first gen IS is going to go nowhere. It was a nice car for those who got it and it was a different time for Toyota and their Lexus brand.

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The 3rd gen IS is probably the best of all IS' in terms of build quality. Don't even get me started on the 1st gen, and as an owner of the 2nd gen I can tell you that while material quality was average the fit and finish is pretty poor for its class. The panel gaps between the dash and air vents, for example, in every single model is just inexcusable. Anyhow, I agree that the interior of the 3rd gen IS does not hold a candle to the competition. Too much plastic, too little wood, and too much of a "boy racer" appearance that screams "Subaru" and not "I'm going to outgun BMW and Audi."
The second gen IS was by far a better car in every way than the first gen IS. The new IS is the most stylish and makes the biggest impact on how people perceive your car
Old 09-21-16, 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I've owned 6, and have driven basically all of them. My least favorite Lexus is the CT200h, unrefined, poor interior quality, loud. HS is a close second.

Originally Posted by sears1234
I have owned five Lexus before, I know CT 200H is definitely the worst Lexus, then followed by ES350.
Hard to make a case that the ES350 is the second worst Lexus when it's the second highest selling. I've had 3 LS sedans, a GS and two ES sedans. The ES isn't as refined or solid as the higher end cars, but it's a very nice, quiet, refined well made car that's a good value. That's why they sell so many.

Quick Reply: Worst Lexus ever made?