Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

W213 Mercedes-AMG E63 4MATIC+ and E63 S 4MATIC+ debuts – the most powerful E-Class

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 05:29 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
time to get the 2014 tuned! i still wish AMG would go supercharged again, the E63 biturbo doesn't have that instantaneous whiplash power delivery that the E55 did.
It doesn't, but it's a lot better when it's tuned. These cars are an absolute animal when tuned.
Old 10-28-16, 03:07 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

time to get the 2014 tuned! i still wish AMG would go supercharged again, the E63 biturbo doesn't have that instantaneous whiplash power delivery that the E55 did.
Just down shift one gear will solve your problem.
Old 10-28-16, 04:00 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
Just down shift one gear will solve your problem.
oh once you're out on the road and already up to speed the thing f***ing rips, but the first 15 mph arrive quite gently and gradually. using race start or brake torquing makes a huge improvement but considering how much power it has the initial takeoff is somewhat underwhelming. don't get me wrong it's a hell of a lot more usable than the E55, but that car sounded and felt like a hotrod, but the E63 feels like a fast E550. it's an amazing car, i don't wanna sound like i'm complaining or anything lol...
Old 11-01-16, 09:01 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

this forum really doesn't seem to care about high performance cars, the new camry thread is killing this one haha
Old 11-02-16, 10:48 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I think there are a few reasons why that E55 "feels like a hotrod". #1 is the instant torque a supercharger gives you. #2 is that they didn't put any computer nannies in there to limit horsepower/cut fuel at WOT/0MPH, you get all that torque/power at idle, no computer interference provided you shut off traction control.

Also there is a pretty good community of enthusiasts around that 5.4 supercharged V8 engine, you can easily squeeze another 150hp out of it with a supercharger pulley swap, some air intake mods, a better exhaust and a reprogrammed ECU. Basically that 2003 Benz will run with the new AMG models if you have a couple thousand dollars to play around with. And what I really love about that engine vs the newer turbo motors, is the off idle torque and it just sounds glorious with that big V8 sound and supercharger whine. IMO that old engine from 15 years ago, with some aftermarket help is on par with what the factory is putting out today.
Old 11-02-16, 11:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But with couple thousands, a simple ECU tune and down pipe can also bump the new motor another 150HP. Turbo motor is even easier to mod. But I agree the supercharger whine and the old motor just sounds crazy.
Old 11-03-16, 07:42 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
But with couple thousands, a simple ECU tune and down pipe can also bump the new motor another 150HP. Turbo motor is even easier to mod. But I agree the supercharger whine and the old motor just sounds crazy.
The old motor is awesome, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the bi-turbo motor. Also, the old motor suffered from heatsoaking issues and was mated to a very sloppy 5 speed automatic transmission. Also, that E Class generation was awful in the turns while the newer car is much better and feels a lot more nimble even though the weight is about the same.
Old 11-03-16, 08:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DONT SLEEP
The old motor is awesome, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the bi-turbo motor. Also, the old motor suffered from heatsoaking issues and was mated to a very sloppy 5 speed automatic transmission. Also, that E Class generation was awful in the turns while the newer car is much better and feels a lot more nimble even though the weight is about the same.
Totally agree...
Old 11-03-16, 06:42 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

how would you know what the biturbo engine sounds like, NOBODY DOES!!! you can't hear the engine at all because the exhaust is always loud, and the turbo whistle takes care of any noise you might've otherwise heard. that exhaust is also tuned and sculpted to sound exactly like that, and it does sound awesome. but to me knowing that it only sounds like that because they intentionally did so takes away some of the coolness. the E55 sounded awesome because that's just the noise an AMG hand-built 5.4 liter supercharged V8 makes.
Old 11-07-16, 10:42 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

how would you know what the biturbo engine sounds like, NOBODY DOES!!! you can't hear the engine at all because the exhaust is always loud, and the turbo whistle takes care of any noise you might've otherwise heard. that exhaust is also tuned and sculpted to sound exactly like that, and it does sound awesome. but to me knowing that it only sounds like that because they intentionally did so takes away some of the coolness. the E55 sounded awesome because that's just the noise an AMG hand-built 5.4 liter supercharged V8 makes.
I guess to each his own... but I've owned both cars and I prefer the Bi-Turbo Motor over the Supercharged motor any day.
Old 11-07-16, 11:31 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

