Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Remember though that they're focusing on leasing, they expect 85% of their customers will lease. If there are differences in residual or money factors between the 6 and the 8 then that small price gap could equal hundreds of dollars a month.

I'll pay $50 more a month, but $100 more? I don't know.
Old 10-10-16, 01:08 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I know a good number of people in my circle who would not consider a Korean car either. My other half is one of them. But she loves Korean home appliances. I personally don't blame them though. It does run in my blood too. I buy Korean TVs but I don't feel the same way about cars yet.

I kind of get where they are coming from, for not considering a Hyundia or Kia. They built crap 15-20 years ago, just utter crap.

The competition is very stiff now days, there are several different great Japanese or American cars/suvs for any given market segment that I would say are pretty comparable if not superior to their Korean competition. Its not like 1970's/80'/s90's/early 00's where FWD Japanese small to midsize cars were just heads and shoulders superior to American nameplate cars.
Old 10-10-16, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I kind of get where they are coming from, for not considering a Hyundia or Kia. They built crap 15-20 years ago, just utter crap.

The competition is very stiff now days, there are several different great Japanese or American cars/suvs for any given market segment that I would say are pretty comparable if not superior to their Korean competition. Its not like 1970's/80'/s90's/early 00's where FWD Japanese small to midsize cars were just heads and shoulders superior to American nameplate cars.
The Koreans, if they put their minds to it, can compete with anybody else out there. For instance, we got my brother a new Sportage because, after a careful search, there wasn't anything else in the CUV class that offered more for the same or less money.
Old 10-10-16, 07:47 AM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
How does genesis hold its value? I know I bought my 5 years old 460 for 33% of its new price
Not sure about the G90, however they genesis (now the G80) seems to loose value very rapidly which make its a great used car value. You can get a barely used Genesis 5.0 L V8 for around 32 K - 33 K which is slightly more than a top trim Honda accord ! I dont expect the G90 to be any different in the short term.
Old 10-10-16, 12:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I went and static-checked a G90 today, without a test-drive. Steve was pretty much on about this being a true luxury-class interior...and a credible Lexus LS competitor. Inside, it's got almost every pampering device known to the automotive world to coddle both its front and rear-seat occupants, and the fit/finish, trim, and interior hardware are all (mostly) first-rate. The four large, heavy doors shut almost like bank vaults. The paint job is first rate...though maybe not quite to Lexus standards. One nice thing is that you can get the 5.0L V8 with AWD in the U.S. (you could not with the previous 2Gen Hyundai Genesis), and the V8 and AWD options are both very reasonably priced.....in fact, I'd say a steal.

I did find some things, though, I felt could be improved. The six paint-color choice (white, black, silver, gray, blue, brown) is not very impressive for a car this expensive. The are too many buttons/*****/switches and trim-strips inside with an (IMO) cheap-looking painted-silver finish instead of nice chrome or other finish. The matte-black turn-signal and wiper stalks look and feel like something out of a Hyundai econocar parts-bin. The seats, though not actually uncomfortable, could use a little more cush-padding. And the E-shifter, though crisp-feeling and not the worst one I've seen by any means, didn't seem as easy to use or as intuitive as the conventional fore-aft shifter in the G80.

I'm not going to write up a formal review right now, though (except for these few notes). Steve has already done a significant review and test-drive, so I think I'll wait another month or two for the Annual Holiday Review and then do a complete, full-length write-up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-10-16 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sorptd
Not sure about the G90, however they genesis (now the G80) seems to loose value very rapidly which make its a great used car value. You can get a barely used Genesis 5.0 L V8 for around 32 K - 33 K which is slightly more than a top trim Honda accord ! I dont expect the G90 to be any different in the short term.
In plain English, the Genesis depreciates more than it deserves to. And that's because a significant portion of the public still has a view of Hyundai and Kia that is 15 years old....LONG out of date.
Old 10-10-16, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Do you own or lease a Q7, Henry, or just checking one out? Steve sampled a Q7 just a few days ago, and was very impressed with it. And Consumer Reports gives it one of the highest ratings it has ever given an SUV.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
Glad you enjoyed it. I'd be interested to get your opinion since you've owned a couple of flagship cars...
yes, soon soon. i don't have the car yet, and not likely. we have been shopping for new suv, wife is tired with the current one which has very old tech.
Old 10-10-16, 09:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

regarding a lot of the other comments, here's my thought. back in 1989 just about almost all of the luxury market buyers were laughing at toyota for even attempting to make a luxury car, let alone a whole new brand. last i checked 25 years later lexus is competing for one of the top spots in luxury market. and this is not discounting how they have shaken and changed the luxury market (remember how mb scrambled to improve the s class in the early 90s?)

