Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where do you stand on the gaping grille trend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 07:31 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Or AC condenser

i heard a crazy story that a rock slipped through the grille, caused 2k+ for the repair on that. But more than half of the grille area is fake mesh anyway on those huge gaps.
That's right -- the bumper is still there, just hidden behind the mesh of the big grille. And that is how the automakers started their move to the big grilles. They first frame the grille from above the front bumper to below the bumper, but keep the front bumper visible, as either black plastic or body-coloured plastic. This is every evident on the current generation of the Lexus ES:

2015 (pre-facelift) Lexus ES has the front bumper visible between the top and bottom halves of the spindle grille.

2016 (facelifted) Lexus ES has the front bumper hidden behind the spindle grille. But if you look carefully (and head-on to it) you can see the bumper hidden behind the mesh.
Old 10-19-16, 06:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

It used to be unique, now I'm just bored of it and actually turned off by it. I wish they can make it more elegant.
Old 10-19-16, 08:43 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO it's just awful looking. I can't wait for the fad to die out, except I'm concerned about what fresh horror they'll replace it with.
Old 10-19-16, 10:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota and Lexus are darned if they do and darned if they don't with you people. There is no satisfying you, is there?

Before the Lexus spindle grille and Toyota's large grilles, the complaint was that Toyota and Lexus vehicles were too boring. So they added some different styling, and now, they look ugly.
Yep, totally agree.

I love the new lexus era. At least it's sporty and edgy AND has the driving dynamic to go with it.
Old 10-19-16, 10:33 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It's not just people here that don't care for the grill/front end. Most of the reviews agree that they are polarizing. Not a good or bad thing, and I'm sure the Lexus brand is well aware of it.
Old 10-19-16, 11:50 AM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RX's new grill looks amazing to me, fight me. But on a serious note, it's not objectively good or bad looking, some people like it some don't, get over it.
Old 10-19-16, 12:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempock
The RX's new grill looks amazing to me, fight me. But on a serious note, it's not objectively good or bad looking, some people like it some don't, get over it.
It's easy to just say "Get over it".......but that's not the way the auto business works. You can't get people to like something (or to separate themselves from their hard-earned money) just by telling them to suck it up.

Now, of course, having said that, if this vehicle's history is any guide, it will sell in decent numbers (if not in quite the same numbers as before) simply because it has an "L" and "RX" on it. Even with polarizing designs, old habits are sometimes hard to break.....although Ford and Mercury admittedly paid a price from 1995-1999 when they re-did the Taurus/Sable into those all-oval designs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 12:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

embrace it or buy a car from 1980
Old 10-19-16, 01:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempock
some people like it some don't, get over it.
That is the whole idea. Compared to the last gen model without the spindle grille which has almost everyone agreeing that it is dull and boring. Do I like the new RX front end? NO, not in any way. It is horrendous. But do I think it is boring or not catchy? Not at all.
Old 10-21-16, 06:36 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Toyota and Lexus are darned if they do and darned if they don't with you people. There is no satisfying you, is there?

Before the Lexus spindle grille and Toyota's large grilles, the complaint was that Toyota and Lexus vehicles were too boring. So they added some different styling, and now, they look ugly.
Nothing wrong with new styling. The problem is ugly new styling.

In other words, they're not ugly because the styling is new, they're ugly because they're ugly.
Old 10-21-16, 09:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't look that bad in person but it seems to be trying too hard.

The Wall Street Journal's Dan Neil doing one of the most caustic take-downs of the RX's spindle. Brilliant writing but he does admit that it's a popular vehicle and there's a lot of praise for the RX's drivetrain.

This is of those times I am mystified by popular taste. The Lexus RX premium crossover sells about 100,000 copies a year, every year? Really? This plush, pas de balles, early-Cubist nightmare with a smile like **** Cheney will sell 100 grand in the next 12 months?

Almost certainly, because—timing. The Lexus RX (1998) was a pioneer in a market segment that now dominates the portfolios and profits of many auto makers: premium crossovers/SUVs. The lineup includes Acura MDX, Lincoln MKX, Mercedes-Benz GLE SUV/GLE Coupe, and Volvo XC90, the last being my pick of the litter.

What is it that people find so appealing about the Lexus RX Premier Crossover?

But if the people want a Lexus crossover, by God, a Lexus it shall be. Indeed, the company’s product planners seem to be locked into a morbid feedback loop with current, much-dialogued Lexus owners, making features that strike many outside the circle as just plain weird into brand signatures.

