Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis G90 reviews and news

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 11:45 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default LS gets very serious competition from Hyundai

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Hyundai Motor Co. on Wednesday began sales of a flagship luxury sedan under its new premium brand Genesis.
http://news.yahoo.com/hyundai-motor-...054406047.html

Don't laugh - I've had lots of pleasant airport rental experiences with the latest Sonata and Santa Fe models. So I've seen first hand that Hyundai is capable of building vehicles that match or exceed the levels of ride comfort and quietness that comparable Toyota/Lexus models offer.
Old 12-10-15, 12:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very impressed with Hyundai/Kia recent products, they have come a long way and their new Genesis, Equus, K900 are capable luxury cars. Very cheap and good alternatives conpare with the big three. Hopefully Lexus can debut the new LS soon.
Old 12-10-15, 12:45 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I don't really like the headlights, it's too much like their Elantra! The bottom of their lineup... Everything else looks promising though.
Old 12-10-15, 10:41 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A half dozen online pics of the rear seats, but no pics of the dashboard? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Old 12-10-15, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a few notes. Interior dash is very reminiscent of the ES and as other's pointed out, other automakers. This is pretty much the cookie cutter design for most luxury sedans, 7 series/S class included. Im really glad MB has differentiated itself enough and moved to a more contemporary and more stylized interior design language. Lexus in particular needs to step it up a notch.

Last point, the steering wheel is ugly. They really should have stitched the airbag cover and made it three spoke
Old 12-10-15, 11:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

i love how they extended the middle screen cowel/top over to the right (more like gs/ls) so it doesn't look like the s-class or new e-class 'boxes'.

not a big fan of the light colored lower tier, but i guess that goes with that light leather... probably different for a dark color interior.
Old 12-10-15, 12:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Just a few notes. Interior dash is very reminiscent of the ES and as other's pointed out, other automakers. This is pretty much the cookie cutter design for most luxury sedans, 7 series/S class included. Im really glad MB has differentiated itself enough and moved to a more contemporary and more stylized interior design language. Lexus in particular needs to step it up a notch.

Last point, the steering wheel is ugly. They really should have stitched the airbag cover and made it three spoke
style wise alone though, i think the steering wheel is still better than the s class regular wheel
Old 12-10-15, 12:19 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That shifter location looks weird in the pics I've seen. Almost looks like you have to either go over the top of the shifter or sneak your hand in between it and the dash to hit the P button. I think it would get hit accidentally. I would imagine they have something to prevent it from going into Park while driving. If not they will wish they had.

I had high hopes for it, but it's just not jumping out at me.
Old 12-10-15, 07:05 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

I quite like it, inside and out.

At least hyundai is in the league of big flagship sedans, unlike infiniti and acura

Originally Posted by rominl
style wise alone though, i think the steering wheel is still better than the s class regular wheel
wait, you don't like the clown face steering wheel in the s class?
Old 12-10-15, 07:41 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by greg3852
That shifter location looks weird in the pics I've seen. Almost looks like you have to either go over the top of the shifter or sneak your hand in between it and the dash to hit the P button. I think it would get hit accidentally. I would imagine they have something to prevent it from going into Park while driving. If not they will wish they had.

I had high hopes for it, but it's just not jumping out at me.
If you have your hand resting on the shifter, it's not hard to push the Park button.

That said, I think the new Audi Q7's shifter is a little better, with the P button on the shifter itself.

Old 12-10-15, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I quite like it, inside and out.

At least hyundai is in the league of big flagship sedans, unlike infiniti and acura

wait, you don't like the clown face steering wheel in the s class?
lol you missed my reaction when i first saw it
Old 12-11-15, 05:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
That said, I think the new Audi Q7's shifter is a little better, with the P button on the shifter itself.

Interesting. Many shifters have a big side-button on them that you push to release the parking-prowl and take the vehicle OUT of Park. That's the first one I've seen that (apparantly) does the opposite...you push it to actually engage Park?
Old 12-11-15, 08:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting. Many shifters have a big side-button on them that you push to release the parking-prowl and take the vehicle OUT of Park. That's the first one I've seen that (apparantly) does the opposite...you push it to actually engage Park?
It's not the opposite. There's still a button on the side (closest to the driver) that is depressed for shifting movements/selections, this P button is on the Front/Back (facing the rear of the vehicle), that is used for the park function.

This is not all too different from BMW, which puts the P at the top of their joystick shifter, and has a button on the side for people to push for shifter movements.
Old 12-11-15, 10:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
It's not the opposite. There's still a button on the side (closest to the driver) that is depressed for shifting movements/selections, this P button is on the Front/Back (facing the rear of the vehicle), that is used for the park function.
OK, Thanks. It was somewhat confusing in the picture....that's why I said "apparently" opposite...couldn't completely tell just from the image.

And hopefully, they'll have a computer interlock that prevents actual use of that park button while the vehicle is in motion. There will be transmission parts lying all over the street LOL.
Old 12-11-15, 11:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, Thanks. It was somewhat confusing in the picture....that's why I said "apparently" opposite...couldn't completely tell just from the image.

And hopefully, they'll have a computer interlock that prevents actual use of that park button while the vehicle is in motion. There will be transmission parts lying all over the street LOL.
Mmarshall, even most of today's cars with "traditional" levers, aren't physically directly connected any more. They don't engage whatever you select at the exact moment you move the lever.

Quick Reply: Genesis G90 reviews and news