Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm old enough (just barely LOL) to remember three and four-tone interiors.

Old 11-07-16, 07:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

When I picked up my RR Sport there was a man getting his at the same time. He ordered a tri-tone interior...tan/espresso/ivory...it was absolutely hideous. I can't find any pics online outside of the configurator (for good reason):

Old 11-07-16, 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no accounting for taste!
Old 11-08-16, 07:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

if all we have to criticize about the g90 is exterior color options i'd say the car will be a big success.
Old 11-08-16, 08:37 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
When I picked up my RR Sport there was a man getting his at the same time. He ordered a tri-tone interior...tan/espresso/ivory...it was absolutely hideous. I can't find any pics online outside of the configurator (for good reason):

That is horrendous, and by some chance do you know off hand what the cost is for this optional interior?
Old 11-08-16, 08:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JT4
That is horrendous, and by some chance do you know off hand what the cost is for this optional interior?
No extra charge actually. LR doesn't charge extra for interior choices on the V8 Supercharged models.
Old 11-08-16, 09:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if all we have to criticize about the g90 is exterior color options i'd say the car will be a big success.
I agree. I doubt that the success or failure of the Genesis division, or the G90 in particular, depends on the number of color choices available.
Old 11-08-16, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Originally Posted by Lexbob2
I agree. I doubt that the success or failure of the Genesis division, or the G90 in particular, depends on the number of color choices available.
Time, of course, will tell. But, I'd add two things. First, I'd add the E-shifter to the b**ch list (I told you guys in the review I probably wasn't going to change my mind on that). Second, don't forget that the Hyundai Equus and Kia K900 tried a similar marketing scheme on the paint colors....and went nowhere. It's time for Hyundai to learn from its (current) mistakes...as they clearly did 10-15 years ago, when they stopped building junk and started turning out respectable vehicles.
Old 11-08-16, 11:14 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Second, don't forget that the Hyundai Equus and Kia K900 tried a similar marketing scheme on the paint colors....and went nowhere. It's time for Hyundai to learn from its (current) mistakes...as they clearly did 10-15 years ago, when they stopped building junk and started turning out respectable vehicles.
Oh come on. The colors aren't part of a marketing scheme and the color selection was FAR from the Equus and K900's biggest barrier to true success. The K900 in particular had much bigger issues like incompetent suspension tuning.
Old 11-08-16, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Oh come on. The colors aren't part of a marketing scheme and the color selection was FAR from the Equus and K900's biggest barrier to true success. The K900 in particular had much bigger issues like incompetent suspension tuning.
I didn't say that the colors were the only issue. But, one cannot dismiss the actual numbers. The Equus originally came out with only white/black/gray/silver...then, I think, added a dull brown. It got absolutely clobbered by the LS460.
Old 11-08-16, 11:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I didn't say that the colors were the only issue. But, one cannot dismiss the actual numbers. The Equus originally came out with only white/black/gray/silver...then, I think, added a dull brown. It got absolutely clobbered by the LS460.
The LS is offered in white, 3 shades of gray/silver, black, beige and red. So was it the red that helped the LS "clobber" the Equus?

Last edited by JDR76; 11-08-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 12:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Time, of course, will tell. But, I'd add two things. First, I'd add the E-shifter to the b**ch list (I told you guys in the review I probably wasn't going to change my mind on that). Second, don't forget that the Hyundai Equus and Kia K900 tried a similar marketing scheme on the paint colors....and went nowhere. It's time for Hyundai to learn from its (current) mistakes...as they clearly did 10-15 years ago, when they stopped building junk and started turning out respectable vehicles.
Mike, this is absurd. The low sales figures for the Equus and the K900 have nothing to do with lack of paint colors.

As we have already demonstrated here the vast majority of all full size luxury sedans are sold in silver, white, grey or black. How can Hyundai limiting the colors to basically the vastly most popular colors be to blame for poor sales?

Large luxury car buyers don't want bright colors. They don't buy bright colors on models where they are in fact available. Just google it, these ratios are out there.

You are completely out in left field here. Like, past the outfield in the parking lot.
Old 11-08-16, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here....I will do the work for you:

Check it out from KBB:

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articl...-color-to-buy/

This is for luxury cars. You can see the article has color %'s for other types of cars too, you'll see different colors selling in different segments. Like I said...people buy bright red and lime green bathing suits...but not business suits.

• Popular Colors for Luxury
  • Silver - 32.1%
  • White Metallic - 17.7%
  • White - 11.8%
  • Med/Dk. Blue 8.6%
  • Black - 8.5%
  • Med./Dk. Gray 7.2%
  • Med. Red - 6%
  • Gold - 3%
  • Med/Dk Green - 1.8%
  • Light Brown - 1.7%
To make it even easier....Silver, grey, white, and black make up nearly 70% of colors. "Med red" and "med blue" are deep colors too, not bright colors. Remember, Genesis has a nice patagonia blue which is actually an unusual color. So that means that Genesis has nearly 88% of luxury car buyers covered with the colors they have available on the G90...so how can you say colors are going to have a big impact on sales? It makes no sense.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-08-16 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mike, this is absurd. The low sales figures for the Equus and the K900 have nothing to do with lack of paint colors.

As we have already demonstrated here the vast majority of all full size luxury sedans are sold in silver, white, grey or black. How can Hyundai limiting the colors to basically the vastly most popular colors be to blame for poor sales?

Large luxury car buyers don't want bright colors. They don't buy bright colors on models where they are in fact available. Just google it, these ratios are out there.

You are completely out in left field here. Like, past the outfield in the parking lot.
OK.....no sense in arguing back and forth all night. You have your view, and I have mine. Time will tell what happens. Besides, with the election results coming tonight, there are LOTS more important things to watch, right now, than Hyundai/Genesis colors.

See you guys later.
Old 11-08-16, 02:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

OK.....no sense in arguing back and forth all night. You have your view, and I have mine. Time will tell what happens. Besides, with the election results coming tonight, there are LOTS more important things to watch, right now, than Hyundai/Genesis colors.

See you guys later.
You have a right to your own view but not your own facts. I've provided the facts and if you choose to simply ignore them in favor of your own view without any basis of that...I'm not sure what to tell you.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news