Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus hybrids 'always charged,' says slogan (unlike electric cars)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Lexus hybrids 'always charged,' says slogan (unlike electric cars)

Like the anti plug-in hybrid ads from 2014, Lexus is still against PHEV

ALWAYS CHARGED. ALWAYS READY.

THE LEXUS HYBRID LINE.

Toyota has made it abundantly clear that it believes its hybrids and hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles are a better path to the future than battery-electric cars.

The Japanese automaker believes hybrid cars—a segment it dominates—are the more practical choice for reducing fuel consumption, and that fuel-cell cars will eventually surpass battery electrics as the preferred technology to power zero-emission vehicles.

That attitude extends particularly to Toyota's Lexus luxury brand.

Lexus has taken shots at electric cars before in ads, but the latest jab comes right from its main website.

A banner on the page for hybrid models now reads "Always Charged. Always Ready."

Further down the page, the copy declares that Lexus hybrids "perfectly blend fuel efficiency, instantaneous power and indulgent luxury—all with nothing to plug in."

That would imply that hybrids are the more convenient choice because they never have to be plugged in—unlike all-electric cars.

It's absolutely true that some car buyers simply don't want to deal with charging an electric car, especially if the installation of a home charging station isn't practical for them.

But in painting this picture, what Lexus leaves out is that no hybrids can match the energy efficiency of electric cars over their entire drive cycle.

Many consumers find the idea of a vehicle with zero tailpipe emissions appealing, and are willing to spend 10 seconds to plug in a car to achieve that.

As many electric-car owners will attest, plugging is far less onerous or challenging than some might think.

The increasing availability of public charging stations is only making it easier.

Still, Lexus is expected to continue focusing on conventional hybrids—no plug-in hybrids like the Toyota Prius Prime are anticipated—and possibly offer a hydrogen fuel-cell model in the future.

It currently sells five hybrid models in the U.S., including hybrid versions of the ES and GS sedans and RX and NX crossovers.

There's also the dedicated CT 200h hatchback, now at the end of its model cycle. It's expected to reappear in a new generation as a sedan, perhaps with the hatchback version remaining.

Lexus also plans to introduce a low-volume hybrid version of its upcoming LC luxury coupe, called the LC 500h.

As for fuel cells, the next LS full-size sedan (previously offered as a hybrid) may get a hydrogen fuel-cell powertrain during its next redesign.

This was hinted at by the LF-FC fuel-cell concept car that debuted at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show last year.
Source
Old 10-12-16, 03:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lexus can't do a full line of full electric if they are committed to hybrid. It simply does not make sense for them, Lexus is in too deep with hybrids.
Old 10-12-16, 08:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with Lexus on this one. For most drivers, most of the time, hybrids DO make more sense...especially if the gas engine runs enough not only to keep the batteries charged, but to also recent deterioration of the gas engine itself from inadequate lubrication and activity.

I also agree that fuel-cell cars make more sense than pure battery-electrics, but ONLY if an adequate refueling infrastructure for the compressed-hydrogen can be made, which, in the U.S., generally doesn't exist except for some parts of California.
Old 10-12-16, 10:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,807 Likes on 2,374 Posts

Stupid slogan. Also if hydrogen was such a great "fuel" it would be used to run power plants instead of using the energy directly.
Old 10-12-16, 10:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

People still buy hybrids? Gas is so cheap!
Old 10-12-16, 11:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Good for Lexus. Most buyers aren't smart enough to realize they are not going to recoup their initial hybrid expense. So this is a good way to gain some extra profit and sound like a green company in the process. Win win for all.
Old 10-13-16, 07:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It'll be interesting to see how this all looks in another 10 years.

I've been extremely surprised at how much I like the hybrid system in our Highlander. Lucky for me, I'm smart enough to figure out that, even at our current low gas prices, I can break even within my lease period. If gas goes up, which I expect it will, I'll be ahead. Though frankly, our decision to go hybrid was more about the fact that we liked how it drives and the extended fuel range per tank (with little kids, the fewer times we're stopping at a gas station, the better). If I didn't fully recoup the investment, I wouldn't care.
Old 10-13-16, 08:12 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprisingly Toyota acknowledges BEVs are in upswing and this is their stand cause they don't have any.
Beyond stupid tagline anyway. And on top of that their hybrids cannot be charged unless the car is refueled and they offer exactly 0 miles of emissions free ride.