Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Mini-Review/Test-Drive: 2017 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 02:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Or they'll get run over and killed by their new car that they aren't familiar with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...sh-age-27.html

Then they'll issue a recall on the bad design once somebody is killed, for something that didn't need to be changed in the first place. Notice that on the new 2016-2017 Grand Cherokee they went back to a traditional shift mechanism with actual detents on the lever. Nobody needed to die because the Jeep designers decided to make a gimmick out of changing gears to make the car seem more "futuristic" or whatever their idea was behind that bad design.

The other thing is YOU might be familiar with how the shifter works in your car. People in general are dumb(no disrespect to Mr Yelchin), the shift mechanism has been the same for DECADES. Give somebody that crazy Buick joystick or that bad design in the Grand Cherokee as a rental car, watch them bump into something because the car rolled the wrong way thinking they were in drive while instead were in reverse, were still in drive instead of park and took their foot off the brake, etc. Same thing if somebody has to move your car in the driveway or something and they flub it up.
I think the safety thing is overblown. Some cars like BMW automatically go in park the moment you open the drivers door.
Old 10-02-16, 02:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK then, for the reviews that are less than full-length, I'll do them more along this format.

I've got a number of review-requests, though, for the Lincoln Continental, so that one will probably be full-length....or close to it.
I would start the shorter reviews right away with the Lincoln
Old 10-02-16, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Just to be clear, the CT6 also has an electronic shifter, its just a traditional feeling setup. ALL shifters nowadays are electronic...there is no mechanical linkage between the shifter and the transmission.
Yes, that's a good point. Still, there's a BIG difference between the way the CT6 shifter and the XT5/LaCrosse shifters actually operate. Overall, I found the CT6's much easier to use, though I was able to decipher the other two enough to at least do an adequate test-drive.

I also have to agree with some previous posts that (maybe) Cadillac did it this way with the CT6 because they expected the media age of CT6 buyers to be higher than that of the XT5....and less able to adapt to complex shifters.

BTW, one of my colleagues at church this morning (about my age) pulled up with a brand-new silver XT5....just got it last week. (I of course, had a bottle of you-kno-what for him) He told me the same thing.....great vehicle, he loves it, but the shifter took a lot of practice and was frustrating.

The reason the CT6 does not have a style shifter as the XT5 does is not because they need to save cost in the XT5, I don't buy that a joystick style shifter is less expensive than a traditional style shifter, its about demographics. The CT6 is aimed at an older demographic.
Jill seems to think it's a cost-factor, but I agree with you.....I think demographics has more to do with it. The XT5 and 3Gen LaCrosse are being aimed at younger buyers, despite the fact that the 1Gen and even 2Gen LaCrosse were often leased or purchased by senior citizens.
Old 10-02-16, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We've spent a lot of time in this thread talking about shifters, but the new Lacrosse also has other features that I think are worthy of discussion. Perhaps what impressed me the most was the overall fit/finish (except for the cheaply-done steering column and stalks), solid-feeling sheet metal, and high-quality materials inside and outside. Upper-trim levels also use real polished wood, not the fake stuff. No, this is NOT your father's Buick LOL.
Old 10-02-16, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Glad they realized it needs real wood in upper trims.

I'll have to go drive one. I wouldn't be interested in the Impala, Chevys are a little hillbilly for me, but the package in the Lacrosse wouldn't have that issue.
Old 10-02-16, 03:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Glad they realized it needs real wood in upper trims.

I'll have to go drive one. I wouldn't be interested in the Impala, Chevys are a little hillbilly for me, but the package in the Lacrosse wouldn't have that issue.
I think the latest V6 Impala actually drives better than the LaCrosse (and Consumer Reports gave it 95 out of 100 on the road test), but, granted, the Chevy name, of course, doesn't have as much panache as the Buick (I know that brand-name is important to you). It's like the Hyundai Genesis 5.0L, which is also a superb car for the money, but stuck with the Hyundai nameplate.