I guess to each his own... but I've owned both cars and I prefer the Bi-Turbo Motor over the Supercharged motor any day.
don't get me wrong, the newer car is SO much better than the E55... faster, more fuel efficient, more practical, much quicker shifting, more tuneable, safer, much more refined... but to me all of these things gave the E55 character. i always used to think clarkson was an idiot when he'd say a car was amazing but it lacked "soul" and therefore he didn't like it. after the E55, i completely understood what he meant. the car was quirky, things frequently broke and then magically started working again, and it was almost impossible to ever get the power down in 1st gear. this combined with the INSTANTANEOUS response of the supercharged engine just made the car more fun to me, plus it's a much prettier car.
Old 11-07-16, 11:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

For me, the ultimate sweet spot in AMG "character" was the W204 C63. That car was an absolute madhatter.
Old 11-08-16, 06:14 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Wink

don't get me wrong, the newer car is SO much better than the E55... faster, more fuel efficient, more practical, much quicker shifting, more tuneable, safer, much more refined... but to me all of these things gave the E55 character. i always used to think clarkson was an idiot when he'd say a car was amazing but it lacked "soul" and therefore he didn't like it. after the E55, i completely understood what he meant. the car was quirky, things frequently broke and then magically started working again, and it was almost impossible to ever get the power down in 1st gear. this combined with the INSTANTANEOUS response of the supercharged engine just made the car more fun to me, plus it's a much prettier car.
There is no way the W211 E55 looks better than the W212 (face-lifted) E63. The W211 AMG models were very bland looking and very hard to differentiate between the standard models. The W212 E63 with the face-lift has the nice, angular head lights, the red brake calipers, different color wheel options, more aggressive all the way around, lower profile tires, spoiler, etc.

Maybe you had better luck with your E55, but I was sick of all the electronics failing and parts breaking. I hope the newer models are more reliable so people consider buying them with 50-60k miles and keeping the cars for longer. I will most likely keep mine for as long as it doesn't have all the electronic failures my E55 had. They've already removed some of the problematic stuff from this car (SBC brake system, airmatic in the front) to help with that.

Yeah, the instantaneous torque was nice, but these cars are overall much faster... like you said. Downpipes and tune gets this car in the 10s very reliably while E55 requires pulleys, upgraded cooling, drag radial tires, etc. Supercharger is only good for that snappy power, but if you notice all the fast cars these days are turbocharged.
Old 11-08-16, 01:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

There is no way the W211 E55 looks better than the W212 (face-lifted) E63. The W211 AMG models were very bland looking and very hard to differentiate between the standard models. The W212 E63 with the face-lift has the nice, angular head lights, the red brake calipers, different color wheel options, more aggressive all the way around, lower profile tires, spoiler, etc.

Maybe you had better luck with your E55, but I was sick of all the electronics failing and parts breaking. I hope the newer models are more reliable so people consider buying them with 50-60k miles and keeping the cars for longer. I will most likely keep mine for as long as it doesn't have all the electronic failures my E55 had. They've already removed some of the problematic stuff from this car (SBC brake system, airmatic in the front) to help with that.

Yeah, the instantaneous torque was nice, but these cars are overall much faster... like you said. Downpipes and tune gets this car in the 10s very reliably while E55 requires pulleys, upgraded cooling, drag radial tires, etc. Supercharger is only good for that snappy power, but if you notice all the fast cars these days are turbocharged.
that E55 was easily one of the least reliable cars i've seen lol... that was the main reason it's no longer here. every so often it just wouldn't start and nobody could seem to diagnose it. idk i personally liked the understated elegance of the E55, and in general it got more thumbs up from people on the street. it also had the dynamic seats for both driver and passenger, whereas the W212 only has it for the driver. don't know why they'd do that, someone's unsuspecting reaction to the seat when they first felt it was one of the best parts of the car haha... curiously the europeans still get a dynamic passenger seat but not here

and again

Old 11-08-16, 01:32 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

it also had the dynamic seats for both driver and passenger, whereas the W212 only has it for the driver. don't know why they'd do that, someone's unsuspecting reaction to the seat when they first felt it was one of the best parts of the car haha... curiously the europeans still get a dynamic passenger seat but not here
The answer is always that market research decided that buyers didn't care to pay for that specific feature. Same reason power folding mirrors are now on almost every luxury car- no one cared about them until relatively recently. When market research determined it was a hot point, everyone added them in. Even Kia noticed, which is why you can several of their models are now equipped with them due to their "aura of luxury".

Quick Reply: W213 Mercedes-AMG E63 4MATIC+ and E63 S 4MATIC+ debuts – the most powerful E-Class