while i am not saying genesis will be able to make it (they still have so much to prove), but denying them like that right now so early in the game, and most of them even without studying the car, that's nothing from any of the original bmw and mb fanboys in late 80s looking at the lexus brand
Old 10-10-16, 09:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

whoever wants to talk about depreciation should really take a hard look at mercedes, especially the amg cars where it is a living proof that "rich people don't give a damn about depreciation"

keep in mind depreciation should be about the % not absolute values.
Old 10-10-16, 09:33 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I even shocked at Porsche, I'm entertaining an idea of a 911 4 GTS, and happy to find out the car lose average 50k in a year and 5k miles later! But used car though...

i guess more expensive car it gets, more depreciation it has. Not true on limited run cars though, an used GT3RS can command 400k now.

But if hyundai has awesome lease deals on these G90, it's a win win for now: new car owner gets good deal, used car buyers can get a slightly used G90 for dirt cheap.
Old 10-10-16, 11:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
whoever wants to talk about depreciation should really take a hard look at mercedes, especially the amg cars where it is a living proof that "rich people don't give a damn about depreciation"

keep in mind depreciation should be about the % not absolute values.
Non-supercar AMG depreciation is truly something to behold. The AMG [X]65 models in particular drop like rocks.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I even shocked at Porsche, I'm entertaining an idea of a 911 4 GTS, and happy to find out the car lose average 50k in a year and 5k miles later! But used car though...
991's have not been keep their value very well.

i guess more expensive car it gets, more depreciation it has. Not true on limited run cars though, an used GT3RS can command 400k now.
Well it's the percentage that matters, not the outright dollar amount. And it really varies depending on brand- cars like the AMG S65 typically depreciate steeply because they're out of the S-class "sweet spot" and there's more prestigious makes occupying the same stratosphere.
Old 10-11-16, 06:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

But if hyundai has awesome lease deals on these G90, it's a win win for now: new car owner gets good deal, used car buyers can get a slightly used G90 for dirt cheap.
that doesn't make sense. since the lease payment is based off:
(new price - expected depreciated price at lease end) / # payments

so if lease price is low, the financier doesn't expect the value of the car to go down a lot. if they expect it to drop like a rock, the lease won't be that low. if there's lots of 'incentives' in there somehow to rig the math, then who's making any money?
Old 10-11-16, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
this is nothing new. and it's hardly limited to mercedes or even vehicles.

the amount some people waste on boats, planes, jewelry, etc., is pretty stunning.
Old 10-11-16, 07:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that doesn't make sense. since the lease payment is based off:
(new price - expected depreciated price at lease end) / # payments

so if lease price is low, the financier doesn't expect the value of the car to go down a lot. if they expect it to drop like a rock, the lease won't be that low. if there's lots of 'incentives' in there somehow to rig the math, then who's making any money?
The reason it makes sense is the carmaker can make lease deals they know they will loose money on to get the product out there. Toyota did this with the early LS400s, they lost money on them to get them out there and then consistently raised prices once the public understood the quality vehicle they had.
Old 10-11-16, 08:15 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've walked into plenty of luxury dealerships and been ignored, including Lexus dealers. That's something that varies from dealer to dealer, not an example of issues with the brand.
On my day off, we took our car into Lexus dealer for service. We were in the usual weekends clothes : While there, we walked to showroom to check out the newer models. A senior salesman came and asked me if I needed help. I said I was fine and just checking around. He went to the receptionist, talked to her for about 5 minutes. After that she had her eyes glued to us. Totally opposite to when I come in during my work day. They really don't know who their potential buyers could be.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Koreans, if they put their minds to it, can compete with anybody else out there. For instance, we got my brother a new Sportage because, after a careful search, there wasn't anything else in the CUV class that offered more for the same or less money.
I don't disagree with this. But for a lot of people, same or less money for the "same" things is not what they want. Same thing can be said to Lexus buyers (from other luxury brands buyers). My (Korean) buddy always sees my Lexus as an overpriced Toyota, and it certainly does not offer "same" things in his mind.

Last edited by 1111GS; 10-11-16 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news