Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Audi Q5 Unveiled in Paris

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 05:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Q7 is such a nice vehicle to drive I'm sure it makes up for styling for many buyers.
FYI, Consumer Reports rated the new Q7 the highest-scoring SUV they ever tested. They were very impressed with it....and felt it was worth its high price.
Old 09-30-16, 05:55 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the hype with the new Q7. Looks like a station wagon and even in higher trims is incredibly bland. The interior is bland too.

Fits the needs of its clientele perfectly though, which is what matters I suppose. Personally, very few SUVs on the market excite me less than it. At least the egg-shaped GLE can be had with diamond stitched seats/doors and leather dash and doors.
Old 09-30-16, 06:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I don't understand the hype with the new Q7. Looks like a station wagon and even in higher trims is incredibly bland. The interior is bland too.

Fits the needs of its clientele perfectly though, which is what matters I suppose. Personally, very few SUVs on the market excite me less than it. At least the egg-shaped GLE can be had with diamond stitched seats/doors and leather dash and doors.
It's not all about style and flash. Its good looking, the interior is very high quality and full of tech. It's just a very nice vehicle to drive, the interior is spacious and functional. It rides great and is very quiet and refined. It's also a good value.

The GLE is not really a competitor, if you need three rows its not an option.

I never had any interest in it until I drove one and it really impressed me. They're all over the place too so something must be right.
Old 09-30-16, 08:30 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The creasing and rear flares are great. Just don't like the wave. I think the A4 looks far more attractive with its character line vs. the A5 and Q5.

Well, thank you!
Old 09-30-16, 08:31 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

You clearly haven't driven one... or any other Audi for that matter. And who is that clientele? And what do YOU drive, out of curiosity?
Old 09-30-16, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the new q7 is bland?! drive the prestige model and we will talk
Old 09-30-16, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

LOVE the new Q5! The body, greenhouse, front and rear styling, and dashboard are a model of modernism, art, and restrain. But I agree it would have looked better without the soft, wavy line above the wheel wells. That one line suggests the body is weak and sagging at the center. New A5 has the same problem. Luckily the A3 and A4 do not.
Anyone see the aqua blue unit on display at the Paris Auto Show? Dang that is one nice cooler. I hope it makes it to the states. Audi has been extremely stingy with their blues lately and any aqua color has been absent from the auto scene since the last Pontiac Firebird.
Old 10-01-16, 05:17 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dseag2
You clearly haven't driven one... or any other Audi for that matter. And who is that clientele? And what do YOU drive, out of curiosity?
Ha I've driven many Audis, my family used to have a 2007 A6 as a matter of fact. I drive an E90 w/ Sport package black/brown and a 2013 IS250. Would even drive an RC over the snooze-fest that is the new A5.
Old 10-01-16, 05:20 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOVE the new Q5! The body, greenhouse, front and rear styling, and dashboard are a model of modernism, art, and restrain. But I agree it would have looked better without the soft, wavy line above the wheel wells. That one line suggests the body is weak and sagging at the center. New A5 has the same problem. Luckily the A3 and A4 do not.
Anyone see the aqua blue unit on display at the Paris Auto Show? Dang that is one nice cooler. I hope it makes it to the states. Audi has been extremely stingy with their blues lately and any aqua color has been absent from the auto scene since the last Pontiac Firebird.
I saw a Q3 with that aqua color (or a similar one) and it was actually pretty neat. A bit out of my comfort zone but it certainly didn't look bad.
Old 10-01-16, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ha I've driven many Audis, my family used to have a 2007 A6 as a matter of fact. I drive an E90 w/ Sport package black/brown and a 2013 IS250. Would even drive an RC over the snooze-fest that is the new A5.
A 2007 A6 is an entirely different world from modern Audis. They have come a really long way.

The new Q7 is a really nice vehicle and I'm sure this Q5 will be too.

Unless you've driven a new Q7 you talking about how it drives is just silly.
Old 10-01-16, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I never had any interest in it until I drove one and it really impressed me. They're all over the place too so something must be right.
They're all over the place in this area, of course, because a lot of people have the money to afford one....although I suspect that, as with many upscale German-badged vehicles, a fair number of them are leased rather than purchased.
Old 10-01-16, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They're all over the place in this area, of course, because a lot of people have the money to afford one....although I suspect that, as with many upscale German-badged vehicles, a fair number of them are leased rather than purchased.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. A lot of luxury cars are purchased here, and a lot of Q7s are on the roads here. So what's your point?
Old 10-01-16, 08:13 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

A 2007 A6 is an entirely different world from modern Audis. They have come a really long way.

The new Q7 is a really nice vehicle and I'm sure this Q5 will be too.

Unless you've driven a new Q7 you talking about how it drives is just silly.
Boy, is that the truth. 2007 A6? That's light years away from the current Audi models.
Old 10-01-16, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

2007 a6, that explains a lot. a decade later 2017 are very different cars
Old 10-02-16, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

This new model is as expected. The new Audis have nice interiors but I thought the outgoing interiors were better than the new ones.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi Q5 Unveiled in Paris