Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 07:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

You know Mike, I was thinking today man we missed the boat with these YouTube reviews didn't we? We'd be loaded!
Old 01-13-17, 07:31 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You know Mike, I was thinking today man we missed the boat with these YouTube reviews didn't we? We'd be loaded!
Gotta think ahead, Steve. No one takes the time to read anymore. I'm in my 50's and I would rather watch a YouTube review than read text.
Old 01-13-17, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I for one always read your reviews and enjoy them as they are geared more towards the 'every man', as Alex's are. They are down to earth and cover what over 90% of most drivers would be interested in- looks, comfort, convenience, etc.
Thanks. That's the way I intend them to be.......geared towards the average car-shopper, buying or leasing the vehicles and driving them in average American conditions.....particularly typical suburban driving. I do some moderately hard acceleration, braking, and steering-inputs/handling tests to get a basic feel for the vehicle, but, like the average driver, am generally not concerned with absolute lowest 0-60 times, highest skidpad/slalom figures, or at-the-limit behavior. Those who are interested in that data are best served by skipping my reviews and going straight to an enthusiast publication like Road & Track or Car & Driver. Though, of course, each buyer has to ultimately make his or her own decision based on their own sampling, and their opinions may not end up agreeing with mine, my reviews are designed to give you a pretty good idea of just what you will be taking home, and have to live with day after day while commuting or shopping, after you sign on that dotted line. I also, particularly on a full-review, in the opening part of the text, give a history of the vehicle and its parent company to where I think it is applicable.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
Gotta think ahead, Steve. No one takes the time to read anymore. I'm in my 50's and I would rather watch a YouTube review than read text.
Oh well!

Some of these guys with big subscriber counts do pretty well too.
Old 01-13-17, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Though I don't currently drive a very expensive vehicle, Steve, money's not an issue with me. I have a good Federal CSRS retirement with a nice pension, a paid-off town house, and a portfolio of tax-free investments. I don't need to, nor do I want to, get paid or collect any royalties...that's why I didn't join the auto press. With some exceptions (like Alex and Motorweek's John Davis), I don't care for how much of the auto press operates. They can often be snobbish, or even comedians like Click and Clack (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) or Jeremy Clarkson. Let them do their thing.....and I'll do mine. CL's Car Chat is my home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-17 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was just kidding Mike lol
Old 01-13-17, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
No one takes the time to read anymore. I'm in my 50's and I would rather watch a YouTube review than read text.
Even at my age, though, I find time to watch and read both.
Old 01-13-17, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I was just kidding Mike lol
I kid, too......but not in reviews.

Actually, you would probably be better at making videos than I would....you understand the complexities, electronics, and posting-techniques of it better than I do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-13-17, 08:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I absolutely could have done that, but alas, I missed the moment.
Old 01-17-17, 11:28 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Reading the below statement ; absolutely astonished me. To match the refinement of ls to a point where a current ls owner would have picked up a genesis is pretty impressive.I have been reading and looking at every review for the genesis 90, I wonder how well they would age compared to lexus/ realibility wise.
--------
To say that I’m impressed would be an understatement. I would go so far as to say that anybody looking for a car in this segment needs to drive this car. If I were in a position to trade the LS, I would seriously consider it. If I were shopping today, I would almost certainly choose this over a new LS460, and I really would give it a hard look over the more expensive players.
Old 01-17-17, 12:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I will seriously consider Genesis now from what I have seen and read about the G80 and G90. Other luxury brands have gotten so ridiculously overpriced for what you get and the downsized engines are a huge turn off to me, Genesis is looking to be a more attractive option. I think the G80 is one of the better looking sedans in its class after seeing more of them on the road and the G90 has one of the nicer interiors in class.
Old 01-17-17, 12:01 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I will seriously consider Genesis now from what I have seen and read about the G80 and G90. Other luxury brands have gotten so ridiculously overpriced for what you get and the downsized engines are a huge turn off to me, Genesis is looking to be a more attractive option. I think the G80 is one of the better looking sedans in its class after seeing more of them on the road and the G90 has one of the nicer interiors in class.
If you do go that route be sure to post up a thread.
Old 01-18-17, 08:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UZ214
Reading the below statement ; absolutely astonished me. To match the refinement of ls to a point where a current ls owner would have picked up a genesis is pretty impressive.I have been reading and looking at every review for the genesis 90, I wonder how well they would age compared to lexus/ realibility wise.
--------
To say that I’m impressed would be an understatement. I would go so far as to say that anybody looking for a car in this segment needs to drive this car. If I were in a position to trade the LS, I would seriously consider it. If I were shopping today, I would almost certainly choose this over a new LS460, and I really would give it a hard look over the more expensive players.
Was my quote and its the truth...

I'll be interested to drive the new LS and compare it. I like the look of the 5LS better than the G90, but it'll be a huge price premium and no V8.
Old 01-20-17, 09:45 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

all reviews of the car seem really positive and the reviewer seem to think it will bite into the LS market. They are probably right

Was my quote and its the truth...

I'll be interested to drive the new LS and compare it. I like the look of the 5LS better than the G90, but it'll be a huge price premium and no V8.
Old 07-05-17, 06:14 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

I had the chance to test drive a Genesis G90 on Tuesday, and I have to agree with Steve that this car has really put the bulls-eye on the Lexus LS and has bested Lexus in many categories. I won't repeat everything Steve has already pointed out regarding the G90, but I pretty much agree with his assessment that this car is likely to become a serious player in the Luxury car field.

The number of standard features is truly amazing (Lane Keep Assist, Heads Up display, Radar Cruise, auto-opening trunk, etc. etc.). And the 3 years of valet service, delivering a loaner Genesis each time, is over the top. The best thing (to me) is the Lease deals that are being offered on this car. I'm seeing 3 year leases around $699. Lexus LS leases are closer to $1100 for lesser-equipped cars...

I'm still pretty happy with my 2008 LS600hL, but I will be seriously tempted to make the jump to Genesis when the time comes to trade.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news