...The RX’s carry-over engine, the 3.5-liter V6, can be celebrated, I suppose, as one of the last naturally aspirated, premium-market engines. It’s not a trivial piece, either: port/direct-injection with a 11:8 compression ratio, and variable valve timing that can switch between Otto and fuel-saving Atkinson combustion cycle, as load requires. Try that with your ’32 Ford Flathead.To add depth and color to the sound of the naturally aspirated V6, there is a resonator device on the intake side of the engine, a snarling little duck call that plays in the higher rpm. Snirr! The transverse-mounted engine’s 295 hp (up 25 over the previous model) and 267 pound-feet of torque get pumped through the whispering, if overeager, eight-speed automatic transmission.

That delivers 0-60 mph acceleration pace in the 7s—adequate, though hardly besotting. A little more body structure here, some retuning of the MacPherson strut/double-wishbone rear suspension there. Otherwise, and except for the hallucinogens in the styling department’s water, the RX is a dependably iterative generation of Lexus’s bread-and-butter product. So, about the styling. Is it in pain? Should somebody help it? No, it’s just very focused on being exciting. These stylistic exertions are, as near as I can tell from the media briefing, the direct result and marching orders from Toyota president Akio Toyoda, who has publicly expressed his desire to raise the Lexus brand’s emotional temperature. The RX is practically a nervous wreck.

The Lexus’s spindle grille—in F Sport trim comprising a warped field of black plastic webbing, outlined in lustrous alloy lips—is the brand singularity, drawing us toward a Lexus badge with arrows pointing to it from all sides, including the LED headlamps and arrowhead pointed bezels of the cornering lamps. At night it looks like its own dealership. At one point, as recounted in the briefing, the RX program managers went to see Mr. Toyoda after he had driven a late-phase prototype and he asked them, sagely, “Is it the best you can do?” See, it’s all about the inflection. But, in fairness, no crossover/SUV on the market is a beauty, due to packaging and performance constraints.

In the luxe-SUV segment, all dimensions are obliged to grow over time: head, leg and hip room; seating height (H point); luggage capacity and overall interior cubes.By the time you accommodate all that, with a V6 engine, eight-speed transmission and all-wheel drive, you have two big, ugly boring boxes. These must be rakishly dressed in stamped steel panels, glass and resinous plastics, as convincingly as possible. The RX’s vigorous light-lining, slashes of character lines and vectoring rays of negative draft (the hollows in the sheet metal) are what’s required when you want to make a box look like it has shoulders.

Stylistic trade-offs can be costly, too. For example, the front overhang of the RX 350 F Sport ($49,125), our top-shelf tester, jutted out to catch the handsomely made, aggressively styled, acutely useless twin-splitter, pouting at the lower front bumper. Sassy, sultry? Yes, but every millimeter comes at the cost of vehicle approach angle, the maximum incline negotiable without the vehicle’s nose touching the ground.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/lexus-rx...ong-1447876499
Old 10-22-16, 09:59 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

it really works for Lexus. better than I thought it would honestly. gives our cars a more polarizing, unique, and aggressive look. I love it! and when you see one going down the road now, its never been clearer its a lexus then it is now.
the new RX F-sport looks like a weapon! the regular one, a luxury urban assault vehicle. the ES looks like a menacing demon in the rear view. -which is something I would have NEVER dreamed in a million years about these two cars. the words "menacing" or "weapon" never came to mind when looking at the pre 2016 models. at this point, in styling, they could pull off a ES-F or an RX-F.

however,
the new camry and corolla. epic, spectacular fail. it looks like half the bumper fell off the front of the car.
Old 10-22-16, 01:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
it really works for Lexus. better than I thought it would honestly. gives our cars a more polarizing, unique, and aggressive look. I love it! and when you see one going down the road now, its never been clearer its a lexus then it is now.
the new RX F-sport looks like a weapon! the regular one, a luxury urban assault vehicle. the ES looks like a menacing demon in the rear view. -which is something I would have NEVER dreamed in a million years about these two cars. the words "menacing" or "weapon" never came to mind when looking at the pre 2016 models. at this point, in styling, they could pull off a ES-F or an RX-F.

however,
the new camry and corolla. epic, spectacular fail. it looks like half the bumper fell off the front of the car.
It is true they stand out and are unmistakable. However, I don't think any luxury car maker wants their cars to be associated with the words or look of "menacing" or "like a weapon." Luxury, grace, sportiness, modern, edgy, artful... would be things they want to achieve.
Old 10-22-16, 10:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

ah the "you people" rant. it's not 'our' fault that lexus went from bland to over the top in some cases.
Old 10-23-16, 08:37 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, "you people" is never considered to be a term of endearment.

Quick Reply: Where do you stand on the gaping grille trend?