Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 02:05 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^^ i watched that review before you posted and it had some interesting details but he had to keep making the snarky "it's a $75,000 HYUNDAI" over and over, i doubt LS fans would be appreciative of a review by him of "an $85,000 Toyota".
Doesn't that get old? I was chatting with a coworker about the Stinger recently. I was telling him how it might make a decent replacement daily for me, given the features etc., especially the performance. He was like "yeah, but then you have to accept the fact that you spent about $50,000 on a Kia."

I could also make fun of him for spending probably more time, energy, and money than it's worth for his S2000 he just picked up, but that would be just petty considering I am not actually getting a Stinger, that I know of.

It is going to take a lot for people to overcome the brand stigma, but it happened with Lexus.
Old 05-29-18, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^ i watched that review before you posted and it had some interesting details but he had to keep making the snarky "it's a $75,000 HYUNDAI" over and over, i doubt LS fans would be appreciative of a review by him of "an $85,000 Toyota".

anyway, came across this one, it's a sales guy from a dealer, so grain of salt of course, but nice details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOGJYuP1L0
I thought his review was not bad. I don’t mind him when he finds something that otherwise you would never know to look for. I was slightly annoyed at the end when he had to bring up “brand chache”. He could of left it at, the car was good.

As for the Hyundai or Toyota references, would not bother me, Toyota is a pretty well know and a highly regarded brand, Hyundai is also well know, not as well regarded. I personally believe that Genesis, Lexus, Acura And Cadillac etc etc all succeed only when the parent company is very strong. They go hand in hand. I will be interested to see where the Genesis brand settles off at once they get a few a SUVs into the mix.
Old 05-29-18, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The brand cachet is a big part of it, and is a valid point. Like it or not, the brand cachet of a luxury items means a lot to a lot of people.

Its a big part of why I don’t have a G90.
Old 05-29-18, 08:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The brand cachet is a big part of it, and is a valid point. Like it or not, the brand cachet of a luxury items means a lot to a lot of people.
Its a big part of why I don’t have a G90.
and an s-class owner says "it's a big part of why i don't have a lexus."

rinse/repeat...
Old 05-29-18, 08:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i must be one of few who don't feel much about "infiniti is an expensive nissan", "lexus is an expensive toyota", or "genesis is an expensive hyundai". those are not entirely wrong statements anyway and if i am bothered by that means i am bothered by facts. people own these cars for a reason, at least they are generally more reliable than the "other brands" to start
Old 05-30-18, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

rinse/repeat...
Originally Posted by rominl
i must be one of few who don't feel much about "infiniti is an expensive nissan", "lexus is an expensive toyota", or "genesis is an expensive hyundai". those are not entirely wrong statements anyway and if i am bothered by that means i am bothered by facts. people own these cars for a reason, at least they are generally more reliable than the "other brands" to start
All brands such as GM,Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai have people who drive Toyotas, Nissan’s, Checys etc who might want to become a luxury owner or perhaps also already have a luxury car from those brands in their driveways. People seem to forget that before Lexus, Toyota did have a large RWD sedan and cars or SUVs that straddled the luxury price points. Land Cruiser, Supra were not cheap. Hyundai did as well with their Hyundai branded Genesis coupe and sedan before they separated the two named. Some brands the non luxury brand can go hand-in-hand with their more luxury or premium brand.
Old 05-30-18, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

rinse/repeat...
Thats the absolute truth lol. To me the Lexus is in a good place when it comes to "prestige vs cost". Its not overly ostentatious, I never feel uncomfortable in it, where I would in an S Class or 7 Series at times in certain situations), but people know what it is and know its expensive and that its a symbol of success (in sales, it matters). The Genesis I'd spend a lot of time telling people what it is, Mercedes or BMW I'd spend a lot of time laughing at peoples snide comments.