On your test-drive, I'd recommend one with 18" wheels, unless firm, sport-sedan characteristics are important to you...I think you'll find the 18's a good overall ride/handling trade-off. Unfortunately, you're stuck with the on/off system for the engine...there's no way to shut it off. And (though I don't want to sound like a broken phonograph record here LOL) ........you'll probably need to spend at least a few minutes practicing with the shifter before you actually take off. Some of the ones in stock have a nice little removable card attached to the shifter, that shows its basic motions.
Old 10-02-16, 09:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The thing about the Impala is it has a really wonky dash design. Its just strange/ugly IMO. I'd buy the Buick over the Impala just for that reason alone, even though I think the Impala is a better looking car on the outside.
Old 10-02-16, 09:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The thing about the Impala is it has a really wonky dash design. Its just strange/ugly IMO. I'd buy the Buick over the Impala just for that reason alone, even though I think the Impala is a better looking car on the outside.
I have always thought the length vs the wide of the vehicle makes it look like a wiener dog car. Dash looks strange too. But a lot of reviews like the interior.
Old 10-02-16, 09:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always thought the length vs the wide of the vehicle makes it look like a wiener dog car. Dash looks strange too. But a lot of reviews like the interior.
Agreed.....I don't care for the Impala's dash, either. But, hey, no car is perfect....though the suspension and general driving experience of this car will let one overlook a number of other faults.
Old 10-02-16, 10:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Agreed.....I don't care for the Impala's dash, either. But, hey, no car is perfect....though the suspension and general driving experience of this car will let one overlook a number of other faults.
Yeah but the dash design is something I have to look at the whole time I'm driving the car. If I don't like it, it can be a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-03-16, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,346 Likes on 1,537 Posts

It's like the Hyundai Genesis 5.0L, which is also a superb car for the money, but stuck with the Hyundai nameplate.
not any longer of course, it's the Genesis (brand) G80 now.
Old 10-04-16, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not any longer of course, it's the Genesis (brand) G80 now.
Well, at least once they get the Genesis brand going. But, until they get their own exclusive dealerships (which will take time and money), even the Genesis brand will also have Lincoln's problem.

(if you remember one of my other recent posts in another thread, that may be a good ultimate role for any Caddy dealerships that are going to end up being closed in their downsizing).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-04-16 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 06:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, at least once they get the Genesis brand going. But, until they get their own exclusive dealership, even the Genesis brand will also have Lincoln's problem.
I don't think Genesis will have any issues with their dealers. I guarantee there will be new stand alone Genesis dealers faster than Lincoln can do it. People will want to invest in Genesis. Genesis has potential whereas the same can't be said for Lincoln.

Also, new buyers wont have to spend any time in a Hyundai dealer. Genesis owners can have their cars picked up for them, serviced, and then returned at their home or office.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-04-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think Genesis will have any issues with their dealers. I guarantee there will be new stand alone Genesis dealers faster than Lincoln can do it. People will want to invest in Genesis.
The Continental alone, though, certainly promises to be a nice enough product that it shouldn't have to share sales and showroom space with Ford Focuses and Fiestas LOL.

Also, new buyers wont have to spend any time in a Hyundai dealer. Genesis owners can have their cars picked up for them, serviced, and then returned at their home or office.
Well, yes, that's an interesting point about the pick-up/delivery service. I myself like to do my own driving as much as possible, but I know not everyone else is necessarily like that. And, some people don't have reserved parking spaces at work, so once their car leaves the space, it may not be empty when coming back.
Old 10-04-16, 03:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I don't think Genesis will have any issues with their dealers. I guarantee there will be new stand alone Genesis dealers faster than Lincoln can do it. People will want to invest in Genesis. Genesis has potential whereas the same can't be said for Lincoln.
I think you're on to something, that Genesis will catch on. Yes it might be a Hyundia with a different badge, but the Genesis models are completely separate models that don't really share anything in common with a Sonata or other downmarket Hyundai. You get into a Lincoln, its a tarted up Ford Fusion, Escape, or Expidition. Not worth the premium price, you can get away with tarting up a mainstream car if the luxury version is substantially different with way nicer trim(Lexus does a good job of this if you compare a Camry to an ES).

Getting back to the LaCrosse, IMO its competing with the Impala for sales as well, something GM is notorious for doing in the past, I just don't see that much of a differentiation between the two cars, both are big FWD sedans, around the same price, both GM, both drive similarly, IMO you just pick which one you think looks the best.

Last edited by Aron9000; 10-04-16 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Mini-Review/Test-Drive: 2017 Buick LaCrosse