Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's why I'd want to personalize mine, so it doesn't look like everybody else's. Red, burgandy, blue, navy blue, ie something that is actually a color is what I'd go for.
But 99% of luxury car buyers, especially flagship luxury car buyers don't agree with you. People choose to buy silver, grey, white and black. When you look at resale for colors like you mentioned, it takes a hit.

Can't fault a company for giving their customer what they want.
Old 11-07-16, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Can't fault a company for giving their customers what the majority want.
fify. ...
Old 11-07-16, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Can't fault a company for giving their customer what they want.
Customers. though, can't buy what isn't offered.
Old 11-07-16, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Customers. though, can't buy what isn't offered.
Companies don't have to guess what consumers will and will not buy in certain categories. You can't build every possible permutation of a product, see what people buy, and then throw away what they don't buy. That's not efficient business.

Companies use demographic information and consumer behavior to determine what permutations of a product to offer.

The reason why they don't offer bright blue or red large luxury sedans is that not enough consumers would buy them to make it worth producing them. This is why Hickey Freeman doesn't make lime green suits. Might somebody somewhere buy one? Sure. But they know what consumers of a conservative suit want and they produce that. Same is true of car paint colors.
Old 11-07-16, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The reason why they don't offer bright blue or red large luxury sedans is that not enough consumers would buy them to make it worth producing them.

Lexus LS460:

Cadillac DTS:

Old 11-07-16, 06:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

-pictures of LS460 and ugly Cadillac DTS-
Of course there are going to be exceptions (Lincoln Continental included), but his point stands that its not commonplace especially among the big kahuna sedans for a reason.
Old 11-07-16, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Of course there are going to be exceptions, but his point stands that its not commonplace for a reason.
The Lexus Matador Red has always been popular. It is still offered today, even on the LS.
Old 11-07-16, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How often do you see a Matador Red LS460? There's a thread in the 460 forum where we were talking about exactly that, how incredibly rare they are. I've actually never seen one myself, and you can bet every LS460 that passes me I notice.

And that blue DTS is an aftermarket paint job and look how pimped out it is with the vogue tires, etc.

These companies know what people will buy. Why would they not provide colors that would sell cars? They don't because most people don't want to buy those colors.

Leave the red and the bright blue to the GS-F and F Sport, RC, IS. Different personality, different buyer. It's like saying because they make red bathing suits people buy that they should make red business suits lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-07-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 06:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Audi offers their Exclusive Customized colors. Prices are steep starting at over $2k and go up from their. They have some beautiful colors but to add $2k-$5k to the cost of the car isn't worth in my book but some people do pay it.
Old 11-07-16, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Audi has a ton of super expensive custom options actually. How about a $12,000 leather dashboard? You can have it.
Old 11-07-16, 06:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree that they need to expand the number of exterior colors, but moreso even the interior color options. Only black and beige? How about light gray or brown? Those are still luxury colors. Red may be too sporty. With that said, one of the problems I've noticed even with the German automakers who offer different color interiors is that the dealerships play it safe and order mostly cars with black or beige interiors. I had to order my GS F Sport with Cabernet interior and I was just lucky to find my A4 with Nougat interior sitting on another dealer's lot. Yet I noticed there were quite a few owners who opted for Cabernet during the '13-'15 run, and there are quite a few who are opting for Nougat in the A4.

For ****s and giggles I went on the M-B site to build an S-Class. They offer 13 colors, although they are mostly varying shades of silver, gray, black and white. However, the interiors can be had in gray, brown, beige, black... even a gray/blue. I would think the interior is where a luxury car buyer would feel a little more open to trying something different.

Last edited by dseag2; 11-07-16 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How often do you see a Matador Red LS460? There's a thread in the 460 forum where we were talking about exactly that, how incredibly rare they are. I've actually never seen one myself, and you can bet every LS460 that passes me I notice.
Is your own LS that color? When you say you've never seen one, it's unclear if that means apart from yours.

I generally don't get involved much in the LS forum....there's little need for me to.

And that blue DTS is an aftermarket paint job and look how pimped out it is with the vogue tires, etc.
I agree it is pimped-out tires, but, from what I remember, Caddy, in certain model years, did offer a bright blue like that from the factory....or something very close to it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted it.
Old 11-07-16, 06:56 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree it is pimped-out tires, but, from what I remember, Caddy, in certain model years, did offer a bright blue like that from the factory....or something very close to it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted it.
Yes, most likely with this interior...
Attached Thumbnails Genesis G90 reviews and news-cadillac.jpeg  
Old 11-07-16, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My LS460 is Nebula Grey. There's a picture of it in my signature. I mean I drive around in the world and I notice cars around me as a car enthusiast. I don't think I've ever seen a matador red LS460. Meaning yes they make one, but it's not a popular color on this model at all. Overwhelmingly the LSs out there are silver, grey, black and white. Same as every other big luxury car. That's what people want by and large.

The reason dealerships only order and stock these colors when "more interesting" colors are available as dseag mentioned above is because of the same reason....these are the colors that sell
Old 11-07-16, 07:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Audi offers their Exclusive Customized colors. Prices are steep starting at over $2k and go up from their. They have some beautiful colors but to add $2k-$5k to the cost of the car isn't worth in my book but some people do pay it.
BMW and Mercedes do too. All we are saying that in this case, with Genesis still in its infancy and playing the value play, it's excusable that they're focusing on the colors that consumers want most. When they are able to get on firm footing and expand their manufacturing capability I'm sure they'll start spicing it up for the small amount of consumers who want that. You can tell just buy the lack of options they are trying to streamline things as much as possible.

Originally Posted by dseag2
For ****s and giggles I went on the M-B site to build an S-Class. They offer 13 colors, although they are mostly varying shades of silver, gray, black and white. However, the interiors can be had in gray, brown, beige, black... even a gray/blue. I would think the interior is where a luxury car buyer would feel a little more open to trying something different.
The interiors are on the lot for the S-class are still mostly black and beige, with a solid amount of gray. I do agree though that it would've been nice to at least offer a brown option. I expect this to get added in around the time of the car's mid-cycle refresh. They must not have been able to justify the manufacturing complexity costs at this point.

The reason dealerships only order and stock these colors when "more interesting" colors are available as dseag mentioned above is because of the same reason....these are the colors that sell
Yep...

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news