Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You can have a passion for any type of car/truck whatever. You have a passion for your LaCrosse, the Buick clearly evokes some sort of emotion out of you.
Always did like the classic Buick ride, but, with the exception of the 60s-vintage GS 350/400 and 80s-vintage Grand National/GNX, I never looked on them as sport-oriented vehicles. And the two-seat Regatta, like most of the GM products of that era, was simply too much of a piece of junk to be a credible roadster LOL.

You won't be special ordering a LaCrosse ever again
Sadly, you're probably right.

But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. That's a subject for another thread, not this one. Lincoln or Genesis, though, could (likely) get my business next time....though I would hate to give up my current GM Service Advisor. Unlike many people in that business, he has been like a saint....and gets consistently very high marks from all of his business-reviews.
Old 11-03-19, 07:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
The G90 has the same problem as the other Genesis sedans. It has no proper luxury dealership infrastructure to support it. You can valet cars all you want but it doesn't address the issues of having a proper luxe gallery to show off your product. You need ambience and atmosphere to appeal to these sorts of consumers.
(groundhog day) yup, they don’t have fancy dealers yet, but yet is not ever.

The Audi A8 is behind the G90 and the LS is slightly ahead - so it's a tough segment to sell in.
fine company to be between and that’s before the 2020 model comes out with many upgrades.

One thing that can be done is lose the Bentley flying logo
second dumbest idea i’ve seen in this thread. Love the genesis logo.
Old 11-03-19, 07:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
They removed the logo from the rear of the 2020 G90. I don’t think it is that bad. Not sure I like the wording.
Old 11-03-19, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now you're beginning to see how dumb some of these marketing people in the auto industry can be. They have been one of the banes of my existence for years.
Old 11-03-19, 08:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Now you're beginning to see how dumb some of these marketing people in the auto industry can be. They have been the bane of my existence for years.
But why Marshall? I don’t get it, sales and exposure of Genesis is not strong. They removed the words BUICK for branding reasons, but now GENESIS is added in big letters. Our LXand 4Runner say the Lexus\TOYOTA wording, but they removed it and just went logo for both my Matrix and Corolla. Do you see my POV? Hyundai no looks says the words, just the logo. It’s a good thing. Genesis is trying to figure it out.
Old 11-03-19, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But why Marshall? I don’t get it, sales and exposure of Genesis is not strong. They removed the words BUICK for branding reasons, but now GENESIS is added in big letters. Our LXand 4Runner say the Lexus\TOYOTA wording, but they removed it and just went logo for both my Matrix and Corolla. Do you see my POV? Hyundai no looks says the words, just the logo. It’s a good thing. Genesis is trying to figure it out.

I think bitkahuna is correct......I like the winged Genesis logo, too...it adds flair to their vehicles.

Logo or not, though (and fancy dealerships or not), what sells Genesis products is the solid THUNK (with no vibrations/rattles) you get when you shut the doors, the decent-grade sheet metal, the interior materials, the fit/finish, and the solid way everything is screwed together. Lincoln and Cadillac (and, yes, to some extent, the Lacrosse and Enclave) could all learn handsomely from the way Genesis products are built....although Lincoln is indeed using better interior materials now.
Old 11-03-19, 08:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think bitkahuna is correct......I like the winged Genesis logo, too...it adds flair to their vehicles.

Logo or not, though (and fancy dealerships or not), what sells Genesis products is the solid THUNK (with no vibrations/rattles) you get when you shut the doors, the decent-grade sheet metal, the interior materials, the fit/finish, and the solid way everything is screwed together. Lincoln and Cadillac (and, yes, to some extent, the Lacrosse and Enclave) could all learn handsomely from the way Genesis products are built....although Lincoln is indeed using better interior materials now.
I will have to respectfully disagree. The product must good yes, and Genesis is. They are also winning all the awards. Placing well in the magazine tests. So there is something they are missing. is it the marketing and dealer network? Some claim dealers are not needed as online is the way of the future, I disagree with that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-03-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 08:47 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Aston Martin's winged logo is my favorite, but Genesis's is very nice in a field full of winged logos:

Aston Martin, Austin-Healey, Bentley, Chrysler, Genesis, Lagonda, Mini, Morgan all use a similar wing themes
Old 11-03-19, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will have to respectfully disagree. The product must good yes, and Genesis is. They are also winning all the awards. Placing well in the magazine tests. So there is something they are missing. is it the marketing and dealer network? Some claim dealers are not needed as online is the way of the future, I disagree with that.

Not sure, though, what you are disagreeing on. Although, yes, an upscale dealership is nice if available, in the end, one buys a vehicle, not an entertainment center.
Old 11-04-19, 05:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Aston Martin's winged logo is my favorite, but Genesis's is very nice in a field full of winged logos:

Aston Martin, Austin-Healey, Bentley, Chrysler, Genesis, Lagonda, Mini, Morgan all use a similar wing themes
Seeing them listed like this- That's a lotta wings.
Old 11-04-19, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I love when people compare sedan sales from 5+ years ago to today and blame the lower sales on the product itself while ignoring the dramatic fall off of sedan sales within that timeframe.
Old 11-04-19, 07:32 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(groundhog day) yup, they don’t have fancy dealers yet, but yet is not ever. fine company to be between and that’s before the 2020 model comes out with many upgrades.
The LS and the A8 are slow sellers for various reasons. Genesis is only a dozen years old so ok company to keep for now, but they will need to keep working on those dealerships.

Meh. Just says, "we'd like you to think of us as a bargain Bentley". As Jill has pointed out, they got rid of the logo on the back and replaced it with Genesis in big wide letters for 2020.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes, correct, they all do. Aston Martin is a sporting GT brand for the most part. Austin Healey is no more. Chrysler's logo has nearly disappeared since they have the aging 300 left (and the Pacifica). Mini looks more like a tacked on sticker than a logo. Morgan is an esoteric niche seller. I think we're talking luxury sedans here.
Old 11-04-19, 08:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If there are no dealers, sales will never take off. You would need strong marketing as well. Product Is already competitive
Old 11-04-19, 09:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

great dealers + meh product = no sales
meh dealers + great product = some sales
great dealers + great product = great sales

going to take time to get to the third level. they couldn't possibly be there yet for reasons stated over, and over, and over.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-04-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

If there are no dealers, sales will never take off. You would need strong marketing as well. Product Is already competitive
Access to the product is a huge part of it I agree.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news