Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nice! Very glad to hear your experience. I've been tempted by the G80 Sport, but ultimately we don't need another sedan in the family. Would absolutely jump on a Genesis crossover if they had one out right now.

This is when it would (maybe) be nice for Genesis to work on the former Hyundai Veracruz SUV, which was one step above the Santa Fe in size and refinement. The only thing I remember about the Veracruz I didn't like, after I did my review, was that the steering gear and steering-wheel angle made it feel like you were driving a school bus LOL....it had virtually no feedback whatsoever, but that's something that Genesis can re-program.
Old 12-21-17, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Genesis deserves better than a redone ancient Hyundai model they haven’t made for several years
Old 12-21-17, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Genesis deserves better than a redone ancient Hyundai model they haven’t made for several years
while we are at it, why not bring back the KIA Boreggo to fight the GX. I don't understand all the living in the past. Genesis needs a volume sedan and volume SUV IMO, they need to copy the ES as Cadillac falls to do it and need something like a RX.
Old 12-21-17, 04:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
while we are at it, why not bring back the KIA Boreggo to fight the GX. I don't understand all the living in the past. Genesis needs a volume sedan and volume SUV IMO, they need to copy the ES as Cadillac falls to do it and need something like a RX.

Then what would you two suggest...an all new SUV from scratch? Right now, they probably don't have the money for that, especially with the G70 coming out, which drew off some development funds. They can't even afford stand-alone dealerships right now....though we would probably all agree that they are doing some nice sedans.
Old 12-21-17, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly LOL. I don’t think they need to go making FWD platform engineered cars like Lexus though, I’d like to see them come out with a crossover based off of one of their RWD sedan platform, and their management has said no FWD cars.
Old 12-21-17, 04:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Exactly LOL. I don’t think they need to go making FWD platform engineered cars like Lexus though, I’d like to see them come out with a crossover based off of one of their RWD sedan platform, and their management has said no FWD cars.
Disagree. Lexus makes money and serves up middle America well because of their FWD ES and RX, the LS, GS and GX and LX are the catalyst to help make people want to look at Lexus. Most people can't afford anything more than the ES or RX but they feel good about them because the Lexus brand has something at the top end to aspire to.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Then what would you two suggest...an all new SUV from scratch? Right now, they probably don't have the money for that, especially with the G70 coming out, which drew off some development funds. They can't even afford stand-alone dealerships right now.....
Yet you keep going on and on how the Hyundai brand (Genesis included) is on the same level as Toyota.
Old 12-21-17, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yet you keep going on and on how the Hyundai brand (Genesis included) is on the same level as Toyota.

Hyundai obviously is not as large an automaker as Toyota. And their engines/transmissions won't necessarily run any further (or as far) without problems. But, IMO, they come from the factory more solidly-screwed together, with better materials inside end out. I looked at a Toyota C-HR recently where the whole plastic panel that covers the lower dash wasn't even aligned or attached properly....it had sprung out at an angle, and partly covered the start/stop button to where you couldn't push it. (I couldn't fix it with the tools I carried wth me....I tried). This, from the so-called quality-masters.
Old 12-21-17, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, check this out. According to CR, Genesis ranks #3 among brands in customer satisfaction.....even without SUVs.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...tion/car-brands-ranked-by-owner-satisfaction/

(sorry...the graphic part wouldn't copy and post)

(yes, I know.....Buick's overall satisfaction wasn't that good LOL)
Old 12-21-17, 05:02 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Then what would you two suggest...an all new SUV from scratch? Right now, they probably don't have the money for that, especially with the G70 coming out, which drew off some development funds. They can't even afford stand-alone dealerships right now....though we would probably all agree that they are doing some nice sedans.
actually the Genesis brick and mortar dealerships will be opening quarter 4 of 2018, 18 of them opening simultaneously across the US in the highest Hyundai selling markets, 8 are scheduled for Los Angeles / Orange County CA alone.

When I went to the Los Angeles car show earlier this month, I had VIP tickets, and was allowed into a Q&A sessions with several of the Luxury Brands, Genesis was one of them.
Old 12-21-17, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjeds
actually the Genesis brick and mortar dealerships will be opening quarter 4 of 2018, 18 of them opening simultaneously across the US in the highest Hyundai selling markets, 8 are scheduled for Los Angeles / Orange County CA alone.
Good to hear. Not surprising that the lion's share will be in SoCal...traditionally the center of the country's car culture.

Actually, the full-Genesis dealership closest to my house is quite impressive, even though it shares its facilities with Hyundai. It's part of a literally enormous dealer-complex near Dulles airport where ALL of the dealerships are huge, new, and impressive. Steve (SW15GS) can vouch for that...he's been there.

There's a smaller Genesis shop closer to my house, but they only handle the G80, not the G90....the G90 is reserved for only the biggest and/or best Hyundai shops.

When I went to the Los Angeles car show earlier this month, I had VIP tickets, and was allowed into a Q&A sessions with several of the Luxury Brands, Genesis was one of them.
Are your VIP tickets multiple-admission? The VIP tickets I get for the D.C. show (when they are available....if not, I get the standard one-person free-passes) will admit up to four persons each.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-17 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-21-17, 05:07 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once they get the dealerships up and running the G90 will be a decent seller for Hyundai/Genesis. It looks like they wanted to get into the market quickly in order to get some consumer attention while still lacking the all important infrastructure. Nothing beats an upscale dealership vs these so-called "concierge" viewing appointments for Genesis cars. You want to be able to stroll in and look at a wide variety of vehicles and that means not just looking at something in your driveway or a Hyundai dealership.
Old 12-21-17, 05:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I read an interesting article about a few Hyundai dealers who weren't awarded a stand alone Genesis dealership created a kerfuffle at a recent meeting. Hyundai management stuck by their decision to keep them limited.
Old 12-21-17, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I read an interesting article about a few Hyundai dealers who weren't awarded a stand alone Genesis dealership created a kerfuffle at a recent meeting. Hyundai management stuck by their decision to keep them limited.
Under Hyundai corporate policy, not all of the (current) Genesis franchises can handle the G90, either. Some are restricted to the G80 and (presumably) the upcoming G70.
Old 12-21-17, 05:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its already under development Mike...

Its not that they "can't afford standalone dealerships", those too are in development.

Disagree. Lexus makes money and serves up middle America well because of their FWD ES and RX, the LS, GS and GX and LX are the catalyst to help make people want to look at Lexus. Most people can't afford anything more than the ES or RX but they feel good about them because the Lexus brand has something at the top end to aspire to.
Personally I think the FWD ES and RX are what will always hold Lexus back from true parity with the germans. They will always be that link that says "Lexus is just a fancy Toyota". I think Genesis' plan is the right track, to avoid those sorts of cars. BTW, Genesis has actually said they won't produce any FWD cars, thats not coming from me thats coming from them.

Remember, Genesis can make a RWD G80 at the same price as Lexus sells a FWD ES. Having driven both, the G80 is a way better car.
Old 12-21-17, 05:56 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Are your VIP tickets multiple-admission? The VIP tickets I get for the D.C. show (when they are available....if not, I get the standard one-person free-passes) will admit up to four persons each.

my VIP tickets were from a manufacturer, the owner of the last company I worked for is a 30% owner Utilimaster-Sparton Motors, he has some type of relationship with a BMW higher up, I guess they are like a press pass, I get to go in before the public and participate in Q/A sessions and discussion panels. Ed sends them to me every year because he knows I am a car guy and worked as a grunt in the industry (pretty sure that is one of the reasons he hired me).

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news