Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Chevy Equinox

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 09:02 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Who would actually buy an Equinox SS? The average FWD/AWD CUV-buyer doesn't get one to go canyon-carving or drag-racing in.

And, FYI, the current Chevy SS is not an Impala, which is a FWD product. The current SS is a RWD high-performance sedan based on an Australian-Holden design. Holden designs, BTW, also formed the basis for the former RWD 2004-2007 Pontiac GTO and later G8....the current Chevy SS is basically what the next-generation of those cars would have become had they stayed in production and/or Pontiac not gone out of business.
The same person that buys and Edge Sport
Old 09-28-16, 10:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

GM, if you remember, also tried the high-performance Typhoon, based on the Jimmy SUV, and Syclone, based on the S-10 pickup......both were sales-flops, even at a time when SUV sales were starting to pick up.

Those were both stupid expensive back in the day, especially the Typhoon pickup truck when you compared it to even a well equipped Sonoma. Chevy did a lot better selling the Trailblazer SS, which was much more competitively priced and had what the Chevy guys want, a honking V8 with RWD, AWD optional. An Equinox SS, that isn't going to sell to that Bow-Tie enthusiast crowd, no V8=no sales when it comes to Chevy performance cars IMO. The Cobalt SS never really caught on as an example, despite the turbocharged model being one hell of a performer.
Old 09-29-16, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I understand what you are saying, Hoovey, but, as I see it, you can't really compare a Durango to an Equinox.....it is a different class of SUV. So is the Trailblazer, for that matter. What works for them, I just don't see working with an Equinox. Yes, it's true that those other vehicles all had SS badges (and, while you're at it, don't forget the old Nova and El Camino SS) ...but, again, that was long ago, they weren't SUVs, and it was in a different market for Chevy, where SUVs and CUVs didn't have the huge share of buyers they do today.

GM, if you remember, also tried the high-performance Typhoon, based on the Jimmy SUV, and Syclone, based on the S-10 pickup......both were sales-flops, even at a time when SUV sales were starting to pick up.
I didn't compare them. The comment merely highlights that there are 'performance' SUVs. The poster was merely wondering if a dedicated sport trim would come to the Equinox. As it stands I agree there won't be one. We could see a revised Typhoon or Syclone in a few years if Ford's brings the Bronco to fruition again. It would likely be EcoBoosted.
Old 09-29-16, 01:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Those were both stupid expensive back in the day, especially the Typhoon pickup truck when you compared it to even a well equipped Sonoma. Chevy did a lot better selling the Trailblazer SS, which was much more competitively priced and had what the Chevy guys want, a honking V8 with RWD, AWD optional. An Equinox SS, that isn't going to sell to that Bow-Tie enthusiast crowd, no V8=no sales when it comes to Chevy performance cars IMO. The Cobalt SS never really caught on as an example, despite the turbocharged model being one hell of a performer.
Despite the steep pricetag, the Typhoon and Syclone sold well for a time when people did not equate trucks/SUVs as performance vehicles. I think between the Typhoon and Syclone, about 7500 sold over a few years.