Originally Posted by rominl
That heritage doesn't bother me at all, its the lack of awareness of Genesis as a brand. Everybody knows what an Infiniti is and what a Lexus is, very few people know what a Genesis is right now.
Old 05-30-18, 08:41 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

anyway, came across this one, it's a sales guy from a dealer, so grain of salt of course, but nice details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOGJYuP1L0
I've got to admit... Watching this and looking at the G90 with all those Hyundai's in the background is not a pretty sight. Definitely made me feel a bit less enthusiastic about the car than I normally would've. They need to get those Genesis dealerships up and running asap.

After seeing that video, I was left with the feeling that it's not a car I'd want to drive nor be seen driving (it would look a bit funny and I'd feel a bit strange as I'm nowhere remotely close to the age of their target buyer) but I'd have no problems with an S560 or even LS500 (it would probably still look strange but I wouldn't mind )
Old 05-30-18, 09:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
I've got to admit... Watching this and looking at the G90 with all those Hyundai's in the background is not a pretty sight. Definitely made me feel a bit less enthusiastic about the car than I normally would've. They need to get those Genesis dealerships up and running asap.

After seeing that video, I was left with the feeling that it's not a car I'd want to drive nor be seen driving (it would look a bit funny and I'd feel a bit strange as I'm nowhere remotely close to the age of their target buyer) but I'd have no problems with an S560 or even LS500 (it would probably still look strange but I wouldn't mind )
There are Genesis dealers. Look up find a Genesis dealer near you.
Old 05-30-18, 09:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
In the US, they're not stand-alone.
Old 05-30-18, 10:19 AM
signdetres
Racer

Every single Genesis dealer around me is a Hyundai dealership. No thanks.
Old 05-30-18, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
In the US, they're not stand-alone.
Originally Posted by signdetres
Every single Genesis dealer around me is a Hyundai dealership. No thanks.
If the product is good, it should not matter. Same thing with Hyundai, if Hyundai makes strong products and has a strong brand, and excellent dealers and customer, I don't think it matters. Eventually dealers are important, but the three cars they have now cannot support a stand alone IMO.
Old 05-30-18, 10:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 660 Likes on 494 Posts

If the product is good, it should not matter. Same thing with Hyundai, if Hyundai makes strong products and has a strong brand, and excellent dealers and customer, I don't think it matters. Eventually dealers are important, but the three cars they have now cannot support a stand alone IMO.
I've expressed this before, but it seems like the dealers are only interested in selling Hyundais. At least, that was my impression at the one large dealership in my area I stopped at last year. Maybe that has changed since they announced they might not have independent Genesis dealers anytime soon, though.
Old 05-30-18, 01:37 PM
signdetres
Racer

Of course it matters for Hyundai. A separate brand, aka Genesis, will only disguise who the automaker is and what their standing reputation is for so long to the general public/average consumer who does not follow cars and automotive news like you or I. Therefore, the perception is difficult to change regardless of how great the product is. I know how great it is, you know how great it is, the average person doesn't even know what Genesis is but the second you tell them it's made by Hyundai, they'll have already formed an opinion about it based on "Hyundai."

If you want to sell a luxury product, you can't associate it with a non-luxury brand. Chanel and Louis Vuitton can be found in Neiman Marcus but not Kohl's. Likewise, you won't find any brands sold in Kohl's at Neiman Marcus. They're products and stores for different demographics. Likewise, Genesis products and Hyundai products are intended for different demographics which is why you cannot sell them at the same 'store'.

Just like you won't find Neiman Marcus customers at Kohl's, you won't find full-size luxury sedan buyers at a Hyundai dealership.
Old 05-30-18, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Why can't you have stand-alone deslerships for three Genesis products? I don't agree with your reasoning at all. Lexus started out at stand-alone dealerships with only two models (the LS400 and ES250), Infiniti with two (the Q45 and M30), and Acura with two (Legend and Integra). And, I might add.......all of those vehicles were ether sedans or coupes.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news